a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering Bringing A Notebook To Document Enlistment to Help Contribute to Forum

CuriousCoop

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey, all! I was considering bringing a Rite-in-the-Rain notebook in order to document the experience and post it on the forum. Since I've gained a tremendous amount of information from the forum, and only feel it is right to give back.

Do you reckon they'll let me keep the notebook, or will that be a no-go?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
No mate. Keep it in memory and then give us little bit of information. Not all !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
CuriousCoop,

A very bad idea in my opinion. A recruit where my son works at an Army Training Centre (Pirbright) was binned when found out. Even the most trivial comments on training were greatly frowned upon. I believe it would be much more harsh for you in the Legion. I expect any note book would be confiscated on entry.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
No mate. Keep it in memory and then give us little bit of information. Not all !

Dusa we all look forward to your comments when you are able to give us any information.

CuriousCoop

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey, thanks everyone for chiming in! The goal when I go is not to be "the one," you know, that one they use as an example for infractions. Somebody has to be "the one." Primary goal: make it, and not be the one when and wherever is possible. :D

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have kept a journal since I was 16. Including the Legion. If you're not an asshole who cares? I put my stuff in a safety deposit box in Paris where it sat for the first 8 months of my career. I saw the Bastille Day parade, les Invalides, the Eiffel tower, all that crap before I joined.
I would recommend you do the same. You won't be able to write at the farm anyway.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Bonjour mon ami,

I've watched a number of documentaries on the Legion, and when they show French classes the EV's have bilingual dictionaries and notebooks in front of them. So, if you are studying French on your own, you might (and I stress might) be able to keep your notebook. Or, they may tell you to get rid of it and start over. It seems to me, as an outsider looking in, that any notebook you keep would have to be for Legion related notes: how to field strip your weapon, conjugate French verbs, memorize Le Boudin, and the Code d’honneur du légionnaire.

On the other hand, if your notebook is something like a journal or diary ("Sgt. Shultz is a big fat oaf and reminds me of a jelly doughnut") I wouldn't want it to be seen.

Bon courage mon ami,
Tom

CuriousCoop

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have kept a journal since I was 16. Including the legion. If you're not an asshole who cares. I put my stuff in a safety deposit box in Paris where it sat for the first 8 months of my career. I saw the bastille parade, les invalides, tower, all that crap before I joined.

I would recommend you do the same. You won't be able to write at the farm anyway.

Then it is settled. I was planning to make a journal for my son, but I know I cannot record it at the farm, but he can read it later. I think history is important to record, no matter how small. May I please ask you how you were able to get it, if your identity is taken at the gate when you go, then how can you get that journal, ancien combattant? No disrespect, I can think of ways to keep one, but if you have keep a journal since 16, then certainly, I could learn off of what you have really done.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
CuriousCoop, it's a great idea to share with the forum your experience but keeping a journal isn't a good idea. If there is a spot inspection and they find it you would be in big trouble. Especialy if what you have written is misinterpreted, both in the language and the meaning.

Once in Castel you will be given a notebook but it is mainly for noting down weights of various wepaons etc. However when you get to your regiment, nothing stops you putting it all onto paper nan sending it home as a letter for future reference.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Interesting information would be to mention anything you've seen during selection that is different from or not present in the information already available on the board.
We know that rules are changing from time to time and it can be good to have the most recent information on the selection process.

mm66

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Then it is settled. I was planning to make a journal for my son, but I know I cannot record it at the farm, but he can read it later. I think history is important to record, no matter how small. May I please ask you how you were able to get it, if your identity is taken at the gate when you go, then how can you get that journal, ancien combattant? No disrespect, I can think of ways to keep one, but if you have keep a journal since 16, then certainly, I could learn off of what you have really done.

I'll warn you, you have to have a permanent address in France to open a deposit box (at least in my experience.) Fortunately a friend from school is from Paris so voila.

I kept a box my entire time in France. I kept my extra passport and my valuables, including my journal there. I wrote at the Cafe, not on base.

mm66

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Plus, as I think on it more, if someone saw me reading (or writing, which I did NOT do) around the barracks, but not in the foyer (and I couldn't read in the foyer too loud), for the first couple years they'd make me do shit. Corvee .....

This needs moved....

This needs cleaned....

These need unpacked.....

You want to be as invisible as possible.

CuriousCoop

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Message received: do not write or you will be instantly busy. Should be easy enough to follow. Stay gray. :)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dusa we all look forward to your comments when you are able to give us any information.

Chas, I was thinking the same as you, Dusaboss, let us know how it goes...Chas, your 50 Euros are safe

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
When do you go? Or have I missed the bus, or?? Have you?

Soon ;) I'll be here for one week that is sure. , If there is no word from me on forum, you all know where I am. What worries me it's that I would be back with bad news before you notice I'm missing. :(

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Soon ;) I'll be here for one week that is sure. , If there is no word from me on forum, you all know where I am. What worries me it's that I would be back with bad news before you notice I'm missing. :(

Dusa don't stress we'll know if you're missing.:D