Current Fitness

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Been in the gym lifting at least 4-5 days a week for a few months now. I'm able to do about 15 pull-ups from a dead hang before my form starts to get bad, plus I'm now able to do 5 sets of 5 pull-ups with 45lbs(about 20 kilos) extra weight. My bench press is now at 290lbs(about 130 kilos). I can swim all day, just not very fast. The only thing I'd say I'm not feeling strong in is my running. Snow makes long distance running somewhat hard, and I think treadmills are lame, but I've been cross country skiing on the weekends and doing sprint drills on an indoor track a few days a week to make up for it. I have a goal to reach 315lbs(about 140 kilos) on the bench press, but other than that I don't have any other fitness goals. Please leave me any suggestions on what else I could be doing physically.

Final note, I'm taking a French class right now, but I'm terrible at it. Hopefully I can just get a decent foundation in the language from which to build on. It's still a ways off before I would likely make my way to France, as I'd like to finish my degree, but better to be prepared ahead of time than to prepare too late.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good luck in trying to get into shape. I suspect that you are a big guy. Not knocking you, in any way, but thank goodness when I joined I was a wiry little squirt. Also our PTIs' knocked us into shape. In those days it was pass or fail with no second chance unless injured and in rehab.

The big lads were fine at long distance yomping and carrying a heavy load. On winning their coveted Green Berets , many went to heavy weapons or mortars.

The lean and wiry men had it much easier on speed marches and assault courses.

The Legion needs similar men with I presume a good level of physical fitness.

Chas former member of the ; Lean Green Killing Machine. Now a zimmer frame fighter.:)

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Been in the gym lifting at least 4-5 days a week for a few months now. I'm able to do about 15 pull-ups from a dead hang before my form starts to get bad, plus I'm now able to do 5 sets of 5 pull-ups with 45lbs(about 20 kilos) extra weight. My bench press is now at 290lbs(about 130 kilos). I can swim all day, just not very fast. The only thing I'd say I'm not feeling strong in is my running. Snow makes long distance running somewhat hard, and I think treadmills are lame, but I've been cross country skiing on the weekends and doing sprint drills on an indoor track a few days a week to make up for it. I have a goal to reach 315lbs(about 140 kilos) on the bench press, but other than that I don't have any other fitness goals. Please leave me any suggestions on what else I could be doing physically.

Final note, I'm taking a French class right now, but I'm terrible at it. Hopefully I can just get a decent foundation in the language from which to build on. It's still a ways off before I would likely make my way to France, as I'd like to finish my degree, but better to be prepared ahead of time than to prepare too late.
Hello Fin,
Based on everything you wrote, it seems to me that you need no advice. Keep your focus, maintain your discipline.
Be persistent but don't overthink it, seems you got everything covered.
Cheers!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Fin (?) yeah good one Peron. Just don't forget that French is the spoken language in the Legion.
Also, if I may,do not try to 'peak' too soon. The idea is that the legion can mold you into what they think is needed.

OP
F
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Good luck in trying to get into shape. I suspect that you are a big guy. Not knocking you, in any way, but thank goodness when I joined I was a wiry little squirt. Also our PTIs' knocked us into shape. In those days it was pass or fail with no second chance unless injured and in rehab.

The big lads were fine at long distance yomping and carrying a heavy load. On winning their coveted Green Berets , many went to heavy weapons or mortars.

The lean and wiry men had it much easier on speed marches and assault courses.

The Legion needs similar men with I presume a good level of physical fitness.

Chas former member of the ; Lean Green Killing Machine. Now a zimmer frame fighter.:)
I’m 5’10’’(around 170cm I think) and 180lbs(like 80ish kilos). I could probably be more lean, but whatever, it’s winter time lol.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Even the short arses had to complete a very heavy load carry of 12 miles in a given time. All after unpleasant sleep deprivation. I passed every test without a next day re-run. Thank God.

I was the smallest in my recruit squad at a tad under 5'7" and weighing in at 9 stones 8 lbs. A veritable giant.;) Subsequently I did gain some minor height and weight. My knees sometimes now complain.

I state this not out of hubris but to encourage the smaller brethren that it can be done. Ne pas subir.
It is a state of mind. So all aspirants give it your best shot and good luck.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Fingolfin,
I was 17 and 3 weeks when I joined as a volunteer and not a pressed man. RMV202910. I eventually weighed in at 10 stones 4 lbs. 144 lbs. I put my size down to war rations. Well that was my excuse.:D I also boxed at ITCRM now CTCRM as a lightweight. I got hammered by a lad from the RAF ! Later and heavier as an officer my CO advised me to stop. Reason all the lads liked to see the officer taking a beating. Taken well at least you earned respect.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Yo Fin my main man !

You may want to get used to the metric system as only the US of A, Liberia-which is a small two bit county in Africa- and Burma or Myanmar if you like, use imperial. The rest of the entire world uses the metric systemo_O.
With the exception of certain places like Great Britain, who cannot decide if they will go the full nine yards and do away with some of their silly measurements. I mean they still quote Roger Bannister's under four minutes mile :whistle:. I suppose it is easier than saying that the great man did 1609.34 metres in under 4 mins. But the do still measure horses in hands, in if your horse should come in you may be paid in guineas.

I've added a link to some of the funny measurements: one of my favorites is The Big Mac Index.The Big Mac Index (coined by The Economist) compares the purchasing power parity of countries measured in terms of the cost of a Big Mac hamburger.
That is true because I saw an article comparing the Price of a Big Mac in various cities around the world. As may be expected Bangkok was in the higher section.
They tried to do the same thing with a Starbucks coffee (n).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yeah.. The Yankee boys like to talk lbs.. Yeah i did 1,000 Lbs on the leg press Last night 😆

You probably got more tired by putting and taking off (hopefully) all that all the weights on the machine that by doing workout. :) Never liked leg press. It's surreal how much weight one can push on it. And I dont feel that hits my muscles really good enough. Nothing better for legs that good old squats. Man, when you feel that dizziness after last repetition... you know you doing a job. Hardest exercises, that's why many avoiding it

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom

You probably got more tired by putting and taking off (hopefully) all that all the weights on the machine that by doing workout. :) Never liked leg press. It's surreal how much weight one can push on it. And I dont feel that hits my muscles really good enough. Nothing better for legs that good old squats. Man, when you feel that dizziness after last repetition... you know you doing a job. Hardest exercises, that's why many avoiding it
The most productive form of squat is the "sissy squat" many people can leg press tons of weight but a Sissy squat is all quads. I like Barbell squats because of the full recruitment of Hamstrings & Glutes, lower back. you can hold the bar behind you as in a Barbell Hack squat if you are worried about spinal compression and glute involvement, incedently squatting with a bar in your lap cuts out glutes too.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
the original sissy squat is a movement where your knees travel forward while leaning back. try it ..it´s effective !

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Barbell hacks you may need to raise your heels on these. very effective exercise.

Most viewed threads of the week