Death of Former Legionnaire

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
I was trying to find out whether anyone here remembers serving with Colin Carter (May also have served as Andrew McFarlane) in the Legion parachute regiment in Lebanon and / Or Iraq in the late 1980's / early 1990's. In the attached photo from "Someone else's War", he is the one kneeling to the right of the photo. He dies on Thursday 27 June 2019 and I find myself looking to make a connection with his past.

The cremation service will be held at Warriston Crematorium in Edinburgh on Thursday 11 Jul 2019 at 1300. All welcome to attend. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Are you sure of the dates? The MAT49 P.M. (French for pistolet-mitrailleur, or submachine gun in English) doesn't correspond the time frame, unless the picture was taken during a “Stage Commando” (commando course)
No, I didn't know him.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to find out whether anyone here remembers serving with Colin Carter (May also have served as Andrew McFarlane) in the Legion parachute regiment in Lebanon and / Or Iraq in the late 1980's / early 1990's. In the attached photo from "Someone else's War", he is the one kneeling to the right of the photo. He dies on Thursday 27 June 2019 and I find myself looking to make a connection with his past.

The cremation service will be held at Warriston Crematorium in Edinburgh on Thursday 11 Jul 2019 at 1300. All welcome to attend. Thanks for reading.
Hi up buddy Lebanon was early 80s and Chad But names don’t ring a bell but hey I forgot what I had for breakfast and that was only 4 hrs ago

OP
V
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
He served in Iraq during first gulf war and was returned to UK forces after being filmed by CNN. Prior to that he served in Beirut I believe as part of a peacekeeping mission.

OP
V
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Late 80's, I estimate approx 88-89. I don't know his ID number.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Do you have any of his Legion papers or old photos ? How old was he and what did he die of, if you do not mind me asking ?

OP
V
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
If he still had papers then I have never seen them. He had quite a turbulent life after leaving so suspect these things were lost along the way. He was 52 and died of Bronchopneumonia after a period of as-yet-unexplained weight loss.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
My age (more or less), I'm 54 and Scottish too. I knew most of the other Scots in the Legion at my time (even the ones I never met). For Beirut there was an international task force there in the early 80's (80 82)... It's obvisouly not that
Again and recently, 2015 to 18. That was a U.N. peace keeping mission.
2e REI, 6e REG and the 1er REC. Any of these regiments ring a bell? Do you know when he left the Legion ?

OP
V
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
I had thought he was with 2REP. As I say, he left shortly after the end of the Gulf War.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
I had thought he was with 2REP. As I say, he left shortly after the end of the Gulf War.
Could have been. 2e REP was the first unit dispatched to Lebanon in August 1982, to protect the evacuation of the PLO leaders (including Arafat) from Beirut, besieged by the Israelis, after they invaded Lebanon (operation “Peace for Galilee”). It became a component of the so-called Multinational Force in Lebanon (not to be confused with the UNIFIL, based in Southern Lebanon, in place from 1978).

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
If he still had papers then I have never seen them. He had quite a turbulent life after leaving so suspect these things were lost along the way. He was 52 and died of Bronchopneumonia after a period of as-yet-unexplained weight loss.
If he was 52 years old when he passed away, he was born in 1967, so 15 years old in 1982. If he was in the Legion at that age it is some kind of a record.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
2 REP wasn't in the Gulf War, but the cap badge seems to be REP. The green scarf is the 4 th Company. 18 in 85 + 5 years contract = Gulf 90/91. Army combats are from that circa. I know a guy to ask, who was REP and REI and REC at this time frame. Scottish too ! Will get back to you on this, in time.

Most viewed threads of the week