a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criminal record

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As an American, would it help if you had some legal trouble back home that would prevent you from joining the US military, but that does not fall into the auto-rejection categories of murder, sexual and drug crimes?

In my case im trying to find a narrative i can stick to when i attempt to join when they ask why I didn't try to join the American forces. Thats my last my question regarding this topic before i hold to my story and quit asking for advice. Based off of the responses, coming clean on my record may not hurt in conjunction with the facts of my past surrounding the petty shit. I was going to just say I had Other family members (which i do) and people that are close to my step parents in the us armed forces that i dont want to find out about me or my whereabouts when joining cos of the damage they have done and will potentially do to me if i join.

If you think this is a good approach and the legion will buy it, cool i wont mention my petty record. Is it enough to convince them in the interview or is too weak of a reason that i didnt join cos of the family crazyiness and being left on the street when i came forward about the abuses and neglect. Ill tell the legion straight up, my step parents beat us and racially dregraded me & my 3 other non biological and biracial siblings they adopted. 4 of us in total. I was conceived by rape, my sisters birthmom died a prostitute in prison and my other sister and brother have the same mom but no the same dad. None of us are related besides them. They pinned us all against eachother and punished us for speaking out when asked when a fued erupted over their lifestyle and 300 memebers left putting the family into an 8 year financial nose dive. Family member against family memeber as it stands. On top we were made to sign a paper the step parents drafted that we wouldnt talk or we would face their punishments and furthet abuse if said a word.

If i have to tone it down, then fine as long as the point gets across. But im telling it here like it is, i desperately need the legion very much. Life is very difficult to get ahead in America. And im not playing of being a minority. All of my friends are white and i dont even have a black friend at all which is weird. I was in a different culture and the blacks dont even accept me. They call my hybrid cos im light skinned.

Im not able join the US service regardless because of the misdimeanor and traffic tickets. No waiver granted cos i have to many traffic tickets and the combination of the juvi and misdimeanor in the states.

No drugs, no murder or rape. Im not that f**ked of a person.

I have lived out of a bag, kept myself in good shape and even had to eat out of the garbage at times when i was looking for work when i had no one or any family who wanted me. Im deffintly not cut out to be a bum and never have been a bum I am a student but all of the jobs in paramedic field are so hard to get especially Firefighter cos of the family blood lines that control the field and grandfather their members in. They look down and see my petty shit and automatically cast me aside. Very hard for a mixed person with no grandfather before me to put in a good word. ( never done heroine, or cocaine never had an addiction of any kind and thats what people hate me for because im not corrupted). Its very difficult not having any real family as an illigetimate child or person and being adopted has ruined my life, my step parents are abusive and very bad people who live in the most racist part of town and the police do not take the side of a minority especially those who have powerful step parents of influence in the community. They truly treat us like bastards in America. I know most of you guys have had some hard roads and I admonish you for taking taking time to hear me. I really have the drive. I have been taken in temporarily by a friend who has a similar past that is doing better. We both think me going to try for this is really a good thing and a blessing. It is worth the hardships in training because it has been hell for 10 years. You get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
"Hit the road Jack and dont look back,no more, no more. ..
Why you still hanging about ?
Come to Europe, come to France and try to join the foriegn légion
"Dont look back in anger"...it eats you up inside
You pass the physical tests, you pass, ok
You pass the Gestapo security clearence. ..you dont mention sheet, fuque all, fuque them. It aint their biz (it is actually,your misery is their making and it's how they fill their fridges) On a moral level, it is some thing over the top, beyond belief
For a job and it is only that. ..a fkn ungreatful low paid job. Tell them nada. You are there for the challenge, the aventure and the expérience. ...you leave it at that.
Do you understand ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
"Hit the road Jack and dont look back,no more, no more. ..
Why you still hanging about ?
Come to Europe, come to France and try to join the foriegn légion
"Dont look back in anger"...it eats you up inside
You pass the physical tests, you pass, ok
You pass the Gestapo security clearence. ..you dont mention sheet, fuque all, fuque them. It aint their biz (it is actually,your misery is their making and it's how they fill their fridges) On a moral level, it is some thing over the top, beyond belief
For a job and it is only that. ..a fkn ungreatful low paid job. Tell them nada. You are there for the challenge, the aventure and the expérience. ...you leave it at that.
Do you understand ?
Thank you Le petit.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I just wanted to update this thread with some info. I thought i had a shot with the Army, the recruiter just called me. It turns out my juvi charge was dismissed but today he got am email that all waiver for major misconduct were closed. Turns out the charges were dimmised though but he can not put the waiver. The marines and all of ther services still view it as a charge even though it was dimmised because it still shows up on the background check( the record of the arrest, exspungment dosent change it).

I have saved almost enough to come to Paris. By the end of this month I will be on the street again after a friend took me in to get me on my feet.

Im bummed to say the least. The army was going to work with me but it just seems every door to my dreams gets shut.

You know the legion would be my home and my new family. I really need a stable job and life, a fresh start.

There is a very bad racial war going on and a civil war, America is not what you think it is for someone who is a minority. Im waiting tables and doing dishes and I know if never try to come to France ill regret it the rest of my life.

I hope there is a future for someome like me. im here just venting and I needed to get it out. Its all just hitting me now after the phone call. So im going to get a passport.

I dont have anything to come back to. I have no family and my only friend here where I am is on drugs and its not who I am as i dont do drugs. Im 2k miles away from my original home and I havent been thetr in 8 years or seen any of my family. I can go 5 years in the legion and not bat an eye. I have been a bike courier for a while too. Im fit and Im ready to make this trip and transisiton. Im going to do my best to convince the Legion.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Travel light and forget your shit. .. (doesnt mean you will be accepted in the Legion)
7 pull ups minimum, swim 25 meters and beat the Luc Léger. ..you get to France. ..your destiny lies in your hands /arms and the pull ups you do ( and even then)
Post Shitum : do not despair

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Don't forget the Luc-Léger (beep) test. Now that you are out on the streets, avoid the junk food. I know it's cheap and convenient but it would not do you any good. I wish you all the best.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What is junk food? I mean, I know what expression supposed to mean, but people often don't know what is healthy and what isn't.

For example. Fast and cheap food doesn't have to be unhealthy. You can make tons healthy sandwiches. Most important is to avoid white bread. (bread makes biggest percentage in sandwich) So use healthy sorts of bread. whole wheat bread, oat bread, etc.

Also you can put in a lot of different healthy ingredients : tuna and other fishes, all kinds of non processed, low fat meat (Yea, red meat is also good for you. Nutritionists are just full of shit sometimes).

Of course any fresh salad is good (avoid coating with oil). Ketchup, mayonnaise and all kind of sauce are usually full of sugar or fat are both of them which is really bad combo if you trying to lose weight. But if you are young, healthy, physically active men thin layer of mayonnaise won't do you any dmg just be moderate with it.

So yeah, it's easy make healthy sandwich. If you are in big town you can find place which offers healthy sorts of bread with their sandwiches. Just be careful, these days there is big rip off going on for healthy food and some of those food isn't healthy at all.

Hamburger, yes you can make healthy hamburger. Just use pure ground beef (I found that combo with lamb is really tasty) threw it on a grille or non stick pan (really low fat) and you got healthy burger.

Point of this long post is that "junk food" is really not well defined term ... plus I love to cook and talk about food. :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Junk means un wanted un used material (us, ziganos, gitanos, gypos, or tinkers, if you prefer. ...collect junk to sell, a cheap form of recyclage and it permits us to buy the bairns milk)

A derived version : Junkie or drug addict, is a toxicoman. ..jacks up or sniffs shit

Post Shitum : never trust a Junkie (they will steal the bairns milk money for a dose)
Bairn = Baby. .
The little one : wain = wee one

Post Shitum Extra : Why do i always have to explain ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Just doing water and simple things. Vegtables and lean meats if im able to. I try fuel my body right for workouts after working all day at 10pm or before work. Its just balancing sleep but i make it work. I treat my body right. I work two shifts most days and i get a break in between jobs and i pop something quick. Im not gorging myself like a body builder but try to eat more sparingly like a triathlete or ironman. Idk i figured i should fuel for endurance not bulk.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Sardines Mackerel Herrings Tuna and boiled eggs, are cheap protien and fill the insides well

Keep us or just me, if you prefer, on how you are doing /coping

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I've read as many forums as I can, including this thread, and if a legionnaire could respond to this that would be great. I have a quite serious drug trafficking conviction in Australia, however, I am also a U.S. citizen. It is clear to me that my only option is to lie about my record if asked and stick to a story, but do you guys think I am better off turning up with my U.S papers (where I have no record) as oppossed to my Australian ones? Thought process being, if they check anywhere, it'll be the US in which case i'm sweet as. Cheers

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
At interview keep your answers short and to the point. Look your interrogator in the eye, stay calm and keep to your story line without deviation.

Chas with T. Shirt for surviving far worse with all sorts of deprivation.

Replied to one of your comments Chas as you seem to know your sh*t and get to the point.

I've read as many forums as I can, including this thread, and if a legionnaire could respond to this that would be great. I have a quite serious drug trafficking conviction in Australia, however, I am also a U.S. citizen. It is clear to me that my only option is to lie about my record if asked and stick to a story, but do you guys think I am better off turning up with my U.S papers (where I have no record) as oppossed to my Australian ones? Thought process being, if they check anywhere, it'll be the US in which case i'm sweet as. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Greetings mate, if your crime was serious enough and its registered on Interpol's data base you're screwed. Dont mention unless asked, secondly avoid the gritty details, simply say you had a drug conviction. We had another yank on Cervens that was busted for cultivation and manufacturing yet he made it in. Anyways good luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Is
Greetings mate, if your crime was serious enough and its registered on Interpol's data base you're screwed. Dont mention unless asked, secondly avoid the gritty details, simply say you had a drug conviction. We had another yank on Cervens that was busted for cultivation and manufacturing yet he made it in. Anyways good luck.

Is there a way to check if I am in Interpol database? I wasn’t trafficking internationally or anything even close to that and I have no violent record. Thanks mate

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I can only assume (as you haven't presented yourself) that you are currently still living in Australia. One sure way of knowing if you're on the interpol's database is to ask the lawyer who represented you, failing that inquire at your local police station. I'd say that if you have done your time and are not wanted for any other crimes you would not be on their database. Especially as if you were caught and punished without leaving the country, there would be no point in you being even remotely connected with interpol.

Now for the story, you have got to think about the 'gestapo's' next question to your answer. Which ever passport you use, make sure that your story will stick.
Let me explain myself: you turn up with a US passport from Australia, what were you doing in Australia, how long have you lived there, why have you got an Aussi accent?
Why is there no entry stamp in your passport?
What were you doing for a living in the US?
And it will go on and on. And as I've said before, there is no going back on your story. No coming clean so to speak. You may well be questioned by an American.
If you have lived most of your life in OZ, and you have traveled on an Aussi passport, I'd stick with that and make sure that you are clean.