Covid-19 and joining

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
That wan't exactly what I meant, no. But why not. Either way you need some kind of traveling document to go outside a diameter or 100 Kms in France - for French people. If anyone has the time to write to the legion and ask them if the RV will serve as a travel paper, it would be appreciated by all. I'm just too busy at the moment.
If anyone is willing to do this please let us know, otherwise I'll make some time in a day or two.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
French military selection centers are reopening their gates tomorrow (11 May), including the Legion ones. However, French borders remain closed, so I don't really understand how will foreign candidates be able to travel to France. Probably wise, unless for those already present on the territory, to let the “dust” settle a bit and have a better view. Easing of lockdown measures will take place over a 3 weeks time frame, ending (normally) on 2 June.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
This was posted on the official Legion Twitter account...chasing 1,750 candidates in 2020 within the corona virus safety guidelines. Good luck to all.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Yes, it says that the recruiting centers at Fontenay-sous-Bois (i.e. the Fort de Nogent) and Aubagne will resume the selection process. They say also say they plan to recruit 1,750 volunteers this year. However, again, not sure how it'll work in practice. Borders with the EU countries will remain closed till at least 15 June and with the rest of the world, no date has been set yet. If some members have connections in Aubagne, and could provide some insight, that would be useful.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
At least things are not as bad as the Spanish Flu which killed more people than the first World War:

"The influenza pandemic of 1918 and 1919 was the most deadly flu outbreak in history, killing up to 50 million people worldwide. In the United States, where it ultimately killed around 675,000 people, local governments rolled out initiatives to try to stop its spread. These varied by region, and included closing schools and places of public amusement, enforcing “no-spitting” ordinances, encouraging people to use handkerchiefs or disposable tissues and requiring people to wear masks in public."

But why was it called the Spanish Flu?

For those who cannot be bothered to read the entire article, you'll find the answer in the first video.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Most likely this would not be deadly as Spanish flu, but have in mind that this isn't over. We would probably have another spike of infected- dead in winter.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
WTF?

Yeah, I think that one's gonna wind up biting us later, depending on how many people end up getting the virus. But, if Uncle Sam ends up hurting for people because the entrance standards are to strict; they'll do what every volunteer military ever has done in that situation. I.e. lower the standards and/or increase incentives for qualified people to enlist.

Which ain't to say that the idea of putting a temporary ban on covid-19 survivors entering the military doesn't have a certain logic to it; at least until we understand it better. There's nothing quite like having massive groups of people living very close together for spreading a disease, after all. Many of us came down with minor illnesses when I went through Basic, for example; and the same seems to be true in Aubagne and Castel.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
From what I can gather, it's supposed to be like chicken pox or mumps, once you've had them as a child you are then immune to catching them again.
However as Crawdad points out, no-one knows for sure with Covid. We;ll just have to wait for the legion to put out an official statement.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Two things, first should this guy not be setting an example by wearing a mask?

And the other thing is I contacted the recruiting at the Legion to ask whether the convocation that they will send you with your date etc., allow you to get through immigration and travel for more than 100 km. And also, if you have been tested for Covid and have been cured will that stop you from getting in? I don't really expect an answer as I know from past experience that they won't even bother to answer.

Don't get me wrong, the Legion are great when it comes to combat and tasks like Vigipirate or Sentinelle, but let's be honest those that work in the offices are NOT the most efficient legionnaires on the place d'armes (parade square). Even more so working in a recruiting office. I may be surprised :unsure: :unsure:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I'm pretty sure this is short living decision by Pentagon. Smart enough? I want to see answer why that couldn't leave for long?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) And the other thing is I contacted the recruiting at the Legion to ask whether the convocation that they will send you with your date etc., allow you to get through immigration and travel for more than 100 km.
I have just checked out the Legion Info site and found this :

UPDATE OF 11 MAY 2020: Candidates living outside France should send the form once they are present in mainland France.

So be prepared to stay around for a couple of days. Once the travel restrictions are slackened off, there will be a lot of people who will be sending in their applications. It MAY take a day or two for them to get back to you. I don't know how it works.

Before leaving I recommend that you find yourself a reasonably cheap hotel, I know of one in Aubagne. I won't post it publicly as the '666' (the mark of the beast LOL) was hounding people, especially Americans, to give them HIS version of the Legion, even though he's still in (the guy is a f*cking joke).
Anyway, a word of advice, be prepared for a couple of days stay, including food. You should count around 50 -80 euros a night for a hotel and around 12 Euros for a reasonable evening meal. Breakfast should be included and lunch can be a snack, sandwich or food bought from the local supermarket.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
And the other thing is I contacted the recruiting at the legion to ask whether the convocation that they will send you with your date etc, allow you to get through immigration and travel for more than 100Kms.
And also, if you have been tested for Covid and have been cured will that stop you from getting in.
I don't really expect an answer as I know from past experience that they won't even bother to answer.

Don't get me wrong, the legion are great when it comes to combat and tasks like vigipirate/ sentinelle, but let's be honest those that work in the offices are NOT the most efficient legionnaires on the place d'armes (parade square). Even more so working in a recruiting office. I may be surprised :unsure: :unsure:
I got a reply !!
"Veuillez contacter l'un des PILE.

Ils sauront mieux vous informer

LILLE : PILE de Lille caserne Négrier rue princesse 59 000 Lille 03.28.36.08.72

Strasbourg : PILE de Strasbourg 1 rue d’Ostende 67 000 Strasbourg

Bordeaux, 260 rue pelleport 33 800 Bordeaux 05.56.92.99.64

Nice : PILE de Nice Caserne Filley 2 rue sincaire 06300 Nice 06.02.46.18.54

Perpignan : Pile de Perpignan Caserne joffre rue jen vieilledent 66 020 Perpignan "

The first part is please contact one of the PILE they will be better placed to inform you.
It is quite obvious that the person doesn't give a f*ck. He has just clicked on a standard response which more or less says go and bother someone else. I've just written back telling him so and adding that I hope that it is one of his superiors who receives it.

I mean this is a shinny arse in an office who is paid to inform people. I wonder how long he served in a combat section before being 'lured' to his vocation of working the rest of his career in an office?

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
I have just checked out the Legion Info site and found this :

UPDATE OF 11 MAY 2020: Candidates living outside France should send the form once they are present in mainland France.
That doesn't seem to make any real sense to me. So candidates must be present in mainland France before sending their application form? It may work well for candidates already present in France (either nationals or foreigners with a resident status), but how will candidates coming from a foreign country be able to enter the country, while the borders are still closed :unsure:? Unless entering illegally, with all the potential consequences. I would advise foreign candidates not already present in France to wait a little more and see how the situation evolves. The EU is pushing to get internal borders between EU members to be reopened. Could be a first step that would at least allow European candidates to enter the country. Still a bit early to say.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
That doesn't seem to make any real sense to me. So candidates must be present in mainland France before sending their application form? It may work well for candidates already present in France (either nationals or foreigners with a resident status), but how will candidates coming from a foreign country be able to enter the country, while the borders are still closed :unsure:? Unless entering illegally, with all the potential consequences. I would advise foreign candidates not already present in France to wait a little more and see how the situation evolves. The EU is pushing to get internal borders between EU members to be reopened. Could be a first step that would at least allow European candidates to enter the country. Still a bit early to say.
Which is why I sent an email to the recruiting center to ask for clarification.
I've just been reading on the BBC that, as you've just pointed out, the EU are looking at opening borders to fellow members. to help re-build the tourist industry. However, there has to be something to attract them. For the moment there is no night life and any concerts etc are still banned. I even saw that there are still beaches in France which have remained closed. Hotels and restaurants are still not sure when they will be able to open.
And why only Europe? OK, China I can understand. But what about the US and even Britain for that matter? Although the latter I'm not exactly sure what their status is.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Which Is why I sent an email to the recruiting center to ask for clarification.
Joe I think this is 3th time (as I know of) that you are sending mails to FFL. I know that you pretend that you are just "average Joe" :)... but after that do you say to them that you served 17 F-ing years and that they should change their behavior (if they are doing wrong).
I think you should do that. I don't expect they would all of a sudden change their patterns just because some ancien wrote to them, but at least I think they would ask to them self some questions.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe I think this is 3th time (as I know of) that you are sending mails to FFL. I know that you pretend that you are just "average Joe" :)... but after that do you say to them that you served 17 F-ing years and that they should change their behavior (if they are doing wrong).
I think you should do that. I don't expect they would all of a sudden change their patterns just because some ancien wrote to them, but at least I think they would ask to them self some questions.
To make myself credible I do include my matricule (serial number), but you have to understand that they bureau boys take great pleasure in acting important. I had even mentioned that I was a Mod on a Legion forum -Cervens.
F*ck 'em, they will sum up their careers at the end of their time.
When we went to 5 RE. I was the most senior person on the detachment, there were no sous-officiers and I had the most amount of service. On the last day you have to go all around the offices to get a passe-partout signed and collect any parcels or correspondence. I'd walk into an office and there would be this sh$tty little c*nt sitting behind his desk with a Cpl stripes on. I'd say that i needed to get my passe-partout signed.
Come back at the end of the day, he would answer. In the second office the same thing. I was majorly p$ssed by then. And said abruptly 'could you please come back at the end of the day, CCH?' insisting on the 'vous'.
The little person probably felt safe behind his desk and his glasses, "here we don't say vous to CCHs".
I gave him a mouthful and pointed to my red lanyard and shouted in "the REP you f*cking well do".
The commotion caused an adjudant to come out to see what the matter was. I explained that that little *&^t had better show me some respect otherwise when I come back at the end of the day, he would be going home with two black eyes. Word must have gotten around as there was a sudden change in attitude.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Translation : as expected, recruitment resumed today. Many of you are showing up. Due to the current particular health context, all candidates present in the country must send the file to be called up. You'll be contacted quickly.
Applicants outside France must only send the forms once they are present in France.

Three things worth noting before getting too “excited” (this applies for candidates not already present in France) :
1. Nothing is said on how to enter France while borders are still closed.
2. They say “you'll be contacted quickly”, but don't say anything more precise about the time frame. Is it only a matter of a couple of days, one week, two weeks, more..? FYI, on the FB page, one guy posted a comment saying he sent the application form on 1st May and 11 days later hadn't yet received a reply.
3. Assuming a foreign candidate manages to enter the country, he'll need to get access to the internet to send out the form (no big deal), and have a place to live in for some time, pending the reply from the Legion. This second point would certainly prove a bit more tricky (and costly).

So, again, my advice to foreign candidates, who are not already in France and don't have any sort of connection in the country (e.g. somebody who could put them up): wait & see... Next phase of the progressive easing of lockdown measures is scheduled to start on 2 June. By that date one should have a clearer view on the evolution of the situation. Borders with EU countries might be reopened around mid-June. Give it till the end of June before embarking on a trip to France that could put you in a difficult situation.
Just my opinion, based on plain common sense.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I pray all of you are well and especially our older members. Tomorrow in the States is Memorial Day for those that gave the ultimate for our freedom and the assault on radical Islam, those bastards. Most of all I recall Gunnery Sergeant Darrell Boatman, he lost his life on my last deployment to Iraq. An EOD Tech. with a wife and High school children at the time, he was kept alive and transported to Germany where the brought his wife and Children to say good by to their dad and her husband, he died on 4 November 2005. A Marine I had grown up with through the ranks and years, a Career Marine. I will also think of our Legion Brothers and other NATO members whom have given their all on tomorrow, Memorial Day.

Most viewed threads of the week