Enlistment in different Militaries

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
I hail this (if become reality). Germany building up its army from moment there restrictions dating from after WW2 are ended.

Whole Europe need to get "rehab" from military dependency from US. UK made it clear that they don't want to have nothing with EU which will inevitably become bit more independent from US, for rest ... we would see.

I think that Germany are pissed from US pressure. US ask from Germany to impose sanctions to Russia which would benefit only US and damage both Russia and Germany and for what? Because American politicians still think they are in late 90s in unipolar world where US is only empire in the world.

Things are changed in last 15 years. Russia regain some of its old power, China became very important player. Economically first, then with their modernization of army with greatest manpower in the world.

Now Germany doing interesting moves and I'm convinced that they would have bigger military power than France pretty soon.

As for France I think they are not sure where they want go in this moment. Doing easier thing (in this moment) and let US guiding hand steer their boat, or turn to Germany, rest of Europe and more independent policy and army of EU.

Same as my country, we want to be good with Russians , Americans, Chinese and EU in same time. Simply mission impossible :). We did played that role successfully as Yugoslavia in one period in history. But times are drastically different and we have to choose side or we gonna be F-ed by everyone.
You will hail what dusa? A rising Germany under Merkel? What are they going to do? Flash their petticoats at Putin? The Brits are too few but will fight the good fight! The French? Same thing! It will be history déja vu! You sit there at your keyboard and mouth off! The United States, what a lovely target all the time! You don’t have the balls to walk through the gates but what an expert on military matters!

Well it is one way of handiling the immigrunt crisis. ..
Jonny Turk makes a good soldier.(y) The state of European defence is parlous. I recall when the Corps defended the Kola peninsular as experts in MAW. They regarded themselves to be the 'Forlorn Hope'. It was predicted that it would take 24 to 48 hours for the Russians to roll through Europe. Then the pundits believed it would go nuclear. Thank God it did not.

Now despite all the posturing the Russian might is greatly reduced albeit still a threat for small nations. It is made worse by the stupidity and unpredictability of Trump. I believe he suggested that Montenegro would be a source of WW3. I doubt he even knows the geographical location of this tiny nation, yet alone the size of their miniscule armed forces.

I hail this (if become reality). Germany building up its army from moment there restrictions dating from after WW2 are ended.

Whole Europe need to get "rehab" from military dependency from US. UK made it clear that they don't want to have nothing with EU which will inevitably become bit more independent from US, for rest ... we would see.

I think that Germany are pissed from US pressure. US ask from Germany to impose sanctions to Russia which would benefit only US and damage both Russia and Germany and for what? Because American politicians still think they are in late 90s in unipolar world where US is only empire in the world.

Things are changed in last 15 years. Russia regain some of its old power, China became very important player. Economically first, then with their modernization of army with greatest manpower in the world.

Now Germany doing interesting moves and I'm convinced that they would have bigger military power than France pretty soon.

As for France I think they are not sure where they want go in this moment. Doing easier thing (in this moment) and let US guiding hand steer their boat, or turn to Germany, rest of Europe and more independent policy and army of EU.

Same as my country, we want to be good with Russians , Americans, Chinese and EU in same time. Simply mission impossible :). We did played that role successfully as Yugoslavia in one period in history. But times are drastically different and we have to choose side or we gonna be F-ed by everyone.
Germany will never opt to become a military powerhouse again, they are too big on the idea of a single pan European defence force. I believe that they might create a unit for EU citizens only, or integrate it into an existing unit. They've already got such a unit with the French and Belgians if I'm not mistaken, commanders alternate between the 2 nations.

Unfortunately if the Russians decide they've had enough, Germany and France's would be nuked and steam rolled. It will be like ww2 all over again, Britain will become staging place for a counter invasion led by the Yanks. Or the UK will be turned into glass. In the age of nukes there is no winner.

Dusaboss,
Interesting end of world scenario. Battlefield nukes have been available for ages. Mother Russia knows that once resorted to, her cities would be obliterated.

I know what it is like for our small island to be a floating air field and a target. We as a country would be hard pressed to survive. Hence we retain a nuclear deterrent and rightly so.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusaboss,
Interesting end of world scenario. Battlefield nukes have been available for ages. Mother Russia knows that once resorted to, her cities would be obliterated.
Ye but, not mine idea. Snafu said that. I have bit different view on that.
You will hail what dusa? A rising Germany under Merkel? What are they going to do? Flash their petticoats at Putin?
I see some many people here can't get over cold war hysteria especially now when Russia regained some power. Why do you think that Putin only waits for good moment to invade Europe? That hysteria are pumped through media and forced into people's heads without many facts and connections with reality.

Are Putin have some imperialist tendencies? Yes, probably. But they are directed towards areas populated with ethnic Russians and Russian speaking people. Those people in high prestige wish to be under Russian government or in some union with Russia. And why not ? NATO wouldn't like that? There was agreement made after fall of iron curtain that NATO wouldn't go east. Obviously nobody gave horse shit for that after some 10 y we have NATO on Russian borders.

I'm not supporting Russia in any way I'm just looking on situation from neutral position. WW3 would not occur because of Montenegro (For god sake President Trump :)). It would occur if US try to cut Russia from selling oil and gas to Europe. Or if whole Ukraine somehow become NATO member. Thats line under which Russia can't have a luxury to go.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Ye but, not mine idea. Snafu said that. I have bit different view on that.

I see some many people here can't get over cold war hysteria especially now when Russia regained some power. Why do you think that Putin only waits for good moment to invade Europe? That hysteria are pumped through media and forced into people's heads without many facts and connections with reality.

Are Putin have some imperialist tendencies? Yes, probably. But they are directed towards areas populated with ethnic Russians and Russian speaking people. Those people in high prestige wish to be under Russian government or in some union with Russia. And why not ? NATO wouldn't like that? There was agreement made after fall of iron curtain that NATO wouldn't go east. Obviously nobody gave horse shit for that after some 10 y we have NATO on Russian borders.

I'm not supporting Russia in any way I'm just looking on situation from neutral position. WW3 would not occur because of Montenegro (For god sake President Trump :)). It would occur if US try to cut Russia from selling oil and gas to Europe. Or if whole Ukraine somehow become NATO member. Thats line under which Russia can't have a luxury to go.
Cold War hysteria? Excuse me my little Serbian friend! Who started all this crap in the first place? World War One caused by the Serbs which in turn created World War Two! The Cold War? Was a checkmate to stop the Russians doing a repeat of may 1940! But of course this was all America’s fault! As for the comments on trump? Angela Merkel / Theresa may and quite a few other leaders across the pond aren’t that much better! anyway enough of politics. Apologies if I was a little rough on you the yank in me got a little uptight! The Brit in me? Bollocks! i’m off to a beer and fish n chips!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Cold War hysteria? Excuse me my little Serbian friend! Who started all this crap in the first place? World War One caused by the Serbs which in turn created World War Two! The Cold War? Was a checkmate to stop the Russians doing a repeat of may 1940! But of course this was all America’s fault! As for the comments on trump? Angela Merkel / Theresa may and quite a few other leaders across the pond aren’t that much better! anyway enough of politics. Apologies if I was a little rough on you the yank in me got a little uptight! The Brit in me? Bollocks! i’m off to a beer and fish n chips!
I don't know who starred all that carp. (Cold War) Maybe nobody started, its just happened among two dominant winners of ww2.

WW1 was caused by Serbs? (and you even linked that to WW2). Please, ask any serious historian about importance of Serbia in start of WW1. Do you think that any of big powers at the time (same as today) really gave f*ck about Serbia? Of course not, they where persecuting their interests and Serbs came as useful idiots (unfortunately that wasn't last time and I think it would be more stupid behaviour by my countrymen).

I'm not blaming America for everything I blame them for reckless behavior from 90s till recently when they ware only one real superpower in the world. They did many mistakes in that period.

And Mark, why do you take that personally?

mark wake

Legionnaire
I don't know who starred all that carp. (Cold War) Maybe nobody started, its just happened among two dominant winners of ww2.

WW1 was caused by Serbs? (and you even linked that to WW2). Please, ask any serious historian about importance of Serbia in start of WW1. Do you think that any of big powers at the time (same as today) really gave f*ck about Serbia? Of course not, they where persecuting their interests and Serbs came as useful idiots (unfortunately that wasn't last time and I think it would be more stupid behaviour by my countrymen).

I'm not blaming America for everything I blame them for reckless behavior from 90s till recently when they ware only one real superpower in the world. They did many mistakes in that period.

And Mark, why do you take that personally?[/QUOTe. Not taking anything personally. Now can I get blitzed in peace!?

The French Foreign Legion is in Sete (south west france)today, 09h - 18h
Accepting 17 to 40 years old (parental autherisation for the 17 years old required)
No scholarity requirments needed
Able to justify ones identity
Pass the physical tests

Source : the Métropolitain

So why than they spill so much of German and much more Serbian blood here?
Because it was a shortcut to get to the oil fields of the Caucasus's and the Germans wanted to cut off the Persian corridor to stop the oil supply to the allies. They just got stuck a bit short in Stalingrad.

mark wake

Legionnaire

And Mark, why do you take that personally?
Just a footnote to that. As a Serb where do your true loyalty’s lie? You give the yanks shit because of quote.all the mistakes they made during the 90s. If they/ NATO hadn’t of been around to keep the peace then what would of happened!? A greater Croatia? Along with the death camps etc?

Avec beaucoup de respect, Ancien, but I suspect that the Serb position is that: without western (L'OTAN, UN) intervention, the result would have been greater Serbia, not Croatia. And there's, perhaps, the rub; the Serbs feel betrayed by the West.

Gentleman on both sides, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Apres tout, c'etais juste mes deux piastres.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
As a Serb where do your true loyalty’s lie?
A good question. I often ask myself and can't find answer. I'm not loyal to nationalistic Serbia raised in 90s.

I'm bit confused of what is politics of today Serbia, but and despite patriotic feelings it is difficult for me to be loyal to the country in which me as man in peak of his life can't earn enough money for shelter, food and clothes (I can't even think about wife and kids)

I was raised in Yugoslav spirit and I'm still nostalgic for that time and country, but that wouldn't come back during my life time on probably much longer.

So I'm loyal to myself, to my parents, was to my gf, but that it's over, to couple friends who deserve and that's it. Hope that I would become loyal to FFL!
You give the yanks shit because of quote.all the mistakes they made during the 90s. If they/ NATO hadn’t of been around to keep the peace then what would of happened!? A greater Croatia? Along with the death camps etc?
Crawdad is right. Without NATO intervention big Serbia is much more likely than big Croatia. We simply had bigger and stronger army, majority of Yugoslav equipment was taken to Serbia. Without help in arms, money and air strikes from NATO I highly doubt that Croatia could resist for long time. (I'm talking this without any biased).

NATO (maybe more European part of UN) actually did really sloppy job in ex-YU, That was admitted by NATO officials and many western politician. They were on the ground, but no one from 3 sides didn't really care much about them until near end of war when Americans took things in their hands and save the day forcing all 3 sides into Dayton Peace Agreement.

So yes some big blood shed is been prevented, but not nearly in the extent to which it was supposed to be done by UN, NATO and international community.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Not at all! I often wondered why the dusa gave us the opinions he did! thank you for giving this ancien an insight into that brain of his! And to the sad history of the balkans.

mark wake

Legionnaire
A good question. I often ask myself and can't find answer. I'm not loyal to nationalistic Serbia raised in 90s.

I'm bit confused of what is politics of today Serbia, but and despite patriotic feelings it is difficult for me to be loyal to the country in which me as man in peak of his life can't earn enough money for shelter, food and clothes (I can't even think about wife and kids)

I was raised in Yugoslav spirit and I'm still nostalgic for that time and country, but that wouldn't come back during my life time on probably much longer.

So I'm loyal to myself, to my parents, was to my gf, but that it's over, to couple friends who deserve and that's it. Hope that I would become loyal to FFL!

Crawdad is right. Without NATO intervention big Serbia is much more likely than big Croatia. We simply had bigger and stronger army, majority of Yugoslav equipment was taken to Serbia. Without help in arms, money and air strikes from NATO I highly doubt that Croatia could resist for long time. (I'm talking this without any biased).

NATO (maybe more European part of UN) actually did really sloppy job in ex-YU, That was admitted by NATO officials and many western politician. They were on the ground, but no one from 3 sides didn't really care much about them until near end of war when Americans took things in their hands and save the day forcing all 3 sides into Dayton Peace Agreement.

So yes some big blood shed is been prevented, but not nearly in the extent to which it was supposed to be done by UN, NATO and international community.
Aye. I think if we could do away with the bloody politicians the world would be a better place!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
I often wondered why the dusa gave us the opinions he did! .
Why not? :)

Sometimes I just want to share many thoughts and sometimes I'm pissed by highly biased,one sided and simpleminded good vs bad opinions on some very complicated geopolitical events. I'm just asking for truth, at least when it's possible to be shown.

Most viewed threads of the week