Camp Raffalli, Calvi

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
May I just say that the photo shows an addition to the museum. However that which stands out, to me, -as ancien garde punis- is the raked gravel.
Each company has a HUGE rake. I kid you not we are talking about humungous size. The pas de couleur has been raked recently by the punis i.e. jailbirds.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
For Mark...
If you like Ossie I will send you and Joseph some thoughts and memories of the operation over the next couple of weeks. I will be sixty five next month. 😱. My 24th birthday was in Kolwezi. Par for the course! I get the impression from some of the young hopefuls that joining the Legion nowadays is a step to a cushy career! Think again! Ask any of the greens around here. Volt, Jonny, Main, Papillon, you Joseph and a few others. One day you will be sent (not asked! 🤣) on a combat operation and that means putting your life on the line! Nobody forced us to sign on the dotted line! (contract ) you just bloody well get on with it and hope for the best! anyway enough waffle from me. Cheers mate.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
If you like Ossie I will send you and Joseph some thoughts and memories of the operation over the next couple of weeks. (...)
I think it will be a great honor for you to sent us your memories, but even more so a great motivation for those who are going, or still contemplating going.

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
If you like Ossie I will send you and Joseph some thoughts and memories of the operation over the next couple of weeks. I will be sixty five next month. 😱. My 24th birthday was in Kolwezi. Par for the course! I get the impression from some of the young hopefuls that joining the Legion nowadays is a step to a cushy career! Think again! Ask any of the greens around here. Volt, Jonny, Main, Papillon, you Joseph and a few others. One day you will be sent (not asked! 🤣) on a combat operation and that means putting your life on the line! Nobody forced us to sign on the dotted line! (contract ) you just bloody well get on with it and hope for the best! anyway enough waffle from me. Cheers mate.
Mark, please do. A/Chef Legris stuck his head into the 3Cie company club one afternoon and motioned for me to follow him. In his office down the hallway he had dozens of photos of Kolwezi on his desk. We spent the next hour or so talking about the whole operation. Good man Legris...built like a tank!

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Only did four jumps in the water. That was mostly reserved for 3e Cie. Once in a while lads who were good swimmers from other companies were allowed to suit up and do a jump with the 3e. I wasn’t a particularly good swimmer! But my mate Cpl. Arnold was. One of best in the regiment actually, so I managed to wrangle a few water jumps with him. Still glad to see those zodiacs down below waiting to pick us up!

Thank you Ossie. My God, how time flies! I’d give anything to have a beer with the lads. Probably never make it back to the airport though! I won’t be around when the anniversary comes on the 18th May. Think I just prefer to have a quiet glass of wine and think of the lads.
• CCH Youcef Alioui , CEA (Compagnie d'Éclairage et d'Appui), didn’t really know him.
• SCH Norbert Daniel, he was my chef de promo, a tough professional solder.
• CPL Paul Harte. A skinny lanky lad kept to himself, a bit of a loner.
• 1CL Jules Clément. A happy go lucky lad always ready to go down town and check out the local talent!
• And my mate CPL Richard Arnold. One of the best lads I ever knew. Always had a ready smile and a helping hand. A superb soldier. Would easy of made adjudant or adjudant-chef. But fate decided otherwise. It broke my heart when we found him. Clément, Harte and Arnold were all in my section (3e) of the 1re Cie. I miss you my brothers. Rest In Peace.

R.I.P mon colonel.

So let’s hear it! Might have story on one of those crazy beer 🍺 parties on the DZ. With the bloody mafia! 😊

Attachments

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I remember talking to an old retired para many years ago at aldershot. at the end some parade or other. Later on at the pub and many beers later! he would open up and tell us some of the stuff he had been through. Well educated but he had refused the kings commission. Preferring instead to serve in the ranks. He had been there at Arnhem and and a few other ops to boot. Had the medals and all the rest. And like it or not they still made him corporal! Anyway he had a way with words. He is long gone too. these are his words not mine. Quote: I have seen my comrades through heaven and hell. Many fell to shot and shell. and now we go through the gauntlet of life. and watch the grim reaper with his knife! but I fear naught for I am in good company! fitting words for all the lads we knew and are no longer with us.

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Just got off the phone with Mick McKerl, he's staying in the den of sin Pattaya, or rather just outside of it.
Legio Patria Nostra.
Good man McKerl. I was about 30-40 metres behind him when CPT Delaney went straight over a cliff edge on a night op on Corsica. McKerl was his radio man at the time. Delaney broke his leg and a few other bones. Mercury replaced him as CDU 3Cie. McKerl and Dave Cooper were good radio men. Pass on my regards

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I will, it was good talking to him after so long. We'd exchanged a couple of emails since Paul Hoey told him that I was looking for a job recently. Have a couple of beers for me mate, and "to old friends".
I'm on 'cheers' beers at the moment because they are stronger than Chang beers. Erika has gone to Hua Hin to get some money out as all the ATMs are out of cash here.
Tomorrow is the 1st of May and then on the 4-6 of May is the King's coronation, so we need the readies.

I just re-read your post, was Dave Cooper the guy with the Jimmy Hill chin that everyone called cooperman? Ended up in the CCS?

Most viewed threads of the week