Doubts in Joining the Legion?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
This is for those who will join. What are your doubts? Frankly, I feel as though I won't get strong in time to get to France.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
JPatrico,

I do not wish to appear negative. However if in doubt don't go.

Many years ago I as a 17 year old wanted to join a very tough and respected unit.
I had the 'want factor' which you must have to succeed. I was one of the smallest recruits, yet I won through.

I apologise for what may appear to be personal hubris. But in the military you must really want to be a member to succeed.

Good luck in all your endeavours.

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
Oh I really want to join. It's just that I have doubts on my current physical capabilities. I don't have doubts of joining the legion. I am asking if people are doubting on their personal abilities to get picked.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Hello JPatricio,
In life, being insecure in yourself can make you lose battles which you should win.
You must believe in yourself, cause nobody else will. All you can do is train as hard as you can and learn some French before you go !
The rest is up to them.

Good luck!

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
This is for those who will join. What are your doubts? Frankly, I feel as though I won't get strong in time to get to France.
Requires some guts mate. When I joined the army as a very young 17 year old, ( I could have taken Juniors but I chose adult rough filter) I was easily the worst runner in my platoon of 65+. I had some proper athletes training with me.
24 weeks later I passed out in a platoon of about 19. All the athletes quit. Mental strength counts for alot.
Just focus on the minimums and go with the right head on your shoulders. You have the reigns to your destiny.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Egypt
One thing I personally do is to have a look at all my weakness and try to turn them to strong points. For example, being an ex footballer (soccer in US) my leg is quite strong but my arms...not very much. Hence, making any running tests quite easy for me but pull ups are more of a challenge so I decided to focus on my weak point for sometime and try to turn it into a strong point. That's better than viewing it as a doubt or something that would get me rejected.

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
Hello JPatricio,
In life, being insecure in yourself can make you lose battles which you should win.
You must believe in yourself, cause nobody else will. All you can do is train as hard as you can and learn some French before you go !
The rest is up to them.

Good luck!
I will think on what you said. Thanks

One thing I personally do is to have a look at all my weakness and try to turn them to strong points. For example, being an ex footballer (soccer in US) my leg is quite strong but my arms...not very much. Hence, making any running tests quite easy for me but pull ups are more of a challenge so I decided to focus on my weak point for sometime and try to turn it into a strong point. That's better than viewing it as a doubt or something that would get me rejected.
good advice keegan thanks.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
JPatricio, I have to agree with you. You're looking for a mother hen to encourage you to go and join. However we both know that you 'won't get strong in time to get to France'. We're not talking about arms and legs here, we're talking about mental attitude. What the distinguished Chas calls the want factor Which to be quite honest, you don't have.
I believe that it would be a waste of your time to make the trip to Paris or Aubagne.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Oh I really want to join. It's just that I have doubts on my current physical capabilities. I don't have doubts of joining the legion. I am asking if people are doubting on their personal abilities to get picked.
They will get you fit my Lad...:)

rashisan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello to the new wannabe JPatricio,
from what i have seen in the selection center i can say that a lot of people looked like they just come to visit the Fort de Nogent, skinny, sad, stupid but they had a will, they at least tried. So the most important thing is to believe in yourself and to say "Hey i can do it! Nothing can stop me even i am not so fit!" To win the battle you must first win it in your mind!
Good luck!

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
JPatricio, I have to agree with you. You're looking for a mother hen to encourage you to go and join. However we both know that you 'won't get strong in time to get to France'. We're not talking about arms and legs here, we're talking about mental attitude. What the distinguished Chas calls the want factor Which to be quite honest, you don't have.
I believe that it would be a waste of your time to make the trip to Paris or Aubagne.
I will think on this thanks. It's just I screwed up my life here. I don't know what to do anymore. The Legion gives me some hope that things will get better

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Get rid of the negative attitude lad! A lot of it is in the head and heart! the so called Rambos and bullshit artists are usually weeded out in the first few weeks at the farm or they desert! When you go through selection be up front and have the want factor! Best of luck.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
The more you talk, more doubt will come into the equation. Your youth comes only once. In the blink of an eye you'll be pushing 30, then middle age will be looking back at you in the mirror. Less than 1% of men that come on this forum ever make the journey (knock on the big gate). We can only offer so much advice and encouragement. You have a small window of opportunity, go for it before it closes!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Even worse, you will become an 'old fart' and has been...….rathe like me, but still enjoying banter and spouting sage nonsense. Now work that out.:)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Well I'm a h@rny 52_year old...everything still works. However old Floydy is Spot on with his Post...time Waits for no man !

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Its normal to be nervous and have some reservations. However if you have any element of doubt bouncing around in your head, don't do it.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
What kind of expert are you then? :unsure::)
Only thing I was good at school was biology... :D Had a long haired red head teacher, she was Irish. On a serious note I think you should do some boxing or judo parallel to your fitness training to get you confident, rugged & raw aggression. Harden you up physically & mentally.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Boxing is awesome, I try to throw in a boxing workout at least twice a week. And then skipping o_O....broken after that....

Most viewed threads of the week