Camp Raffalli, Calvi

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
"CCCP" on a tail, legionnaires about to enter. Unusual scene, a piece of history right there. Ever jumped with Russian paras ? Bet your Russian buddies (legionnaires if there were any at moment in the 2REP) had their five minutes of fun and all.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Mark, Calvi must be the smallest military DZ anywhere. When the Brits would came to 2REP to jump for their French wings, a few of the lads always landed in the maquis at the end of the DZ. *For those that don’t know maquis is a short, ugly, impenetrable bush that you need a bulldozer to get through it...
Aye. I knew that DZ like the back of my hand. Coming back from ops we weren’t always allowed permission en ville right away. There was always some bloody alert or other. To make up for it the various mafias of the regiment especially the brits would have a beer 🍺 bash on the DZ well camouflaged!😆and far enough away so that you couldn’t hear it from the company buildings. Usually on the weekend. There were hidden caches of beer all over the place! Some crazy tales I could tell but will save that for another time.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I did See a Video where a guy landed on a roof & they had to get him down. 😆
5:35 Mark.
Not the first time that has happened nor will it be last. a slight pilot error or all of a sudden the wind picks up a stick a lads can be all over the place! i can still feel some of the bruises! slamming into the side of a building or onto the concrete is no fun! I’ve been lucky no broken bones just some cuts and scrapes and once a bad ankle sprain. Other lads were not so lucky! Par for the course i suppose. Sometimes i envied the cavalry!😊 but still wouldn’t of swapped it for the world. Cheers gunner!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Not the first time that has happened nor will it be last. a slight pilot error or all of a sudden the wind picks up a stick a lads can be all over the place! i can still feel some of the bruises! slamming into the side of a building or onto the concrete is no fun! I’ve been lucky no broken bones just some cuts and scrapes and once a bad ankle sprain. Other lads were not so lucky! Par for the course i suppose. Sometimes i envied the cavalry!😊 but still wouldn’t of swapped it for the world. Cheers gunner!
I would imagine landing in the Water is nö fun either with all that kit on & parachute dragging you down 🙂

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia

Attachments

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I would imagine landing in the Water is nö fun either with all that kit on & parachute dragging you down 🙂
Do you mean landing by accident? You are taught how to deal with that during your promo. I suppose the most dangerous part would be if the canopy lands on top of you.
If it's just a sea jump that is scheduled, you have a zodiac per para with two people in or one if the pilot is experienced.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean landing by accident? You are taught how to deal with that during your promo. I suppose the most dangerous part would be if the canopy lands on top of you.
If it's just a sea jump that is scheduled, you have a zodiac per para with two people in or one if the pilot is experienced.
I would soil my pants 😄was just wondering as you were on an Island & i've seen pictures of guy jumping sea in the background.. Maybe Wind takes you off course. Never parachuted so nö clue 🙂

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
After Kolwezi, 2e REP waiting for the arrival of French President Valéry Giscard d’Estaing (Bastia, Corsica) 9th June, 1978. Colonel Coevoet (then Captain), at the center, was my first Chef de Corps in 1989. Cpt Thomas was a damn hard man. He lived in the ville of Lumio for many years, after he retired overlooking Camp Raffalli. Érulin died of a heart attack in 1979. I have a wonderfull story about Thomas during my Corporals course in 1992. Let me know if you want to hear it...

Attachments

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Of course we want to hear. Anyone wanting to hear it put a thumbs up on Pink floyd's post. Anyone not wanting to hear put thumbs down under Dusa's posts ( in case he's getting nostalgic).

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
3Cie, compagnie noir...
Only did four jumps in the water. That was mostly reserved for 3e Cie. Once in a while lads who were good swimmers from other companies were allowed to suit up and do a jump with the 3e. I wasn’t a particularly good swimmer! But my mate Cpl. Arnold was. One of best in the regiment actually, so I managed to wrangle a few water jumps with him. Still glad to see those zodiacs down below waiting to pick us up!

For Mark...
Thank you Ossie. My God, how time flies! I’d give anything to have a beer with the lads. Probably never make it back to the airport though! I won’t be around when the anniversary comes on the 18th May. Think I just prefer to have a quiet glass of wine and think of the lads.
• CCH Youcef Alioui , CEA (Compagnie d'Éclairage et d'Appui), didn’t really know him.
• SCH Norbert Daniel, he was my chef de promo, a tough professional solder.
• CPL Paul Harte. A skinny lanky lad kept to himself, a bit of a loner.
• 1CL Jules Clément. A happy go lucky lad always ready to go down town and check out the local talent!
• And my mate CPL Richard Arnold. One of the best lads I ever knew. Always had a ready smile and a helping hand. A superb soldier. Would easy of made adjudant or adjudant-chef. But fate decided otherwise. It broke my heart when we found him. Clément, Harte and Arnold were all in my section (3e) of the 1re Cie. I miss you my brothers. Rest In Peace.

(...) Érulin died of a heart attack in 1979. (...)
R.I.P mon colonel.

Of course we want to hear. Anyone wanting to hear it put a thumbs up on Pink floyd's post. Anyone not wanting to hear put thumbs down under Dusa's posts ( in case he's getting nostalgic).
So let’s hear it! Might have story on one of those crazy beer 🍺 parties on the DZ. With the bloody mafia! 😊

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
For those that know...
In the foreground on the extreme right is the taule or jail house. Notice the small windows in the wall. These had grids on them with no panes. One of the grids was ripped out. The punis or prisoners would sleep on the floor. As a garde punis or prison warden in the morning when I would open the cell, the first thing that I'd do is tell them that there would be a kit check in ten minutes. There would then be a flurry of getting rid of empty beer bottles and cigarette butts which of course were not present when I locked them up.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
If I'm not mistaken, the higher building that we see in the background is the “tour de séchage” (drying tower), where the parachutes are left for drying before being repaired, if necessary, and refolded. Not sure if it still exists but at one point that job was done by the SEPP (Section d'Entretien et de Pliage des Parachutes).

Most viewed threads of the week