a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• The Forum will be unavailable within a few hours while we are fixing/upgrading

Can a private individual lay a wreath at the Monument aux Morts?

sig2340

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Gentlemen,

I have a small chance of a business trip to France in late September. With COVID-19 disrupting things, who knows if it will happen.

When this came up, I said to myself “How far is it from Paris to Aubagne?” After all if my employer wants to fly me across the Pond, I must take advantage of the opportunity to see the Musée de la Légion étrangère.

That prompted another idea, which is the reason for this thread. Does the Legion permit individuals to lay a wreath at the Monument aux Morts? If so, do you have any idea who I would need to contact about doing so?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi sig, I can't see it. The monument aux is on the voie sacrée, which about sums it up. If you were laying it on behalf of an association connected to the legion, perhaps. There would be ceremony and the like.

Otherwise you could lay a wreath at the Legion cemetery, I'm not sure where it is in Aubagne, but it won't be far. Should you have enough time you could always make the trip to Puyloubier, but you have to know how to get there.

sig2340

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi sig, I can't see it. The monument aux is on the voie sacrée, which about sums it up. If you were laying it on behalf of an association connected to the Legion, perhaps. There would be ceremony and the like.

Otherwise you could lay a wreath at the legion cemetery, I'm not sure where it is in Aubagne, but it won't be far. Should you have enough time you could always make the trip to Puyloubier, but you have to know how to get there.
Thank you, sir.

Off to work on Plan B.