a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid-19 and joining -Important update

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Mardi, bars and restaurants can open (but some can not or will not because of the new social distance law and standards...4 square meters for a table for 2 and at least 1 meter from the next table. Plexiglass barriers, anti bacterial gel / soap...
The restaurant i use will have to supprime a few tables to conform. If he (Rosso @ La Chouette) does that, he will not make his month (he hasn't got a terrace). Shame, because it's all home made dishes cooked by his wife...and it's cheaper than most

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi all, not sure if this has popped up on the thread but, recruitment has partially opened up again. You do however need to fill in a form and get it to the Legion recruitment office and they will give you permission to come to the recruitment center for selection.
The below links are for the Legion Recruitment website, I tried to attach the PDF form that needs to be filled in, but if it doesn't work, there's also a link to the website.

Legion Recruitment website:

PDF Application Form:
https://bit.ly/2XsCpfi

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Cheers Snafu. Actually the subject has ben covered. However, it's good to hear from you.
BTW, Isn't it some kind of big day down there in ZA. I mean wan't it today that the South Africans gained their indpednce from GB? I may be wrong (again)

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Cheers Snafu. Actually the subject has ben covered. However, it's good to hear from you.
BTW, Isn't it some kind of big day down there in ZA. I mean wan't it today that the South Africans gained their indpednce from GB? I may be wrong (again)
Hi Joe, 31st of May used to be a big day, when ZA became a republic and no longer a Union. However that has been replaced by Freedom day post apartheid, which is the 27th of April, when we had our first non racial elections.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Listening to the radio and the news headlines... 14 July Bastille Day parade is reduced to a 2,500 people (approx) ceremony at the Place de la Concorde (?). Will get back to you on this one.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
As mentioned previously, and it's now confirmed, French borders are re-opened as of today. Wannabes (I mean the serious ones), it's time to start packing up your back pack... :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Vive les vacances ! One week notice if you want to visit Spain by land, 2 week quarantine, if you arrive by plane.

legio31

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
France open today for EU nations including the UK 1st of July for international travellers .I read a 14 day quarantine is voluntery you'll be asked but don't have to .

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Guys going France should have enough money for hotel accommodation for at least 10 days or more, because it will take like two days to get confirmation that your application form has been received and another 3 or 4 days before a recruiter calls you and give you an appointment in two weeks time. That's what happened to my friend who is in France. I don't know if it will be quicker for guys coming from outside France, but guys be prepared financially if you don't have friends or relative to stay with in France.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
France open today for EU nations including the UK 1st of July for international travelers. I read a 14 day quarantine is possible on a voluntary basis. You'll be asked but don't have to.
Yes, correct. At this point only borders for people coming from other EU countries are being reopened. The EU is pushing its member states to reopen their borders to non-EU countries from July 1st, but no decision has yet been officially made.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Guys going France should have enough money for hotel accommodation for at least 10 days or more, because it will take like two days to get confirmation that your application form has been received and another 3 or 4 days before a recruiter calls you and give you an appointment in two weeks time. That's what happened to my friend who is in France. I don't know if it will be quicker for guys coming from outside France, but guys be prepared financially if you don't have friends or relative to stay with in France.
Good advice Zeroni. If you have not got enough for a hotel, why not try a camping site? It's coming up to the summer break and a lot of French people are staying in France, so hotels may be full or more than likely putting up the prices.
It's a pity that the bureaux boys in Aubagne are too busy :unsure: :rolleyes: to answer a simple question on what the procedures are now that they have 'relaxed' the covid quarantine rules.
I mean do you still have to book in advance? Are numbers limited?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here is the Beeb's summary of the
Coronavirus: France announces significant lifting of restrictions
Unfortunately I'm always at least 16 hours behind the the main French news as I watch last night's news the next day at lunch time. Unless of course something happens then it's on France 24 anyway:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52978327

1592264557296.png

Regards-moi cette Tête à claques !

As I was saying to Erika, what on earth is that lady doing in the background. She replied that is for the deaf people.
So why is there a stenographer typing what he is saying underneath?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Here is the Beeb's summary of the
Coronavirus: France announces significant lifting of restrictions
Unfortunately I'm always at least 16 hours behind the the main French news as I watch last night's news the next day at lunch time. Unless of course something happens then it's on France 24 anyway:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52978327

View attachment 6284

Regards-moi cette Tête à claques !

As I was saying to Erika, what on earth is that lady doing in the background. She replied that is for the deaf people.
So why is there a stenographer typing what he is saying underneath?
Haha Interesting notice Joe. I don't like when they do that. Lady in background waving hands its for me sometimes big obstruction and I can't concentrate on what is person saying. Also simple title would solve problem, but... I guess they have to employ some disabled people. If that would make one disabled person earn for it self I can live with that obstruction.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I received this on my fake account. By the way, once the forum has got this mess sorted out, I will erase the account so no need to worry emails etc.

Hello Sir
I am curious about the current situation with recruitment ,I was told by recruitment once my ticket was purchased to send a picture as well as my form, I bought myself a ticket for the 9th of july in 3 weeks and sent on the requested attachments , I was then told that I was to resend my address and phone number once in france.I have booked a hotel for 4 days when I arrive in marseille as I am under the assumption that they will ask me to come in the monday on the 13th.So my question is, do you think that I will have to wait longer than 4 days to be called in, as my funds are very limited, I will work something out if I have to wait longer, I am just looking for any insight so I can be prepared accordingly
I apologise if this email was not meant for this sort of question and I thank you for your time
S.D from Ireland

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi SD. it is a real pity that the forum is not working as it should be otherwise I could have given you the address of a cheap hotel in Aubagne. Not only that, I would have advised you to not book a hotel for four days, I see that you are arriving from Ireland which means that you will get there on the 9th. I would suggest that if it is not too late to call them as soon as possible. It could well be that they will tell you to come on the 10th. Have you thought about a sim card?
I'm sure that the hotel will let you use their phone.
One thing is, if you are not told to come on the 10th or the 13th, you will have to wait until the 15th as the 14th is a public holiday. In normal times this should not be an issue, However until we get some feed back from those that have been rejected or told to come back on a later date,], we are running blind on this.
That being said all the best mate, and take the opportunity to check out the various posts.
Check out the three hyperlinks down below -just click on them and then the arrow pointing upwards and to the right. No I'm not try to take you for an idiot, It's in case anyone does not know how it works.

check out #15
some useful info
More useful tips #19

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello guys , I am from Balkans ex Yugoslavia and I am planning to join Legion at august do you know when France will open borders for non EU countries ?

V