OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
If I'm not mistaken, the higher building that we see in the background is the “tour de séchage” (drying tower), where the parachutes are left for drying before being repaired, if necessary, and refolded. Not sure if it still exists but at one point that job was done by the SEPP (Section d'Entretien et de Pliage des Parachutes).
SEPP is still there. The REP pack and repair all their chutes in 2019. In front of the SEPP (in the photo) is the batiments of 3rd company and our noisy neighbours 4th company. That single story building in line with the flagpole is my old section...

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Some terrible news. Paul “Jacko” James was killed in Wales (Thursday) when a car hit him whilst he was riding his bicycle. Jacko was a fine paratrooper, a great character and dear friend. He served in the 4Cie 2REP, as well as ex British Para...R.I.P Jacko.

Attachments

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Some terrible news. Paul “Jacko” James was killed in Wales (Thursday) when a car hit him whilst he was riding his bicycle. Jacko was a fine paratrooper, a great character and dear friend. He served in the 4Cie 2REP, as well as ex British Para...R.I.P Jacko.
Rest In Peace Jacko.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Yes mate. Time flies.
Do you remember Darlyn, French guy, heavy set, he was down in CA for years? I ran into him in a hotel Première Classe just up from the Préfecture in Marseille. I had to go and pick up my new passport in France. Erika told me that a prison warden was looking at me as if he knew me. We were getting our breakfast at the buffet.
I looked around and saw the dark blue uniform with the words Administration pénitentaire on the chest. I shook my head and said no. She said I think he does because he keeps looking at you. It was Darlyn alright. They were picking up prisoners from the Beaumettes (Marseille civilian prison) to take them... Somewhere.

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Yes mate. Time flies.
Do you remember Darlyn, French guy, heavy set, he was down in CA for years? I ran into him in a hotel Première Classe just up from the Préfecture in Marseille. I had to go and pick up my new passport in France. Erika told me that a prison warden was looking at me as if he knew me. We were getting our breakfast at the buffet.
I looked around and saw the dark blue uniform with the words Administration pénitentaire on the chest. I shook my head and said no. She said I think he does because he keeps looking at you. It was Darlyn alright. They were picking up prisoners from the Beaumettes (Marseille civilian prison) to take them... Somewhere.
Check for a PM.

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
3Cie 2REP, first time (top photo) we went into Ethiopia during ‘Operation Godoria’ May-June 1991. Second time (bottom two photos) was by chopper flying across the border from the Somalian village of Oddur 1992-93... The map shows our area of ops.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
All of us are gutted Joe... A photo from his 60th birthday back in 2017. A lot of the old faces you’ll know from Calvi. Jacko is sitting at the front, on the right.
I got this today from Anto Barry (REP): “I supposed you heard about Jacko (4 Cie). He passed away a few days ago, he was supposed to be coming over to Dublin for Camerone with a few of the lads from the British Amicale.”
Tony Barry is a friend of ours who is in the Irish Amicale.

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Barry was in CCS when I arrived from 3Cie. I remember Jacko and a few of the blokes mentioning that they were going to Dublin for Camerone on Facebook. It will be a sombre affair now with Jacko’s death. Pass on my regards to Irish Barry.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Barry was in CCS when I arrived from 3Cie. I remember Jacko and a few of the blokes mentioning that they were going to Dublin for Camerone on Facebook. It will be a sombre affair now with Jacko’s death. Pass on my regards to Irish Barry.
He was in my section when I first got to the REP -MILAN 2. His sidekick Allen Barnes who was in MILAN 1 was also in the casernement. BTW did you know that Barnes was all Ireland kick boxing champion?

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Barnes was a top bloke, straight shooter. All the Irish were solid during my time. They always get a good turnout in Dublin for Camerone each year. I believe Hoey is the current president of the Irish Amicale.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Paul Hoey is the current president until Camerone when he will be handing over the reins to someone else. I forget whom, but I'll let you know.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I was sent this by a friend.
Councillor Paul James dies after Aberystwyth cycling crash
  • 12 April 2019
Paul James
Image copyrightPLAID CYMRUImage captionTributes have been paid to Paul James, who died after the crash on Thursday
A cyclist who died after a crash involving two cars was a county councillor, it has been confirmed.
Paul James died after the collision on the A487 between Waun Fawr and Bow Street, near Aberystwyth, on Thursday.
Plaid Cymru, presiding officer Elin Jones and fellow Ceredigion councillor Paul Hinge all called him a "larger than life character".
Mr James had been training for a bike ride to raise funds for hospitals where he was treated for a heart condition.
Dyfed-Powys Police said he died from injuries he suffered in the crash.
Ceredigion AM and presiding officer Elin Jones described it as "heartbreaking news to hear of the loss of my great friend".
In a post on Facebook, she said: "Such a loss to so many people and causes, but especially his family.
"There is only one way to describe Paul James: Larger than life."
She described him as "a work of art" who served his community "with passion and diligence" and fought elections like "military operations".
Bow Street
Image copyrightGOOGLEImage captionThe incident happened on the A487, near Bow Street
Describing his death as "very sad news", Mr Hinge posted on Facebook: "Paul James was a larger than life character who worked tirelessly for the people in his ward and as a long standing member of the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, both of which he was passionate about.
"Both he and I were veterans and we both shared the desire to help where necessary our colleagues both serving and ex-forces.
"We may have been political opponents but comradeship was overarching."
Liberal Democrat Mr Hinge said of his Plaid Cymru colleague: "Sleep tight Paul, your duty is done.
"Until we meet again on that great parade ground above."
Ceredigion council leader Ellen ap Gwynn said flags were flying at half-mast in memory of "a much respected son and loyal servant of the county".
'Big heart'
She said Mr James worked at Aberystwyth University as a security officer and had served as a paratrooper in the British Army and in the French Foreign Legion.
"Paul was born and bred in Aberystwyth and was a well-known character with a big heart," she added.
"We are all extremely saddened by this awful news."
In a statement, his party said: "Plaid Cymru is devastated to hear of the sudden passing of our dearest friend councillor, Paul James.
"He served his community of Llanbadarn with passion, commitment and loyalty. You were larger than life."
Mr James had been in training for a 140 mile (225km) bike ride.
He hoped to raise £10,000 by cycling from the Dyfi ward cardiac monitoring unit at Bronglais Hospital, Aberystwyth to the cardio-thoracic high dependency unit at Swansea's Morriston Hospital.
The ride was due to take place on 25 and 26 May.

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
I was sent this by a friend.
Councillor Paul James dies after Aberystwyth cycling crash
  • 12 April 2019
Paul James
Image copyrightPLAID CYMRUImage captionTributes have been paid to Paul James, who died after the crash on Thursday
A cyclist who died after a crash involving two cars was a county councillor, it has been confirmed.
Paul James died after the collision on the A487 between Waun Fawr and Bow Street, near Aberystwyth, on Thursday.
Plaid Cymru, presiding officer Elin Jones and fellow Ceredigion councillor Paul Hinge all called him a "larger than life character".
Mr James had been training for a bike ride to raise funds for hospitals where he was treated for a heart condition.
Dyfed-Powys Police said he died from injuries he suffered in the crash.
Ceredigion AM and presiding officer Elin Jones described it as "heartbreaking news to hear of the loss of my great friend".
In a post on Facebook, she said: "Such a loss to so many people and causes, but especially his family.
"There is only one way to describe Paul James: Larger than life."
She described him as "a work of art" who served his community "with passion and diligence" and fought elections like "military operations".
Bow Street
Image copyrightGOOGLEImage captionThe incident happened on the A487, near Bow Street
Describing his death as "very sad news", Mr Hinge posted on Facebook: "Paul James was a larger than life character who worked tirelessly for the people in his ward and as a long standing member of the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, both of which he was passionate about.
"Both he and I were veterans and we both shared the desire to help where necessary our colleagues both serving and ex-forces.
"We may have been political opponents but comradeship was overarching."
Liberal Democrat Mr Hinge said of his Plaid Cymru colleague: "Sleep tight Paul, your duty is done.
"Until we meet again on that great parade ground above."
Ceredigion council leader Ellen ap Gwynn said flags were flying at half-mast in memory of "a much respected son and loyal servant of the county".
'Big heart'
She said Mr James worked at Aberystwyth University as a security officer and had served as a paratrooper in the British Army and in the French Foreign Legion.
"Paul was born and bred in Aberystwyth and was a well-known character with a big heart," she added.
"We are all extremely saddened by this awful news."
In a statement, his party said: "Plaid Cymru is devastated to hear of the sudden passing of our dearest friend councillor, Paul James.
"He served his community of Llanbadarn with passion, commitment and loyalty. You were larger than life."
Mr James had been in training for a 140 mile (225km) bike ride.
He hoped to raise £10,000 by cycling from the Dyfi ward cardiac monitoring unit at Bronglais Hospital, Aberystwyth to the cardio-thoracic high dependency unit at Swansea's Morriston Hospital.
The ride was due to take place on 25 and 26 May.
Joe, well done mate. Jacko was a larger than life character. I can still remember having a beer with him in the 4Cie club the day before he left to head off to Aubagne for his fin de contrat. There will be a good turnout for his funeral as a mark of respect for the man. Here’s a photo of him from a year or two ago....

Attachments

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I have to admit that I didn't know what a county councillor did so I looked it up:

A councillor is someone who is elected by local people to represent them on a local council. ... County councillors are elected for a four year term. It is a role that many of our current elected members have described as both enjoyable and demanding.

Both enjoyable and demanding - would suit Jacko down to a tee I'd have thought.

Most viewed threads of the week