Enlistment in different Militaries

Hello everyone,

This post is purely out of interest and curiosity. I came across a story online of an American who supposedly did 5 years in the legion. He then went on to explain that after his time, he came back and couldn’t get a decent job in the American army because he couldn’t get a security clearance, claiming their was a “5 year gap that they couldn’t justify.”

It was a rather interesting story, since we always hear about people joining the legion with PRIOR time in their own military, but seldom the other way around. Anyone on here know about stories of ex-legionnaires joining their own countries military AFTER their time in the legion? I believe that this man went on to desert the army and move back to Europe, where he has taken an interest in PMC work. Story seemed a little fishy, but I would like to hear your ideas on this topic. I can find the link if anyone’s interested.

Thanks everyone,

-WS

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

This post is purely out of interest and curiosity. I came across a story online of an American who supposedly did 5 years in the legion. He then went on to explain that after his time, he came back and couldn’t get a decent job in the American army because he couldn’t get a security clearance, claiming their was a “5 year gap that they couldn’t justify.”

It was a rather interesting story, since we always hear about people joining the legion with PRIOR time in their own military, but seldom the other way around. Anyone on here know about stories of ex-legionnaires joining their own countries military AFTER their time in the legion? I believe that this man went on to desert the army and move back to Europe, where he has taken an interest in PMC work. Story seemed a little fishy, but I would like to hear your ideas on this topic. I can find the link if anyone’s interested.

Thanks everyone,

-WS
No I’m not interested! You are out to glean every thing you can from this forum and that’s fine. There are threads/ historians and the usual nerds that think they know all about this question. Most of the greens/anciens back in the day knew someone who served in 2 or more different armies. but for the most part we keep it to ourselves.

There was also an american guy im sure that done the legion then US army afterwards. He also done a tv programme called escape to the legion. His name is Glen Ferguson he was a member on this forum at one point im sure. Please anyone correct me if im wrong.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
There was also an american guy im sure that done the legion then US army afterwards. He also done a tv programme called escape to the legion. His name is Glen Ferguson he was a member on this forum at one point im sure. Please anyone correct me if im wrong.
No you are right mate. Escape to the legion? What a bloody joke!

No I’m not interested! You are out to glean every thing you can from this forum and that’s fine. There are threads/ historians and the usual nerds that think they know all about this question. Most of the greens/anciens back in the day knew someone who served in 2 or more different armies. but for the most part we keep it to ourselves.
Not sure what you mean by this, but it was simply something I saw online that I felt was worth mentioning here. Plenty of people mention prior experience I just haven’t seen a lot of the reverse scenario. I apologize if this seemed to be an irrelevant or useless post, just curious what people’s input is on the subject.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
Not sure what you mean by this, but it was simply something I saw online that I felt was worth mentioning here. Plenty of people mention prior experience I just haven’t seen a lot of the reverse scenario. I apologize if this seemed to be an irrelevant or useless post, just curious what people’s input is on the subject.
No need to apologize. Just the old fart in me! I knew one Brit ex para. Did his time in the REP. Then went back to the parachute regiment. another lad. Ex guards/rep. Then went on to serve in the South African army! Both superb soldiers! Not so sure that would happen in today’s environment!

No need to apologize. Just the old fart in me! I knew one Brit ex para. Did his time in the REP. Then went back to the parachute regiment. another lad. Ex guards/rep. Then went on to serve in the South African army! Both superb soldiers! Not so sure that would happen in today’s environment!
Hi Mark was the South African about 6’ 3” and kept his real name starting with S 4cie? Think he came to the Rep around 83 their is a photo that includes him on the photo part of this site!

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
big secret ..eh? guy was just curious. settle down Rambo. :rolleyes:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
big secret ..eh? guy was just curious. settle down Rambo. :rolleyes:
Secret? Your words not mine. Rambo? Nah! I’m just an old fart! Do I know you Benny hill?
Hi Mark was the South African about 6’ 3” and kept his real name starting with S 4cie? Think he came to the Rep around 83 their is a photo that includes him on the photo part of this site!
no mate. the lad
No mate. the lad i knew was a cockney. 77/78. all the best.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Mark, when you get chance and if you want to, I. and I'm sure the others, would like to hear a bit about what it was like out there. Alright, I've had a few beers with guys like Cazel, Nouless and the rest, but what about you. On the night that they sounded the alert. Another drill?

And on that note is it fact or fiction? Someone jumped with a empty case of special K ,as for kit inspection it looked better with antenna stuck out the box? And bye time all was on it was to late or just a foyer story? Some how I think it was right but a lot of years have passed.

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Pro Member
Premium Member
Mark, when you get chance and if you want to, I. and I'm sure the others, would like to hear a bit about what it was like out there. Alright, I've had a few beers with guys like Cazel, Nouless and the rest, but what about you. On the night that they sounded the alert. Another drill?
. We thought it was another drill Joseph but when that siren went off and our captain went rushing off to the headquarters we knew it was serious! One of the lads groaned Christ! Can’t they bloody leave us alone! caporal Arnold my chef d equipe choc turned to me and said mark get your shit packed looks like this might be a big one! Maybe more later.

Most viewed threads of the week