a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION EOD's usual day in present times?

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
Hi, my name is Esteban, currently living in Costa Rica.

I've been planning for quite a while to join, not because of family issues or anything personal... The times of economic stability and having a safe secure job in here is getting quite rough now and it will continue to decay. Adding that the usual jobs in here in office feel like there is no real purpose in just working to barely live at the end of the day and let's not even talk about the corrupt and useless police force of my country because well... We do not even have an army.

I'm familiar with the regiments of the Legion and I have quite the interest in the Engineer regiments (1 REG & 2 REG) to be specific the EOD company, however compared to other armies in the world I barely see any information on the Legion EODs.

If any of you know, how is the usual day of an EOD both in mainland France or on deployment?

Thanks!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not very versed, actually not versed on the FFL EOD Teams. The similarity with the US Marines and the FFL is that EOD is aligned in Engineering Battalions. Now, in the USMC, one cannot simply go to boot camp and immediately go to training to become EOD Technicians. One must be a Sergeant with a specific minimum time in the Marine Corps. EOD school is a very demanding school and it requires the individual be mature, that is why only Sergeants and above can apply to go EOD.

Our EOD was extremely busy while I was in Iraq, they even had a different rotation schedule the rest of us had 7-months in Country and 5-months back home. We on the other hand were on a 7-month tour and then 18-months at home. EOD is in very high demand and they are very much hunted by the Iraqis because of what they do and the vast amount of knowledge and resources it takes to field a fully qualified EOD Tech.

Finally, as you may imagine, the heaviest loss of life we had in my battalion were the EOD Techs. When on a daily basis a 9-line calls comes into the Combat Operation Center for an IED and EOD rolls on the call to the IED the numbers eventually catch up, the more you are around the IEDs the likely chance is one will go off or be set off by a spotter.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Politicians are
Well, you probably has never seen what I witnessed in Algeria when a 4x4 belonging to a unit of regulars blew up so high in the sky by a buried land mine (IED) I thought a helicopter had exploded. I was in the truck just behind the flying 4x4. I also have other stories, if you should happen to be interested.

I attach a pic of the dead marines along with our own captain who was killed later on the same day. Here they lay in state in our little chapel at Camp Pehaut in Phillippeville the night before their burial. I was on honour guard that night.

611782FE-27FD-4817-BF8D-0DAD098489B1.jpeg

Last edited:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Vive la legion!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, you probably has never seen what I witnessed in Algeria when a 4x4 belonging to a unit of regulars blew up so high in the sky by a buried land mine (IED) I thought a helicopter had exploded. I was in the truck just behind the flying 4x4. I also have other stories, if you should happen to be interested.

I attach a pic of the dead marines along with our own captain who was killed later on the same day. Here they lay in state in our little chapel at Camp Pehaut in Phillippeville the night before their burial. I was on honour guard that night.

View attachment 4981

Anti Tank mine likely. Takes something heavy to set it off

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
1967 in HK we experienced some 9000 IEDs'. One in eight were genuine. Fakes were placed to disrupt normal colony life, stretch the security forces or act as an ambush trap.

Live, some were very basic others were very sophisticated. All lethal needing great care and attention. My associate ATO Sgt. Workman was killed blown of Lion Rock by a bomb placed close to a nationalist flag. Several other members of the bomb disposal team were injured in other locations.

The Chinese are wizards with pyrotechnics, skilled and devious with it. 800 members of the Police, Fire services and Public Works Department were injured. For 7 months I was on permanent standby often working an 18 hour shift on Kowloon side.