Candidate / EV / legionnaire

Rapace

Ratings
376 3 1
Home Country
France
This thread should have probably been published earlier, but I've just realised it might make sense to clarify those terms, to avoid misuse...
• A (Legion) candidate is what it is, i.e someone who is presenting himself to apply for the Legion. In French candidat à l'engagement.
• An EV (acronym standing for Engagé volontaire in French) is someone who was accepted in the Legion, after the selection tests. He receives his first contract in Aubagne, before being sent to Castelnaudary for basic training. In the ‘regular’ Army, the term EV is also used, but as a generic term for all enlisted personnels who are still under (temporary) contract.
• A legionnaire (légionnaire, with an acute accent on the first e in French) is an EV who as received his képi blanc, after about one month into basic training.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
937 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
This thread should have probably been published earlier, but I've just realised it might make sense to clarify those terms, to avoid misuse...
• A (Legion) candidate is what it is, i.e someone who is presenting himself to apply for the Legion. In French candidat à l'engagement.
• An EV (acronym standing for Engagé volontaire in French) is someone who was accepted in the Legion, after the selection tests. He receives his first contract in Aubagne, before being sent to Castelnaudary for basic training. In the ‘regular’ Army, the term EV is also used, but as a generic term for all enlisted personnels who are still under (temporary) contract.
• A legionnaire (légionnaire, with an acute accent on the first e in French) is an EV who as received his képi blanc, after about one month into basic training.
Let's not forget engagé gamelle, commando baskets, bananier, chiffonier (et j'en passe). Just joking :ROFLMAO:.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
937 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Good. Why don't you keep up with ranks in the Legion and French army, or we gonna just steal it. ;)

https://foreignlegion.info/ranks/

Maybe to add something?
Just a quick word on the ranks, quite often on the TED (Tableau d'Effectif et de Dotation) , you will appear as GV (Grenadier voltigeur ) Which without going into a long drawn out explanation, means that regardless of your rank, you are considered a simple legionnaire or dog's body. For example on a guard list, even though you are a corporal, you may find yourself a GV or simple sentinel.

Rapace

Ratings
376 3 1
Home Country
France
Grenadier-voltigeur (GV in short) is not a rank per se, but rather a specialty (in the US Army they would say an MOS). Grenadier-voltigeur is a generic term for soldiers who actually have no other specialty. Sometimes used in a derogatory term meaning kind of ‘cannon fodder’...

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Ratings
110 2
Home Country
Canada
In my time in the 1er REC, equipe voltigeurs were basically tank infantry teams.

Ratings
963 10 11
Home Country
North Korea
The REC had in their escadrons a peloton commando. I heard that they have been suppressed, but not confirmed. Any buddy knows for sure ?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Ratings
110 2
Home Country
Canada
The REC had in their escadrons a peloton commando. I heard that they have been suppressed, but not confirmed. Any buddy knows for sure ?
I have never heard anything about a commando platoon, but there was always a team assigned for the protection of the CO's command post in the field. I happen to have been twice on that team.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
314 4
Home Country
South Africa
The REC has 2 Escadrons that are a bit more reconnaissance orientated.
The first being the Escadron d'éclairage et d'investigation de brigade (EEI) and then the 5th Escadron as well, according to my friend in the REC the EEI also has Tireurs in their structure. They exclusively use the VBL and not the AMX10 RC or VAB like the rest of the REC. Probably equivalent to a Cavalry Scout in the US army.

USMCRET

Ratings
188 2 5
Home Country
United States
Grenadier-voltigeur (GV in short) is not a rank per se, but rather a specialty (in the US Army they would say an MOS). Grenadier-voltigeur is a generic term for soldiers who actually have no other specialty. Sometimes used in a derogatory term meaning kind of ‘cannon fodder’...
Rapace, MOS stands for Military Occupational Specialty, 1371 Combat Engineer, 1361 Engineer Assistant, 0311 Infantry. Obviously, those are Marine Corps MOSs, the US Army calls them things like 51T....

Most viewed threads of the week