a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian looking to join

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Was called B.S.L.E.,in my time

Quite right Andy. It was across from the infermerie, up the road from the CAPLE. In those days they used to give all your clothes to the red cross. At least what was left of them after the Cch had renewed his family's wardrobe. I mention this because I had just come back from Norway, 4 months and going back up to Arbroath after leave. One of the things I had was a deer skin jacket which cost me a fortune.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My son is called Duncan, btw
Adjudant Duncan, was commissaire /trésorier, CCS, 2 rei
Married and settled
Frum a well known west cost (scotland )
family of solicitor, notaires. ..or something like that
Like for most west coasters, I kidnae understand much he blaverd, and he like wise
In Scotland, you have : west coasters, Weegies, east coasters (talk like irish with a boom up their arse, Lothian hackle (wannabe englishmuns) chew their voyowels, North easterners , Aberdeen and shoite. ..talk like Dalaks
Then there is me, i talk Scots and dinnae let nae buck tell you other wise

True story
Brits couldn't understand what i was saying half the time
Always having to repeat myself. ..tiresome!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Joe, if i remember correctly
BSLE was above the auld wannabes building. ..facing the CAPLE
Red cross thing. ..near the magasin de corps, en face de la trésorerie ?
Shady souvenirs is all i have to offer

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That's right. I remember lining up each morning and waiting for my name to be called out. If it wasn't for interviews, then it was for corvee. And failing all that, it was the television room where we watched video after video of the legion. Oftentimes the corporals would put the old video on top of the pile. Then when another corporal came to change it he'd pick the video from the top of the pile.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
My son is called Duncan, btw
Adjudant Duncan, was commissaire /trésorier, CCS, 2 rei
Married and settled
Frum a well known west cost (scotland )
family of solicitor, notaires. ..or something like that
Like for most west coasters, I kidnae understand much he blaverd, and he like wise
In Scotland, you have : west coasters, Weegies, east coasters (talk like irish with a boom up their arse, Lothian hackle (wannabe englishmuns) chew their voyowels, North easterners , Aberdeen and shoite. ..talk like Dalaks
Then there is me, i talk Scots and dinnae let nae buck tell you other wise

True story
Brits couldn't understand what i was saying half the time
Always having to repeat myself. ..tiresome!

Scots wha hae wi’ Wallace bled
Scots whom Bruce has often led
welcome to yar gori bed
or tae victory

Naus the time and naus the hour
see the front o’battle lour
see approach proud Edward’s power
chains and slavery

Wha can fill a coward’s grave
wha will be a trator knave
wha as base as be a slave
let them turn and flee

Wha for Scotland’s king and law
freedom’s sword will strongly draw
freeman stand
or freeman fa’
let him follow me!

(with apologies to Robert Burns)

Last edited:

leo

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Be careful of what you read Leo. I honestly have never heard of any engagé volontaire being asked to strip down to his under wear by the "Gestapo". Asked if he was homo, yes, in his jocks? No. What for?

I found that website where the guy mentions this. It's on the Lonely Planet forum. Lonely Planet is a company that makes travel guides, just like Michelin or Fodor's. His thread starts on page 1 and he responded again on page 2.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thornt...o-the-french-foreign-legion-in-aubagne?page=2

"This interview is rather long and sort of bizarre, especially if you're not from a European-schengin treaty country. My interview began with the interviewer/interrogator telling me to strip down to my "slip"( banana hammock underwear that they issue you), after I did the guy asked me if I was a homosexual."

I'm not saying that this is usual procedure for the Gestapo, but it did happen to this guy chestypuller1775.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I found that website where the guy mentions this. It's on the Lonely Planet forum. Lonely Planet is a company that makes travel guides, just like Michelin or Fodor's. His thread starts on page 1 and he responded again on page 2.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thornt...o-the-french-foreign-legion-in-aubagne?page=2

"This interview is rather long and sort of bizarre, especially if you're not from a European-schengin treaty country. My interview began with the interviewer/interrogator telling me to strip down to my "slip"( banana hammock underwear that they issue you), after I did the guy asked me if I was a homosexual."

I'm not saying that this is usual procedure for the Gestapo, but it did happen to this guy chestypuller1775.
The only time you will be asked to strip is when you do The medical exam! Pass that and other tests you will then go on to rouge. One other strip. Issue of kit etc. the so called gestepo have nothing to do with that! They deal with interviews and nothing else!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The only time you will be asked to strip is when you do The medical exam! Pass that and other tests you will then go on to rouge. One other strip. Issue of kit etc. the so called gestepo have nothing to do with that! They deal with interviews and nothing else!
I may have been desperate to join at the time, but I don’t think any interview in underpants would have persuaded me to stay, apart from the medical, one thing for sure as hell on this form something gets wrote that just keeps me coming back if it’s not something interesting and factual relating to the FFL it is crazy stuff like this, for what and why would you even consider thinking this was the remote bit true? (To the original poster of underpants)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If your Y fronts are made by Marks and Spencers. ..Gestapo will be a pish easy

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I may have been desperate to join at the time, but I don’t think any interview in underpants would have persuaded me to stay, apart from the medical, one thing for sure as hell on this form something gets wrote that just keeps me coming back if it’s not something interesting and factual relating to the FFL it is crazy stuff like this, for what and why would you even consider thinking this was the remote bit true? (To the original poster of underpants)
Agree. I was hoping by now we would have some good input from younger greens. Sadly it seems people come on here just to glean as much information as possible then we never hear from them again! And all we get are stupid posts and dumb comments! The mods do their best to keep things going but I’m beginning to think ossie is right maybe it’s better to stay away! Hope I’m wrong and the forum will change for the better. take care bro.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Its true what you say, the forum desperately needs "young blood," but having you Anciens makes it worth it. You gents make the forum and without you gents, newbies would not have the excellent resource that we have here.
I know this is coming from a blabbering wipper snapper that hasn't gone to Aubagne or done his time. But I can honestly say that I've met some stellar chaps on Cervens and it is an incredible insight into a world that very few people know and even fewer understand.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Not the first time I heard about this question. Its happen.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Hi Leo, it's been asked in the past (actually by me) not to recount other people's experiences. If you didn't experience it then don't repeat it. Simple. Otherwise we will spend all day recounting the amazing Ryan's experiences and the the Viking's.

These are people who want a Like on you tube and in order to get one you have to be imaginative.

So I will ask all, do send us your experiences. Do not send other people's.

ksm-back-wax-interrogation.jpg

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Its true what you say, the forum desperately needs "young blood," but having you Anciens makes it worth it. You gents make the forum and without you gents, newbies would not have the excellent resource that we have here.
I know this is coming from a blabbering wipper snapper that hasn't gone to Aubagne or done his time. But I can honestly say that I've met some stellar chaps on Cervens and it is an incredible insight into a world that very few people know and even fewer understand.
A blabbering whipper snapper you are not! Wish we had more sensible lads like you on the forum! I’ll be around once in awhile. Besides someone has to keep an eye 👁 on Dusa! And I’m a little worried about Joseph’s nerdiness!🤓😆not to mention that other old fart 💨 Chas! Be well all.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mark,

I concur that the forum needs more sensible input. Also there is a paucity of more recent Greens. I suppose old farts tend to look at the past, but I genuinely believe the forum of yore and a few years back was better. There were several Greens of various vintage with other people from different militaries ALL Legion enthusiasts. Sadly they no longer contribute.

I have a high regard for SnafuSmite and he is the sort of man I would always assist.(y)

I also have an affinity with our forum mascot Dusaboss. He has a good heart and is good natured.;)

I shall try to soldier on and contribute my usual nonsense when I feel like it. So God help readers !:unsure: