QUESTION Daughter of Deceased Legionnaire Seeking Information/Advice!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Hi all,

Very excited and happy to have found this forum.

Myself
I am a daughter of a legionnaire father who (to the best of my second hand knowledge) served in the Algerian War. I am a French citizen by his descent, and have lived in France, but he passed away when I was very young and my Australian mum knows next to nothing about him. To the best of my knowledge, he served under the name of Charles Foch (nee Lopez?). I am very curious to learn more about the other 50% of me. I am in my mid-20s and have almost zero information about my paternal side.

Advice
I was wondering whether anyone has any advice regarding accessing historical information from this time period? I have no documentation about my father, and I was hoping to get some images of him/information about him when he was younger and to better understand the FFL. Having multiple first and surnames on record has obviously complicated accessing the usual avenues.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Best wishes,

Carra

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Carra and welcome to the Forum.

Here is the adresse for the B.A.L.E.
Bureau des Anciens de la Légion Etrangère

How is your French: If you do not feel up to writing in French, then do so in English.

https://www.legion-etrangere.com/mdl/contact/contact.php?dst=8&idA=249&block=30&titre=bureau-des-anciens

Word of advice. Give as many details as possible.
example :
Fathers original name (middle if you know it)
Date and place of birth (original)
The presumed age he joined at.
His Legion name
Where he served
Any other information that you may have concerning him.

If your mail service can do then ask for acknowledgement of receipt.
Let us know if you run into any difficulties.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Hi all,

Very excited and happy to have found this forum.

Myself
I am a daughter of a legionnaire father who (to the best of my second hand knowledge) served in the Algerian War. I am a French citizen by his descent, and have lived in France, but he passed away when I was very young and my Australian mum knows next to nothing about him. To the best of my knowledge, he served under the name of Charles Foch (nee Lopez?). I am very curious to learn more about the other 50% of me. I am in my mid-20s and have almost zero information about my paternal side.

Advice
I was wondering whether anyone has any advice regarding accessing historical information from this time period? I have no documentation about my father, and I was hoping to get some images of him/information about him when he was younger and to better understand the FFL. Having multiple first and surnames on record has obviously complicated accessing the usual avenues.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Best wishes,

Carra
Hi Carra, I served in Algeria as well. I might be of some help if you should happen to know which regiment your father served in, but unfortunately I do not know the name you gave.
You can check my posts for some historical informations and photos, and just ignore any posts from the socalled Petite Caporal because he is full of shaite and has never seen any action outside his kilt.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Carra, I served in Algeria as well. I might be of some help if you should happen to know which regiment your father served in, but unfortunately I do not know the name you gave.
You can check my posts for some historical informations and photos, and just ignore any posts from the socalled Petite Caporal because he is full of shaite and has never seen any action outside his kilt.
jonny i think it´s just the wee Cpl´s humor. nothing more. I do not believe he means any offence. He served in another time so can´t compare it.

Most viewed threads of the week