Does the Legion still tolerate Americans?

Ratings
2 1
Home Country
United States
Bonjour,
I'm an American, 28 years old living in a rural area. I have no prior military experience however I know my way around a rifle, I am a volunteer firefighter, and I have done menial labor a bit more than I'd like to admit. I speak some Spanish, I'm attempting to learn more French. I could already pass the physical requirements for the legion however I need to lose weight and I'm not in peak physical condition. I know I can pass because I can push myself past comfortable endurance, I've forced myself to before. There's nothing more motivating than poking through a structure fire with an axe handle in the pitch black when suddenly you hear the creaking of the building beginning to collapse. There's nothing holding me here either. I have no children, I have no girlfriend, there are few employment opportunities and I don't know where else to go in the world.

One of my major concerns is that I didn't obtain a highschool diploma as I dropped out young to support my mother. Amusingly I have college credits though. As a volunteer firefighter tuition was paid for me to attend fire science classes along with EMT-B classes. No one asked for my highschool diploma haha. I have a feeling if I remain silent on the matter the Gestapo won't question me on it.

I need guidance and advice from experienced men that I hope to call brothers one day. What can I expect, what are my chances, and what should I look out for?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
243 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just forget the writing of books on for form! You have identified your weakness my suggestion is stay of this site, do what you have to and give it a go as you have the same chance in my view as everybody else and enough has been said on here so nothing you can’t find that has been discussed you are just a different fat guy from around the world , have you considered a bacon slicer set at 2”?
God some of these threads are so repetitive apart from name!

Ratings
2 1
Home Country
United States
Just forget the writing of books on for form! You have identified your weakness my suggestion is stay of this site, do what you have to and give it a go as you have the same chance in my view as everybody else and enough has been said on here so nothing you can’t find that has been discussed you are just a different fat guy from around the world , have you considered a bacon slicer set at 2”?
God some of these threads are so repetitive apart from name!
I
At the beginning of this post I was thinking "Yea... I need to do some thing about the lack of my highschool diploma" by the end of it I had to laugh to myself a bit. I'm not so out of shape they wouldn't accept me into the legion as is. More training would simply make my life easier.

Ratings
367 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Drock,
Welcome to the forum. Lack of education is no precursor to being refused entry. My advice is to go for it a.s.a.p. since you are fit and healthy and in your own words can meet the physical requirements. You will be taught Legion French when you undertake training.

In any Armed Force there is a chance of further education and most (but not all) have only studied at the University of Life. With your background you can grow a beard and become a Pioneer.;)

Good luck in all your endeavours.

Chas with T Shirt (99% need not apply).:sick: Coveted Green Beret. Now ancient !

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
243 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
I
At the beginning of this post I was thinking "Yea... I need to do some thing about the lack of my highschool diploma" by the end of it I had to laugh to myself a bit. I'm not so out of shape they wouldn't accept me into the legion as is. More training would simply make my life easier.
I have spent my last 25/30 years working with professionals with degrees and formal education and training! Most of them are practically stupid have not got a clue I have a degree but it was very hard for me due to hidden learning problems protected in the UK under the new equality act. If your fit got a big heart along with motivation you have the same chance that last advise is the only advise I feel any green could give on this form, other greens may disagree but the rest is down to personal experience and to get that you have to get past the first step of getting in!
Good luck.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
937 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Drock welcome to the forum.
When are you thinking about going? Also if you are overweight, it won't be a good start. I could say something like keep away from the big macs and Pepsi, but you'd only tell me that you don't touch them.

What I'm trying to point out to you is the title of the thread is :
Does the legion tolerate Americans still?

You do not want to go there looking the stereotype of what others think of Americans. Good luck, crash diet and then give it a go.

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United States
Bonjour. I'm an American, 28 years old living in a rural area. I have no prior military experience however I know my way around a rifle, I am a volunteer firefighter, and I have done menial labor a bit more than I'd like to admit. I speak some spanish, I'm attempting to learn more french. I could already pass the physical requirements for the legion however I need to lose weight and I'm not in peak physical condition. I know I can pass because I can push myself past comfortable endurance, I've forced myself to before. There's nothing more motivating than poking through a structure fire with an axe handle in the pitch black when suddenly you hear the creaking of the building beginning to collapse. There's nothing holding me here either. I have no children, I have no girlfriend, there are few employment opportunities and I don't know where else to go in the world.

One of my major concerns is that I didn't obtain a highschool diploma as I dropped out young to support my mother. Amusingly I have college credits though. As a volunteer firefighter tuition was paid for me to attend fire science classes along with EMT-B classes. No one asked for my highschool diploma haha. I have a feeling if I remain silent on the matter the Gestapo won't question me on it.

I need guidance and advice from experienced men that I hope to call brothers one day. What can I expect, what are my chances, and what should I look out for?
Read the threads! There is plenty of information available. if you are serious get yourself motivated! Nobody cares if you are an ex firefighter don’t have a high school diploma etc. but they will care if they see an over weight American try to walk through the gates with no clue! Enough said. Good luck.

Most viewed threads of the week