a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog meat.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
We adopted the dog below that was rescued from a South Korean dog meat farm by the International Humane Society. The fellow beside our dog is a UK celebrity whose name is Peter. The dog was named Peter by him. When we brought him to our house he was terrified. At one point he just collapsed on our floor after a heart rending wail that could only have meant that he gave up. He was about a year old, flat feet and could not chew anything solid...he was in a cage the size of his body during his life. He was nurtured into a beautiful looking, strong (120 lbs), confident, inquisitive, intelligent and playful dog. With me, he would lie down beside me or find/make a space beside me if I was lying down on our couch, he would get a toy and push it at me letting me know he wanted to play and when walked he would be curious about everything.
Unfortunately, he tried to attack almost every dog he met and had attacked our Chocolate Lab (5 yrs. 100 lbs) three times out of the blue.
He had a prong collar when he was walked and had a muzzle when necessary. While we were in the Bahamas last month he attacked our Lab again (a fourth and final time) without provocation and this time my wife saw everything. Apparently both dogs bumped and he turned. We had named our dog Harvey (after Harvey Weinstein) before his nuts were nicked. Harvey was euthanized a few hours later and it had taken the vet 4X the regular dose to kill him because of his strength. Harvey was a Great Dane/Mastiff/Tosa mix ...with the Tosa behaviour predominating. Strength, intelligence, agility (like a panther) and quiet/stealthy when he was observing what he considered as prey. It has not yet been a month since he was killed and though deeply saddened and still missing him a lot it had to be done. Our Lab, Brady, is getting back to his old self but he was prematurely aged and now has gray around his mouth which he didn't have a month ago.
If I was 28-34 with the mindset I had at that time, Harvey would have been the perfect companion but he was brought into a family where his nature was at odds with his environment..he was bred as a fighting dog and that independence and self-willed thinking was incompatible with a peaceful and non-aggressive existence. I will upload a picture of Harvey as part of our family later in this thread showing just how gentle he could be and how secure and comfortable he must have felt.
If anyone is considering owning a dog please look at rescues first and try to understand what breed you are getting so that it will be a good fit. My wife and I did not know that we would be getting such a large dog and that it was part Tosa so have the facts first if you can.

Regarding dog meat, have a look at the documentary "Shadow Trade." I did not expect Thailand to be a part of the world where dog meat was available but it definitely is. If Joseph sees this post I hope he can provide some first hand insight on what is happening there regarding these animals. I've seen more than a few interesting stew pots containing monkeys, iguanas, snakes and other things in Guyane but they were taken without cruelty. In the documentary there is a kind of brutality and cruelty that I can only wish could be returned in kind to the perpetrators. My feelings here extend to poachers and other types that lack something that many animals have - that action for a swift and quick kill - instead of torture...because it's supposed to make the meat taste better.

Attachments

• harvey.jpg
    harvey.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 20

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Unfortunately some dogs (like humans) have certain personalities which could not be changed by any upbringing, training and love.
Some "Animal Lovers" to call them that way because I love animals too, but they taking that in some next level where it shouldn't be at all and making things worse both for dogs and mankind. So those guys say that always blame is on owner and every dog is perfect. It's just about love and training you give them.

Anyone who had more than 5 dogs in live is absolutely sure (or lives in denial) that dogs or not same. Every of them have its own personality based on genetics which has nothing to do with upbringing. Also that genetic connections in dogs are much more stronger than in humans... So if you wont certain kind of dog... look in his parents!

Also connection between owner and dog have to "click". As you say jwaltos if you were in your early 30s that dog would be fine with you? C'mon ...Even now deep in inside, you would like to see that dog shaking up little bit some irritating cocky poodle and pekingese. ;)

As I said not all dogs are perfect and some of them function with one, but not with other owner. Some of them are simply incorrigible and unfortunately need to be put away.

I'm not supporter of eating dog meat unless it is an the most urgent need where obese survive depends on it. If that is case, eat your dog. Otherwise stay away from them! They are definitely closest beings on this planet to us. So...

If situation get even worse... In that case pursue with your friends. :)
Maybe people reading this will say that I'm talking nonsense, but science and history showed that humans rarely dying when there is no any source of food around for long period of time (life threatening ) and there is some of the fellow man walking around. ;)

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
During the middle ages. ..certain dogs were for eating (the un worthy)...easy to reproduce and attains a decent weight in a short time
In Bosnia 93/94 ...there had dogs until the Bosniaques ate most of them. ..i have pics of me holding a pup i rescued at the guard of the air port. Another of a Stray on a embankment scavaging (our food dump was near by (full of crows...where you see crows, some thing is dead in the vicinty)...The UNHCR emblem in the back ground
Had a dog once, Tanya. ..loved her to bits. Born same time as my son, more or less. Tri colour mask. Short hair, Like a beagle but more of a Griffon. ..Hunter pure Juice
Caught diabète. ..was costing money that i didnt have
I wrung her neck (500 € to get her put down by the vet and the body disposal if not)
Put her in my sons school bag and with him we went and layed her beside a tree near the rail way repairing zone. He carried the bag. He pulled her out of the bag etc..his dog after all. He was 7
Too many dogs and pussies and not enougth crows, imo
France, does not have dog licences
It would make funding for dog refuges (SPA) if they did
Far too many Pussies too, the meow type that purr when you stroke their fur and scratch your eye ball out in 2 shakes of a lambs tail. Are responsable for the majority of deaths of birds (the flying kind) Explains in part, why i havent seen a crow in years
Adorable vidéos posted on You Tube and T.V.make me puke !
Aquariums is another dirty buisness
Society is so screwed up
Priorités and pragmatics are loosing ground
Travel light and with out BURDENS
Dogs need space to be happy and if you live in apparemment .What's the point. A caprice
I also read fowl. ..Hens, Geese, and Quail
As from the start of April till Septembre /October (depends if there is an Indian summer. 1 Egg per day per Hen
Quail drop 9 to 13 eggs but just once a year and do not live long (small size)
Worked with horses
Son has a diplôme in Agricole (live stock)
Farmers who feed their cattle day in and day out. ..are attached to their beats. When it comes the day to send them off to the Slaughter house. ..they feel
Thing's have to be done and mastering ones émotions are a nécessité

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Far too many Pussies too, the meow type that purr when you stroke their fur and scratch your eye ball out in 2 shakes of a lambs tail. Are responsible for the majority of deaths of birds (the flying kind) Explains in part, why i haven't seen a crow in years.

Now, there's Le Petit, what a delivery! Spot on with the exception, the two legged kind will also scratch your eyes out. Funny our Bud Sexpert is not singing Ray Charles songs!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If Joseph sees this post I hope he can provide some first hand insight on what is happening there regarding these animals.
Thais in the North- Issan eat dogs. they are all supposed to be Buddhist, except for the Muslims in the south. They are supposed to be not cruel to animals...
Thailand in run by a junta (until the 24th of this month when they go to the elections :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) so it's best I keep my opinions to myself.
BTW, because of a law passed from 1st March of this year we have to leave by September.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Far too many Pussies too, the meow type that purr when you stroke their fur and scratch your eye ball out in 2 shakes of a lambs tail. Are responsible for the majority of deaths of birds (the flying kind) Explains in part, why i haven't seen a crow in years.

Now, there's Le Petit, what a delivery! Spot on with the exception, the two legged kind will also scratch your eyes out. Funny our Bud Sexpert is not singing Ray Charles songs!
You Rang .... :)QLaLV.gif

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi Iosttooth, I lived in Korea for a year, working for a major Korean construction company. My Korean colleagues always wanted to take me to a restaurant with dog on the menue, but I always refused, of course, I love dogs. I also saw the dogs destined for the table in their little cages and felt very sad for the dogs, but I couldn’t doanything about it.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Now for a different subject, but I don’t know how to start a new thread on this forum (yeah, I know I’m stupid, my wife tells me all the time). What I am curious about is what the members and posters on this forum think about the recent shootings at muslim mosques in Christchurch, N.Z.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I think that it is a matter of some non Muslim mentally deranged people that feel the need to retaliate for the acts of some Muslim mentally deranged people, and the Muslim insistence on having their own rule of law in countries were they migrated to.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think that it is a matter of some non Muslim mentally deranged people that feel the need to retaliate for the acts of some Muslim mentally deranged people, and the Muslim insistence on having their own rule of law in countries were they migrated to.
Ban radical islam they integrate or out with them.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I like dogs well enough. Man's Best Friend, and rightly so. But frankly, they're not bad in a sauce piquante over some rice.

Alligators are my favorite animal. I see an alligator, I get happy, in much the same way little girls react to baby rabbits. My fondest memory of my 5-year exile in Yankeedom was visiting a gator farm in Alamosa, CO, of all places. I almost felt a kinship with them; like "Mais, how the hell did we wind up here, Cher?"

None of which means that I don't order Alligator every damn time it's on a menu. But that's just me. Academically, I can understand y'all's aversion to eating dog, but it's a reservation I do not share.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The french have dozens of recipes for evry animal
Think i ate dog once, it was in Centre Afrique (Bouar)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The french have dozens of recipes for evry animal
Think i ate dog once, it was in Centre Afrique (Bouar)
Damn, if I ate dog I would remember that for sure. Or maybe they gave you something telling that is some other meat when in fact was a dog?

There was famous case in Serbia some 30 yr ago when inspection found a fair amount amount of dog skins in attic of one restaurant. I guess owner had hard time explaining how did they get there.
Funny enough, that restaurant doing good those days. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Was a Chinese place here using dog meat not sure what happened... 😆😆
Hot dog 🤣

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We had a rumour that when doing one of our rotation tours from the REP to Djibouti that when on guard the locals would sell us dog meat sandwich with a hot sauce we sacked it once that rumour went round never got the true story! Anyone here the same on their tours?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We had a rumour that when doing one of our rotation tours from the REP to Djibouti that when on guard the locals would sell us dog meat sandwich with a hot sauce we sacked it once that rumour went round never got the true story! Anyone here the same on their tours?
Geez Paps, you could have been eating dogs penis in that sanny.. 😆

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I was on guard duty too when i ate. .what ever (certainly wasn't beef as they have no cows /cattle. .plus smothered in Harissa (very hot spicey paste).

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was on guard duty too when i ate. .what ever (certainly wasn't beef as they have no cows /cattle. .plus smothered in Harissa (very hot spicey paste).
the hot spicey paste was to cover the taste & smell ... you got the Baws
tenor(2).gif

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
But is dog meat healthy?
The Tahitians eat dogs. They cook them in their traditional 'ovens' which is buried in the ground and left for at least eight hours. The dog has to be brown. Don't ask me why. I don't think that I've ever eaten any. I've had more than enough raw fish though.