Enlistment in different Militaries

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
A good question. I often ask myself and can't find answer. I'm not loyal to nationalistic Serbia raised in 90s.

I'm bit confused of what is politics of today Serbia, but and despite patriotic feelings it is difficult for me to be loyal to the country in which me as man in peak of his life can't earn enough money for shelter, food and clothes (I can't even think about wife and kids)

I was raised in Yugoslav spirit and I'm still nostalgic for that time and country, but that wouldn't come back during my life time on probably much longer.

So I'm loyal to myself, to my parents, was to my gf, but that it's over, to couple friends who deserve and that's it. Hope that I would become loyal to FFL!

Crawdad is right. Without NATO intervention big Serbia is much more likely than big Croatia. We simply had bigger and stronger army, majority of Yugoslav equipment was taken to Serbia. Without help in arms, money and air strikes from NATO I highly doubt that Croatia could resist for long time. (I'm talking this without any biased).

NATO (maybe more European part of UN) actually did really sloppy job in ex-YU, That was admitted by NATO officials and many western politician. They were on the ground, but no one from 3 sides didn't really care much about them until near end of war when Americans took things in their hands and save the day forcing all 3 sides into Dayton Peace Agreement.

So yes some big blood shed is been prevented, but not nearly in the extent to which it was supposed to be done by UN, NATO and international community.
My claim to fame : I was there !o_O Not exactly sure what my role was, I mean outside of the company. I don't even know why I've still got these cards either to be quite honest, I'd have thought they would have asked for them back.
IFOR.jpg UN.jpg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I'm not good on dates, but it says 95 on the IFOR (Implantation Force) in the middle of the ID card on the left, so I'll say winter of 95/96. I remember because we got flooded out in Mostar - someone opened the dam gates, no word of a lie. And then we spent Christmas in Mont Igman.

We all received a christmas parcel from the French army. Inside of it was a saucisson, a half bottle of red wine, an opinal (fold away knife - with a corn handle instead of wood, a tin of paté de chevreuil and a CD of Ophilie winters. I can tell you that when the snow melted there would be at least 130 CDs to pick up.

From there we move to Kalonovic which was the birth place of one of the Serbe leaders.

Why do you ask, did I leave an unpaid bar bill :unsure:

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
My claim to fame : I was there !o_O Not exactly sure what my role was, I mean outside of the company. I don't even know why I've still got these cards either to be quite honest, I'd have thought they would have asked for them back.
View attachment 3889 View attachment 3890
Hardly think they’d be worried about a c/chef Képi noir keeping those documents Joseph. I still have my old French social security card! Wonder if it’s still valid?🤔 probably only good for the old fart’s club museum! all the best.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Why do you ask, did I leave an unpaid bar bill :unsure:
No Joe, I don't ask because of that. But if you have some unpaid bar bills I'm willing to sacrifice myself and to drink that in name of Serbian people. :)

I'm asking because FFL was deployed in Bosnia twice (if I'm not mistaken). First in '92-'93 and second '95-'96.

First time was much bigger mess than second time. (Again, my findings. We have many guys on board who was there so I would be very glad to hear their opinion). First time war was in full rage UN peacekeepers were with white vehicles and blue helmets and they had order not to engage in any conflict unless they are directly attacked. All 3 sides take advantage of that often attacking them and blaming other side for that in order to get support of UN
In same time they (UN peacekeepers) had their allies, often coming from same country as they are, doing airstrikes on Bosnian Serbs. Mladić forces took some UN prisoners and chain them to strategic locations which should be attacked by air force. Not funny time for guys with blue helmets.

After peace treaty was signed thing whore much better for FFL. They were part of rapid reaction force and I think they had orders to react if anyone do some crap. They had camouflage uniform and probably license to shoot when ever is necessary.
Much different situation form early deployments and confusion in UN forces at the time.

Srebrenica is one, biggest example of UN failure. Of course we know who is main author of that event and I'm ashamed that someone did that in name of Serbian people and even more ashamed when some people try to make heroes out of people responsible for that terrible war crime.

But yes Dutch peacekeepers failed big time. I would talk about that event. Have no time now.

No Joe, I don't ask because of that. But if you have some unpaid bar bills I'm willing to sacrifice myself and to drink that in name of Serbian people. :)

I'm asking because FFL was deployed in Bosnia twice (if I'm not mistaken). First in '92-'93 and second '95-'96.

First time was much bigger mess than second time. (Again, my findings. We have many guys on board who was there so I would be very glad to hear their opinion). First time war was in full rage UN peacekeepers were with white vehicles and blue helmets and they had order not to engage in any conflict unless they are directly attacked. All 3 sides take advantage of that often attacking them and blaming other side for that in order to get support of UN
In same time they (UN peacekeepers) had their allies, often coming from same country as they are, doing airstrikes on Bosnian Serbs. Mladić forces took some UN prisoners and chain them to strategic locations which should be attacked by air force. Not funny time for guys with blue helmets.

After peace treaty was signed thing whore much better for FFL. They were part of rapid reaction force and I think they had orders to react if anyone do some crap. They had camouflage uniform and probably license to shoot when ever is necessary.
Much different situation form early deployments and confusion in UN forces at the time.

Srebrenica is one, biggest example of UN failure. Of course we know who is main author of that event and I'm ashamed that someone did that in name of Serbian people and even more ashamed when some people try to make heroes out of people responsible for that terrible war crime.

But yes Dutch peacekeepers failed big time. I would talk about that event. Have no time now.
The UN has had their fair share of blunders, Rwanda is another prime example. Its difficult to have a peacekeeping mission in the middle of an ethnic warzone.

The UN has had their fair share of blunders, Rwanda is another prime example. Its difficult to have a peacekeeping mission in the middle of an ethnic warzone.
The UN is pretty much useless and sometimes does more damage than good.. A good example of this is minustah, not they did not fix anything, but left the place in worst shape than before. I have 4 friends that were there as blue helment, the only good thing they got from it was money...

Gosh ID cards that brings back memories. I still retain my original officer's ID card and original paybook as (Mne) Royal Marine. The paybook should have been retained by the pay office after my promotion.

RM officers of my time had a great problem in trying to join the RBL. The RBL only accepted official numbers. It was only years later that the RM issued official numbers. All we had were blue Naval ID Cards with photo, height, personal details such as hair colour/scars, name of the issuing officer, place of issue and card number. Mine was issued by Capt. Alexander- Adjutant Eastney Barracks. He retired as a Maj. Gen.

Years later in the TA as Capt. Mainwaring my official number was. 53*66* as posted in the London Gazette.

Chas. Defiant a la Mort.

Most viewed threads of the week