a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid-19 and joining -Important update

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'd like to ask a question, and I'm hoping some of you can answer this beyond the typical “La Légion has been around for 500 years and defeated Napoleon, this will not be its end” type of response.

Could this possibly spell the end for the French Foreign Legion as we have come to know it?

Even if in a few weeks this all blows over, and everybody kind of just goes "lol jk, we're back to normal now, 2020 huh?", there will still be severe long term repercussions of this. Now, given that that scenario isn't likely, the longer this continues, the more severe those long term repercussions will be. A major evaluation of many western economic, political, and social systems will likely be the dominant conversation for a while. Especially as the generation X-ers and millennials steadily replaces the old guard that has been running the show for the last four decades.

In a time like this, I can only imagine how most Americans would feel about even a small portion of our Army being comprised primarily of foreigners who can literally just show up, try out, and be admitted in. It very well could have been something supported by the majority of Americans for a time, but after a major global pandemic like this, that's something that would be top priority on the list of programs to cut out of the budget. Even if it was a historically famous unit like the FFL, a line would need to be drawn at some point. It's the 2020s, not the 1920s.

And not that a similar legion would be totally disbanded overnight. Just that, as new legislation passes, no new members would be allowed, and current members would likely be relegated to bottom of the barrel tasks until they all serve out their contracts. That, or they can request to be integrated into the regular Army on a case by case basis, but even at that, would still be relegated to less than desirable jobs. And over a period of time, that legion style program withers away. This is all theoretically speaking.

Is it at all possible for the French Foreign Legion to suffer that kind of fate?

I know this has been asked before, but what is the overall sentiment in regards to the FFL by the French population? Is it supported? Needed? Respected? Or are they just viewed as some low grade auxiliary unit comprised of misfit foreigners?

And as a result of this pandemic, even if they continue to accept foreigners for the foreseeable future, can somebody still expect to serve out their time as an actual soldier, and not just the French Army's busboy in a soldier's uniform? I get that there's a bit of a gamble anyway in joining the FFL in terms of what job you actually end up doing, everybody who joins knows that. But I feel like this whole pandemic situation could relegate them to a much lesser status than they are in now.

Again, I'm not saying this is definitely going to happen to the FFL. I'm just looking at it from how Americans would likely look at something similar, even if it had been well respected in the past, and wondering if the same thing would happen.

Thanks for any replies to this.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Soldiers have always been cheap labour, what ever the epidemies knocking around
Cheap labour will come to an end when Armageddon comes....and that aint for tomorrow
Post Shitum
No one beat Napoléon...
I was betrayed, it's not the same schisse!

Last edited:

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Somebody on reddit has posted that they have suspended Legion recruiting for the time being. I believe the person who posted is an actual Legionnaire.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Somebody on reddit has posted that they have suspended Legion recruiting for the time being. I believe the person who posted is an actual Legionnaire.
You have that info on this thread. And no this virus would not destroy FFL or change face of earth as we know it (in long terms). You can aspect things to get in normal after couple months slowly and fully after year.
Instead of chasing zombies while well armed, I'm staying home and wash my hands frequently.:cautious:

Don't want to sound morbid, I kind of like the atmosphere - everybody taking their foot of the gas and slowing down. People should do that more often.
Finally hygiene gets the attention. And they said Tesla was crazy when he would shake hands only in glows.
I guess in a week, situation will be like in France - "patrols with ticket books".

Tesla was crazy as kite :). Especially in his later years. Incredible genius, but crazy. Of Course you should wash your hands. People should do that before corona. No need for exaggerating. They emphasize hand washing, but in reality that doesn't do that much for you (only if someone constantly putting their hands in mouth and other cavities :) where is that banned member now?). Things why they do that is probably because there is no other effective way (only isolation) to fight virus. This virus is not hepatitis A so is not that easy to transmit with dirty hands and clean hands won't save you from it.

Also usage of masks is exaggerated. Mask would prevent you to spit around and for someone to spit in your mouth, but it's far from stopping virus. I like to use analogy: It's like using fence wire as mosquito net. Good luck with that.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) “La Légion has been around for 500 years and defeated Napoleon, this will not be its end” type of response.
The Legion was created in 1831, so do the maths and you'll see that it definitely hasn't been around for 500 years. And obviously never defeated Napoleon :rolleyes:... How could this have happened by the way, even if the French Foreign Legion had existed before 1815 (final Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo), if one keeps in mind that Napoleon was the Emperor of France... For the rest, as long as a military force is needed in France, I don't see why the Legion would disappear, or if that happens one day (one never knows), how it could be anyhow related to the CoViD-19 pandemics. Two completely unrelated events.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
First coronavirus-caused death confirmed here. To make things worse, there was a big funeral.
(How to explain to relatives and friends they shouldn't attend because the risk is too high?)
It resulted with with more cases of infection (60 people under observation)

In Lombardy, Italy a patient aged 79 was cured with an experimental medicine REMDESIVIR . He was treated with it since 7th of March. Hope it's not just a hype.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The Legion was created in 1831, so do the maths and you'll see that it definitely hasn't been around for 500 years. And obviously never defeated Napoleon :rolleyes:... How could this have happened by the way, even if the French Foreign Legion had existed before 1815 (final Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo), if one keeps in mind that Napoleon was the Emperor of France... For the rest, as long as a military force is needed in France, I don't see why the Legion would disappear, or if that happens one day (one never knows), how could it be anyhow related to the CoViD-19 pandemics. Two completely unrelated events.
Rapace I figurative... like he wanted to say "the Legion has been around for a long time and being through lot of things", but let kkillert0fu answer that.
Still “defeated Napoleon” don't know from where that one comes. :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) (How to explain to relatives and friends they shouldn't attend because the risk is too high?) (...)
How..? You can't tell them nicely, that's for sure. Especially in our countries, people are so stubborn, it pisses me off constantly. How many close friends and family one can have? 20 -30 at most. That shouldn't be a problem. But how many people were on that funeral?

In my country a few days ago they advised older people not to go out, if not necessary. Nobody gave a f... about that recommendation. So after 2 days they said there would be a fine if someone above 65 (70 in smaller towns) goes out without special need. There were no older people on streets after that. :)

People are irresponsible and governments reacting slowly and after is too late. We see that in whole Europe. They are gradually implementing more and more required measures and by doing it in that fashion allowing virus to spread. At the end everyone would put rigorous quarantine on whole nation, but then it would be late. They should be doing that when shit hit the fan in Italy. (before that nobody really knew about seriousness of situation). Instead when that happened, our expert in front of president advised people to go in Italy for shopping and sai that this is funniest virus which already losing potency. (this was about 3 weeks ago)

(Perun would understand this):

This is not time to worry about personal freedoms and liberty. Those things should be put aside for some time and for greater good. China managed to control outbreak because, we all know what freedom is there. :)
Sweden is behaving like spoiled child. They are the only country not taking any serious measures until this day (schools are still open etc.). Ok if they want so. In one month Sweden would be great experiment showing if measures are effective or not.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Although this is not the correct place to post this, but it does concern viruses:
For those who have WharsApp. "Martinelli" is to be avoid like the plague. This will come into affect as of tomorrow. Also if you receive a 'prompt for an up date for WhatsApp gold, same thing.

OK, back on topic if you should receive updates on the coronavirus from the WHO, in the form of a Pop up. Whatever you do do not open the file file attached;
Don’t get fooled again: Fake coronavirus emails impersonate the WHO to deliver FormBook trojan

The first one is designed to be just nasty, there is no cure - no pun intended.
The second one is is to get money out of you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well my gym is closed until at least the 1st April. One of the two main shopping mall's is closing at the end of the month. I don't know about the second one, as the immigration has an office in there and I have to go to report in for my 90 days in 5 days time, otherwise the main office is miles away.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1345 March 20
Black Death is created, allegedly

According to scholars at the University of Paris, the Black Death is created on March 20, 1345, from what they call “a triple conjunction of Saturn, Jupiter and Mars in the 40th degree of Aquarius, occurring on the 20th of March 1345″. The Black Death, also known as the Plague, swept across Europe, the Middle East and Asia during the 14th century, leaving an estimated 25 million dead in its wake.

Could this be just coincidence :unsure:? I don't think so. There are exactly 525 years difference between the two dates. I'm sure that everyone knows what the significance of that is ! Now add another very significant number to that : 141 and what do you get ???
Dusa are you with me on this oui ou non ?

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Scholars? Did they say anything about flat earth? I get it, if I have a bad horoscope for the day - I don't leave home.
(Hm, I'll ask my sorceress - she lives in my basement. Will she give me that frog to lick again - it did help last time, although the taste isn't much).

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So what kind of measures your country or county taking down?

I'm really surprised how Europe (especially wealthy parts) poorly handling situation. I hope I'm wrong, but all markers showing that Italian scenario would happen to many.

Looks like some doing better than others if we look number of citizens /confirmed cases/deaths. Especially Germany (with really low number of deaths) and in Asia South Korea, Japan who seems to control number of new cases

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Legion was created in 1831, so do the maths and you'll see that it definitely hasn't been around for 500 years. And obviously never defeated Napoleon :rolleyes:... How could this have happened by the way, even if the French Foreign Legion had existed before 1815 (final Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo), if one keeps in mind that Napoleon was the Emperor of France... For the rest, as long as a military force is needed in France, I don't see why the Legion would disappear, or if that happens one day (one never knows), how it could be anyhow related to the CoViD-19 pandemics. Two completely unrelated events.

Rapace I figurative... like he wanted to say "the Legion has been around for a long time and being through lot of things", but let kkillert0fu answer that.
Still “defeated Napoleon” don't know from where that one comes. :)

Shoot, I realize my mistake now. You guys have your history incorrect. The Legion has actually been around for 5,000 years and invented the wheel which then later went to be used to defeat Napoleon.

Come on guys, that was clearly a joke.

My post was pure speculation about how this MIGHT have an impact on an organization such as the FFL. I never said that the Coronavirus and the closing of the FFL will have some directly related cause and effect.

One of the Legionnaires on reddit where I made the same post had a similar reaction. Chill out a little bit guys.

:cool:

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dude, if the Algiers Pustch of '61 didn't kill the Legion, nothing will. We can go back and forth about dates, but something very like the Legion has existed in France since 1418. So, unless the French people become completely pacifist (unlikely, since it is they that invented the bayonet--let that sink in), there will probably be a Legion for as long as there's a France.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The French also invented the guillotine but abolished the death penalty in Sept 81. But although The Killer does not want this answer, here it comes. Ready:
The legion is not going anywhere.

The following is an extract from the battle of Camerone:

"Colonel Milán sent Capt. Ramon Laine to negotiate a surrender, who explained to Danjou, "you will be needlessly slaughtered."Danjou replied that he "had plenty of ammunition and shall continue to fight."

Alright that last bit was a bit corny, however concerning bayonets, here's what I found:

For centuries, bayonets — cited by President Barack Obama debate in a jab* against Mitt Romney — have been essential to warfare, and modern militaries still use modified versions of the weapon, though in rare circumstances. Here are 10 quick facts about the rise and current use of bayonets:

1. The inventor is unknown, but the first bayonets were made in Bayonne, France, in the early 17th century and became popular among European armies.
2. Ideal use at the time of its inception was for close-combat fighting.
3. The first bayonet used was a plug bayonet, which fit on the muzzle and prevented the rifle from firing at the same time.
4. Historically, bayonet charges were meant to instill an aggressive nature in the weapon’s user and a psychological terror in the enemy.
5. Began to wane in popularity during the rise of rapid-fire weapons after World War I.
6. Can still be attached to some U.S. military rifles, and are still used by the Marines and the Army.
7. The last major American bayonet charge occurred during the Korean War in 1951.
8. In 2003, the Marine Corps gave Marines in Afghanistan a new bayonet that was sharper than any of its predecessors and doubled as a “fighting knife” that can pierce body armor.
9. In 2010, Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, the head of the Army’s entry training command, removed bayonet assaults from the Army’s basic training, which prompted him to be “slammed by retirees,” he said.
10. Most recently, a human rights group said Muammar Qadhafi died after a captor stabbed him with a bayonet, which led to massive blood loss.

* Jab, you've just gotta love the yanks.