a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION English Language

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
I know that French is the only language you are supposed to use, but realistically speaking, do Legionnaires communicate via English a lot of times? I mean English is a pretty global language.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I know that French is the only language you are supposed to use, but realistically speaking, do Legionnaires communicate via English a lot of times? I mean English is a pretty global language.
You will hear it in the foyer..perhaps discreetly in the company club and certainly downtown with your mates! The same with other nationalities. On duty?..French only!!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I would say that Russian would be more common in the legion nowadays. However, as Mark rightly points out, it is French on duty, otherwise what language would you want to communicate in? It's a bit like Israel having chosen Hebrew rather than English? At the time who spoke Hebrew?

I really cannot insist enough on the importance of learning French. I have said it often enough that although you are given French lessons, they are the extreme basics, a lot of the subtleties are lost. For example, Spring in French is Printemps try explaining what that is to an Asian in French.
In my day your average Asian was happy to coast along, doing the minimum required of him. He would usually end up as waiter in the mess. Nowadays it doesn't work like that. For every Indien, Chinese and Nepali who join, how many are taken on? It is not racism that I'm talking about. What the legion are looking for is character.

You should all turn up with a minimum of French; a solid base on which you can build.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I would say that Russian would be more common in the legion nowadays. However, as Mark rightly points out, it is French on duty, otherwise what language would you want to communicate in? It's a bit like Israel having chosen Hebrew rather than English? At the time who spoke Hebrew?
I don't think so Joe. Many kids today speak at least some English. Certainly much more than in your time.
So although guys from East Europe are still maybe most numerous I doubt that Russian will be second most spoken language in FFL today. After all only Russians, Ukrainians and some ex-SSSR can communicate in Russian.
I'm pretty sure English would be more common this days. Which will make everyone Angelo mafia. Which is my nightmare coming true. :)

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't think so Joe. Many kids today speak at least some English. Certainly much more than in your time.
So although guys from East Europe are still maybe most numerous I doubt that Russian will be second most spoken language in FFL today. After all only Russians, Ukrainians and some ex-SSSR can communicate in Russian.
I'm pretty sure English would be more common this days. Which will make everyone Angelo mafia. Which is my nightmare coming true. :)
May as well get used to it Dusa😉 have some fish n chips with malt vinegar washed down with brown ale! ..I swear you will saying mate to everyone!🇬🇧

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
May as well get used to it Dusa😉 have some fish n chips with malt vinegar washed down with brown ale! ..I swear you will saying mate to everyone!🇬🇧
F me. I really want to try that fish and chips. But directly on streets of London. Wrapped in yesterday's newspapers. But i would also like to keep that experience up on the island

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I would certainly hope the Foreign Legion speak french ! I mean if you can´t then how can you understand orders in battle or do anything really? Coming from a medical background i can only say it´s important to understand and quickly !

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I would certainly hope the Foreign Legion speak french ! I mean if you can´t then how can you understand orders in battle or do anything really? Coming from a medical background i can only say it´s important to understand and quickly !
Why would you care!? You have yet to introduce yourself!! and why you are on this forum?..nice to have ladies on board..but..we’d like to know who we are dealing with!🤔 you ignored the questions from our marine friend!

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Why would you care!? You have yet to introduce yourself!! and why you are on this forum?..nice to have ladies on board..but..we’d like to know who we are dealing with!🤔 you ignored the questions from our marine friend!
peut-être que vous ne devriez pas être impoli. essayez de vous présenter en premier

shirly xx

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
peut-être que vous ne devriez pas être impoli. essayez de vous présenter en premier

shirly xx
Be polite, you are a guest here. Don't outstay your welcome. When you join this forum it is customary to introduce yourself. We all did at the time.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Be polite, you are a guest here. Don't outstay your welcome. When you join this forum it is customary to introduce yourself. We all did at the time.
well normally if you ask someone it´s good manners to tell them who you are. I do not know who you are so why should i tell you about me?
I do not think you are even the owner of this website so i will ignore it. It´s no wonder there are no other women on here if you act like macho men on here. I doubt you are macho though.🤣
Also i wrote a bit about myself when joining so i think that is for the mod to know and not you.
shirly xx

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Another "Sexpert" it seems. That attitude usually works for you? (rhetorical). Go back to the streets, you're losing customers.
Goodbye.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Another "Sexpert" it seems. That attitude usually works for you? (rhetorical). Go back to the streets, you're losing customers.
Goodbye.
I beg your pardon ? I have reported you. I can take a joke but this is an insult !

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Goodbye.
Let it be mate..I don’t want see you get in trouble..a sad day for the forum I think when a couple of simple questions.. causes such an uproar!..there was no disrespect insults or rudeness when those questions were asked.. apparently now..we have to be politically correct..or risk the likes/dislikes or even be reported!!..simply a product of the times!.. having said that.. I recognize Shirley has her right to say something as do we!!..if the forum thinks different?..then let it be me..en taule!😉

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
My choice of words was below the level of this forum, I'm guilty and of course ready to face any eventual consequences. I also have no other intention but to move on - for me case closed.
That was big of you Perun
Thanks,
I believe that an apology to shirly is in order, so that we can all move on.

By the way Sexpert is dead to the forum ;) :cry::LOL::ROFLMAO: