a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Criminal records

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello.
Writing from the United States, I have a question concerning my criminal history and if I would be disqualified from selection in the FFL.

I was convicted for a felony, in 2006. I was also convicted of a DUI in 2009, also a felony. I have 2 felonies on my record and did serve prison time.

My question is. If I have fulfiled my obligations from my crimes, and have the ability to show my commitment to a purpose by attaining a few college degrees, would I be able to try out for selection in the FFL?

Also, I had surgery on my knee for an ACL. My knee is pretty much 100% and is as sturdy as my other knee. I am very active 32 year old. Would this be an issue?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you sir and I apologize for not introducing myself first. I will do that now.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Tom, no need to call anyone Sir on here. As for the prison time and the felony, it should not be a problem. I say this because we have two Americans who are currently serving at the moment. One spent a few years in the county jail and the other in a federal prison.
Let's be honest, there's not many modern armies in the world today who would take an ex-con at the age of 32. It's your chance to start a new life, grab a hold of it. How is the French? Pleeeeze don't tell me that you are going to start learning at the end of the week. o_O It just won't follow from telling us how much you want to join and haven't started learning French yet.
As for the knee you should take any x-rays with you and also a recent one and try your luck. Only the legion Doctor can decide if you are good to go.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Tom, no need to call anyone Sir on here. As for the prison time and the felony, it should not be a problem. I say this because we have two Americans who are currently serving at the moment. One spent a few years in the county jail and the other in a federal prison.
Let's be honest, there's not many modern armies in the world today who would take an ex-con at the age of 32. It's your chance to start a new life, grab a hold of it. How is the French? Pleeeeze don't tell me that you are going to start learning at the end of the week. o_O It just won't follow from telling us how much you want to join and haven't started learning French yet.
As for the knee you should take any x-rays with you and also a recent one and try your luck. Only the legion Doctor can decide if you are good to go.
That is good for me to know that there are people currently serving who have a past similar to mine. With this information, I can start planning when I will make the trip to the recruiter and give it my all. I am thinking that winter is the best time to try out. Is this correct? And my French, I have not started learning yet. Not smart I know. I will begin today. I know it will be over one year before I will be able to try for selection and hopefully that will be enough time to learn a good foundation.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Did you think that they spoke English with a Southern drawl whilst chewing gum? :rolleyes::cry:
That would be ideal for me, wouldnt it? Just kidding. I am going to commit to emerse myself in learning French. I saw in another thread some programs that were recommended in learning but I'll need to find that thread again and write it down.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
careful of how you treat other members.
Learning basic French would show you are serious ,from what I read at 32 you`ll have to stand out from the crowd for positive reasons , Excellent fitness / health (teeth good?) and some basic French would make you stand out from some of ...

edit Whats your reason for wanting to join? , escapism does not seem to be accepted , wanting to be a soldier seems to be one good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Learning basic French would show you are serious ,from what I read at 32 you`ll have to stand out from the crowd for positive reasons , Excellent fitness / health (teeth good?) and some basic French would make you stand out from some of the invalids that come onto this forum.

edit Whats your reason for wanting to join? , escapism does not seem to be accepted , wanting to be a soldier seems to be one good reason.
I will most definitely make sure I have basic French and in great physical fitness shape.

There are many reasons I want to join. The main reason is to serve, to become a soldier for the Legion. To gain Honor in my life. I do live comfortable compared to a lot...I do not want that, I do not find fulfilment in comfort. Isn't it a Legion saying, "pain is weakness leaving the body"? I need to be made stronger by being broken down. The military discipline is what I want. I want to be a part of the history, to build a legacy. I want the story of my life to be a complete story and if the legion is part of my story, it can be complete. I want to commit to service.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tom Juvenez,
Honesty will be your best policy when arriving at the gates. Impress those on the staff that you want a new lease of life. Others in a similar position have been accepted.
Do not go with any preconceived ideas. Just demonstrate genuine determination.
So- Good luck.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tom Juvenez,
Honesty will be your best policy when arriving at the gates. Impress those on the staff that you want a new lease of life. Others in a similar position have been accepted.
Do not go with any preconceived ideas. Just demonstrate genuine determination.
So- Good luck.

Having problems back home can be viewed as good motivation to stay, I would cough and say it how it is.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As long as you didn't rape, murder, or eat another human being you should be good I think. Drug trafficking and being a sex offender are no goes too, from what I have seen in legion documentaries as well as the words from the greens here.

Check out a local community college, usually you can find a french teacher. Also, when you have a good basis, change the settings in your phone to display French instead of english, and if you watch TV or play video games, switch that to French too. The more French you hear the better. Usually things like Hulu or Netflix allow you to switch the subtitles to French, and you may find some of your favorite shows online in a french rendition! It's working for a semi-intelligent kid from Texas, so I am sure you'll do fine man.

Bonne chance!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's working for a semi-intelligent kid from Texas,
Good advice. I'd also recommend, if it's available in your country that you check out 'euronews or France 24' because unless there is something going on , it's more or less the same. As they diffuse in in English and French - watch the English first and then the French.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good advice. I'd also recommend, if it's available in your country that you check out 'euronews or France 24' because unless there is something going on , it's more or less the same. As they diffuse in in English and French - watch the English first and then the French.
Funny that you mention Euronews, I just discovered it myself today

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Try watching the news on the hour in English and then again if French. Keep this up until you can start with the French and check your notes against the English version.
I think that the news is a better way than learning from a movie because there are very little or no slang words and the presenters have to be very articulate with the pronunciation.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Ticking along mucker, might have a decent job coming up in Liberia at long last, how de body mon, etc, lol.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Son did his medical and fitness tests for the army,in Bordeaux last week. .passed all and is now waiting for his marching orders (1 - 3 months)
Really need to quit Nîmes, big time
Waiting for oppertunity to fall