a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid-19 and joining -Important update

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
My answer to a PM:
Sorry about the delay, our internet has been down since 09:00 this morning.
The French ask that you have proof of being tested less than 72 hrs before entering France. Otherwise, since last week, it is obligatory for the members of 16 countries to have it done at the arrival airport.

Thus, proof of a negative test of less than 72 hours will be mandatory for passengers from four countries:

United States

United Arab Emirates

Bahrain

Panama

Travelers from the following countries will be tested upon arrival in France:

Algeria

Turkey

• South Africa

Brazil

Chile

Israel

India

• Serbia WTF, Francomafia

Qatar

Montenegro

Peru

Kuwait
Joe you forgot to say that this applies to French citizens coming from those countries. Non Francos are not allowed to travel in Fr from I think all of this countries.

Actually now I'm reading in separate article that they (Fr) allowed travel for some countries on from that list. (Serbia among them :))

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dusa, PLZ ! Re-read the post. Of course there are other countries allowed to enter France.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusa, PLZ ! Re-read the post. Of course there are other countries allowed to enter France.
I did Joe. And someone (you or me) missing something. If I'm getting that right travelers from Russia, Brazil and Turkey, United States, Are currently not allowed to enter France (unless they are french citizens).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusa, Please back up what you with some kind of proof
Proof is in like you shared.

"France is not permitting general travel to and from the 16 countries, which include the United States and Brazil. The testing requirement therefore only applies to people entering under limited circumstances: French citizens who live in these countries or citizens of these countries with an established residence in France.."

So article contradicts headline.

I thought my country is allowed again , but now I see that was old news with link in your post which is fresh news so I got confused.

Would find some link, but i'm pretty sure that some countries (my include) from list you give where covid situation is severe are not allowed to travel to France with or without test (exsept with special promition)

hotsauced

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Proof is in like you shared.

"France is not permitting general travel to and from the 16 countries, which include the United States and Brazil. The testing requirement therefore only applies to people entering under limited circumstances: French citizens who live in these countries or citizens of these countries with an established residence in France.."

So article contradicts headline.

I thought my country is allowed again , but now I see that was old news with link in your post which is fresh news so I got confused.

Would find some link, but i'm pretty sure that some countries (my include) from list you give where covid situation is severe are not allowed to travel to France with or without test (exsept with special promition)

Joe Cosgrove is correct.

Decree No. 2020-860 of 10 July 2020 amended
(in French) requires passengers to present to their airline, before boarding, a self-declaration stating that they do not have symptoms of COVID-19 and that, to their knowledge, they have not been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the two weeks prior to the flight. They must wear a protection mask.

Furthermore, this decree brought in, from 1 August 2020, for air passengers arriving from certain countries, provisions regarding “presentation of results of a negative virology COVID-19 test (a PCR test for example), carried out less than 72 hours before the flight” In view of this text:

• Individuals aged 11 or over travelling to Metropolitan France from Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, the United States, or Panama, must present such results upon boarding the flight.
• Individuals aged 11 or over travelling from Algeria, Brazil, India, Israel, Kuwait, Madagascar, Oman, Peru, Qatar, Serbia, South Africa or Turkey, who do not present such a document upon arrival in France will be directed towards a medical check point where the test will be carried out. Given these provisions, individuals aged 11 or over travelling from one of these 12 countries are strongly recommended to carry out this virology test locally, if they can, at most 72 hours before the flight.

• The following travellers may be asked to quarantine or remain in isolation upon arrival (Decree No. 2020-884 of 17 July 2020 amending Decree No. 2020-860 of 10 July 2020) are:
  • Travellers with symptoms of COVID-19 upon arrival into France;
  • Travellers who, upon arrival, cannot show the results of a virology test carried out less than 72 hours before flying which proves that the traveller does not have COVID-19.
  • Travellers arriving from Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, La Réunion, Mayotte, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Wallis and Futuna Islands, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, the French Southern and Antarctic Territories and Clipperton.
    Travellers are asked to show civic responsibility and to follow the health precautions recommended by the authorities.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Kids under 11 years of age in France are exempt from wearing face masks... any where and at anytime

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Joe Cosgrove is correct.

Decree No. 2020-860 of 10 July 2020 amended
(in French) requires passengers to present to their airline, before boarding, a self-declaration stating that they do not have symptoms of COVID-19 and that, to their knowledge, they have not been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the two weeks prior to the flight. They must wear a protection mask.

Furthermore, this decree brought in, from 1 August 2020, for air passengers arriving from certain countries, provisions regarding “presentation of results of a negative virology COVID-19 test (a PCR test for example), carried out less than 72 hours before the flight” In view of this text:

• Individuals aged 11 or over travelling to Metropolitan France from Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, the United States, or Panama, must present such results upon boarding the flight.
• Individuals aged 11 or over travelling from Algeria, Brazil, India, Israel, Kuwait, Madagascar, Oman, Peru, Qatar, Serbia, South Africa or Turkey, who do not present such a document upon arrival in France will be directed towards a medical check point where the test will be carried out. Given these provisions, individuals aged 11 or over travelling from one of these 12 countries are strongly recommended to carry out this virology test locally, if they can, at most 72 hours before the flight.

• The following travellers may be asked to quarantine or remain in isolation upon arrival (Decree No. 2020-884 of 17 July 2020 amending Decree No. 2020-860 of 10 July 2020) are:
  • Travellers with symptoms of COVID-19 upon arrival into France;
  • Travellers who, upon arrival, cannot show the results of a virology test carried out less than 72 hours before flying which proves that the traveller does not have COVID-19.
  • Travellers arriving from Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, La Réunion, Mayotte, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Wallis and Futuna Islands, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, the French Southern and Antarctic Territories and Clipperton.
    Travellers are asked to show civic responsibility and to follow the health precautions recommended by the authorities.

So yeah. Joe is right. This is new thing from start of August. Article from France 24 was really unclear and indeterminate so it mislead me.
I wasn't sure so I sad "I think" and "I need to check".
Turned out Joe was right and I was wrong, but I always (unlike many) admit my mistake.
Sorry Joe, please! Could you ever forgive me I doubted in your authority? 😭

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That's alright Dusa. I'd actually seen it on the French news, France 2 20h, but as (like LPCs [now classic] fish joke) it may be lost on some people if posted in the original.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
According to last night's French news, you are expected to quarantine yourself when you arrive at the airport if you do not have a certificate saying that you have been test less than 72 hrs. (from any of the sixteen countries)
The journalist questioned two couples who were expected to go into quarantine:
1st couple : where here in the airport?
2nd couple : we will definitely.
When asked where they were going now? The second couple said that they were going to get the TGV to Paris to rejoin their hotel in order to go into quarantine.

I mean WTF.

In some parts of France it is now obligatory to wear face masks in the streets. Yet every time I switch on the news, it shows huge street parties of people dancing (and enjoying themselves after a couple of months of lookdown - afterall it is summer) with no face masks on.

Perhaps if they had started by making facemasks obligatory from the very beginning and had stocked up on enough of then we wouldn't be at this point.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I believe soon, we here in France, french or not, will be obliged to wear face masks when out in the open, streets if you prefer...
The contamination levels are on the rise in some areas
Mostly due to unconscious tossers on vacation or having street rave apéro s
By the time this chit ends, if it ever does...we will be into the autumn winter period and the regular seaonal flu period
Some experts saying that Covid is going to be seaonal too
Make no plans or a B plan at the moment, is my philosophy
Training and learning french in the meantime is a must

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Coronavirus: Thousands return to UK to beat France quarantine

France has warned that it will be going on a tit for tat reprisal. In other words those who are hoping to join the legion from the UK, can expect to be made to go into quarantine for two weeks.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So the plan is to fly in, mid September. I'll get a covid test the day before I depart, and hopefully the results do come in. I have a connecting flight in Lisbon, but my research shows that I should be fine as long as I do not leave the airport.

Upon arrival in Marseille, if I have the results by then, I will produce them so the authorities don't give me any delays. If not, the French Government will test me for the virus upon arrival (US Citizen). If negative, I'm free to waltz on Eastward to Aubagne?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So the plan is to fly in, mid September. I'll get a covid test the day before I depart, and hopefully the results do come in. I have a connecting flight in Lisbon, but my research shows that I should be fine as long as I do not leave the airport.

Upon arrival in Marseille, if I have the results by then, I will produce them so the authorities don't give me any delays. If not, the French Government will test me for the virus upon arrival (US Citizen). If negative, I'm free to waltz on Eastward to Aubagne?

Now could not possibly be a better time to join. Everyone is afraid or over cautious so there will likely be less competition, and a greater need to get able bodies in the Legion.

As some someone once said, "Never let a good crisis go to waste "

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Remember to bring some warm underwear as you will still be in Castel in January/February. It can be awfully cold at that time of year.

Noted chief. I'll bring my cold weather tops and bottoms that I have from the army. "Waffles" and "silks". Even if it's colder than an ex-girlfriend's heart, they'll keep a man just warm enough

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
That's alright Dusa. I'd actually seen it on the French news, France 2 20h, but as (like LPCs [now classic] fish joke) it may be lost on some people if posted in the original.
I was right after all Joe. :) Traveling into France from that group of countries is allowed only for French citizens or people who have regulated residence in France. So 2 weeks quarantine or negative test is for them.
Others or not allowed to get in without special permission. People from my country can't travel to Fr 100%.