DGSE

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Davey, is that just a general question or are you thinking perhaps that once you have done your big 5 you would like to offer your services to the French (exterior) intelligence services?

I can't pretend to know the slightest thing about the DGSE but I suppose that people who speak fluent Arabic or other languages would be of use to them in translating telephone conversations or emails etc.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
Back in the 1950'es one did. The Dane Arvid Hansen joined the Legion in 1947, 19 years old, served in Indochina and Algeria for the next 9 years and became a highly decorated NCO. In 1956 he joined the security/intelligence service (SDECE I think), which he later left with the rank of captain. He then joined the Ministry of Tourism and was in charge of tourism in Nice. He died in 1998.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Can an ex-legionnaire join French intelligence?
Ahum, wouldn’t ‘French intelligence’ be a bit of an oxymoron? A bit like eg ‘Scottish delights’ or ‘German charm’, for instance.

Back in the 1950'es one did. The Dane Arvid Hansen joined the Legion in 1947, 19 years old, served in Indochina and Algeria for the next 9 years and became a highly decorated NCO. In 1956 he joined the security/intelligence service (SDECE I think), which he later left with the rank of captain. He then joined the Ministry of Tourism and was in charge of tourism in Nice. He died in 1998.
And he wrote a very interesting book about his experiences in Indochina, called ‘Tur retur Helvete’ (To Hell and back), which was one of my own inspirations for joining the Legion as well.)

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
(...) And he wrote a very interesting book about his experiences in Indochina, called ‘Tur retur Helvete’ (To Hell and back), which was one of my own inspirations for joining the Legion as well.)
No, that was Jack Hansen.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
No, that was Jack Hansen.
Thanks for the correction. Hard to keep up with all the Hansen's about (I think I found one in the shed the other day). Great book, though. You wouldn’t happen to know where I could find a copy by any chance? I would love to read it again.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would imagine it would be unlikely you'd be able to rise very high in the intelligence ranks, giving a foreigner access to state secrets and information detrimental to state security, saying that as stupid a thing has happened and happens in British intelligence .

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
He can be the tea boy... Important Job 👍

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Secret services look to recruit foreigners all the time... They all do. Btw, 5 so called French diplomats have been arrested last week in Libya with undeclared weapons and ammo (they arrived from Tunisia). Bet there was one or more Arab speaker among them.
What a silly question, btw

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
Thanks for the correction. Hard to keep up with all the Hansen's about (I think I found one in the shed the other day). Great book, though. You wouldn’t happen to know where I could find a copy by any chance? I would love to read it again.
Try google with the Danish and/or Norwegian title, there might be a shop somewhere who has it.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Can an ex-legionnaire join French intelligence (DGSE)?
They may ask you to take French citizenship. Joining the DGSE is vague. There are many different types of jobs. Do you mean joining the “Service Action”?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Rapace Is right man for this question ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Davey, is that just a general question or are you thinking perhaps that once you have done your big 5 you would like to offer your services to the French (exterior) intelligence services?

I can't pretend to know the slightest thing about the DGSE but I suppose that people who speak fluent Arabic or other languages would be of use to them in translating telephone conversations or emails etc.
While joining the Legion is definitely something I want to do, I will have to see how things play out with my injury. I am virtually not effected physically, but I have been put in medication that may take a while to get off of. I am assuming I would not be selected if I had medication that I had to take daily. I am still preparing by learning French as well as Arabic. Arabic is more difficult, but I already know another language that follows many of the same rules, luckily.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
When you have gotten off the meds and there is no trace left in the system, then if you think that you still might stand a chance of getting in, then go for it. I would recommend (and I'm not trying to be funny here) that you have enough money for a round trip and to spend a couple of days in France, just in case it does not work out.
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but you will stand more of a chance by going directly to Aubagne, as Paris may not even take the risk of sending you down.

Most viewed threads of the week