a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sorry guys, I have lots of pm. And I will write back and post to all who asked something. Just getting through Xmas here at regiment . I'll be with CplK,Monday.
After, Paris for 2 weeks. If anyone would like to meet me, you are welcome. First beers on me And Florida medic. We have our vacation at the same time ironically.

Thanks for the support and welcome back. I'm green!!!!and red...
DCLXVI

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Damn....It was great chatting with you and K, he took care of me well when I was there last time before I went to selection. I wish I could join you guys and same with hanging with you and Florida in Paris. Next year buddy! We will make it happen!

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok, I am answering questions in this thread. Rapace, I know the answers to your questions, but will keep them private. It did help me coming back again, that played largely. Having a degree, helped, too. Having nothing to go back to also.

I got to picked my own regiment, I finished well in my class. I don't know if this helps or answers the question. For all other men, tattooes are irrelevant in the Legion and criminal problems are not either. AT ALL.

Whatever a man decides to tell, is up to him. Say what you want, be wise.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
(...) Whatever a man decides to tell, is up to him. Say what you want, be wise.
Remaining quiet about some parts of your past if you are not questioned is OK, but don't ever tell a lie : they would find out and kill you (well... throw you out).

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Even he, doesn't have all the 'answers', just like me and I served more then 5 minutes and ran the recruiting shop, for a while longer, knowing that things change every second, depending on what happens in the world and who runs the show (think outside the box and know your enemies).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Remaining quiet about some parts of your past if you are not questioned is OK, but don't ever tell a lie : they would find out and kill you (well... throw you out).
Yeah, but it's not that easy. For instance me or someone else who want to be quiet about little misdeeds in past, goes to the interview and gets question "Have you ever been arrested?" (I got some feeling that this question very likely comes). So, if I answer "no", I'm lying, if I answer "yes", more questions will come at me which will require me to lie or to tell the truth and probably get kicked out anyway. It's tricky thing. :)

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Everybody here had some misdeeds that they hid in the past and to be honest I don't think the Legion gives a damn about the small stuff! But if its something major, goodbye!! Like D.P. said think outside the box!!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
DCLXVI, if you can hear a piece of advice from an 'old fart', I would recommend you, for your own security and 'peace of mind', to restrict the audience of the pictures you post on FB only to a limited number of cyber or actual friends, in particular those where you are in uniform, with other legionnaires and/or which are taken inside the Legion facilities (even if they don't show anything 'sensitive'). The BSPLE folks may not like it if they see them.
Remember: it's the Foreign Legion, not the Boy Scouts of America.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
From a real 'Old Fart' who never had the honour to serve with the Foreign Legion, I for one, totally concur with Rapace's post and sage advice.

I can recall the old British WW2 posters advising everyone to be discreet since you never knew who might be watching or listening.

In this internet age and with many personal photos available it is possible that one might be targeted or a photo inadvertently denoting a military location, be used by malcontents operating in this turbulent world.

Yes, you can see me on FB and I have shaved off my revolting moustache, but have retained my military haircut not shown. It was all in aid of military charity.

Happy New Year everyone and Rapace is mere stripling !

Chas.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I apologize for disappointing everyone and sharing my photos and experience. I will Begin Omission of many things and "Friends" on FB, thank you.

VOLT, Would you be willing to host lots of great pics I have, on your page?. PM me please.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
DC:
Joyeux Noël et bonne année. All the best brother.
I'll look ya up on facebook when things quiet down here.
Cheers
Steve

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I apologize for disappointing everyone and sharing my photos and experience. I will Begin Omission of many things and "Friends" on FB, thank you.

VOLT, Would you be willing to host lots of great pics I have, on your page?. PM me please.

Don't be pissed lad. it was good advice that was given! Just realise you and your mates are on the front line now not us! and must be aware at all times what you say and do! I don't even trust FB!! but that's just me. all the best!..mark.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I don't think that 666 has done any wrong with posting that pictures. That's my personal opinion and I'm ready to change it if someone explain to me in what way he threatens Legion and legionnaires with that pics. The only bad thing he did is if someone of his seniors see that and for some reason don't like pics.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't think that 666 has done any wrong with posting that pictures. That's my personal opinion and i'm ready to change it if someone explain to me in what way he threatens Legion and legionnaires with that pics. The only bad thing he did is if someone of his seniors see that and for some reason don't like pics.
If you don't get what Rapace, Chas and I said, you never will!!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I apologize for disappointing everyone and sharing my photos and experience. (...)
It's not a question of being disappointed or not, but only a gentle reminder that some topics are more sensitive than others and should be treated accordingly. For example, if the faces of soldiers that may be seen on TV reports are often blurred, there's a reason for it. Same thing for never mentioning their family name (e.g. Sergent Pierre Duval, will be referred to by the journalists as "Sergent Pierre"), etc. In the same vein by the way, if I were you, I'd rename my FB profile as "legionnaire Thomas", rather than mentioning your full Legion name. Exercise good judgement.

I don't think that 666 has done any wrong with posting that pictures. (...)
Your opinion on the matter, my dear, is strictly irrelevant. It's simply a matter of principles, like never pointing a fire arm to somebody, if you don't want to shoot him or never carrying one, with your finger on the trigger. Because one day, you may forget that the weapon is loaded and... guess what. If you regularly post pictures of military facilities and/or pictures that can help you get identified by the 'villains' as a serviceman, one day you may inadvertently post some valuable information... And then you're done.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
I don't think that 666 has done any wrong with posting that pictures. That's my personal opinion and I'm ready to change it if someone explain to me in what way he threatens Legion and legionnaires with that pics. The only bad thing he did is if someone of his seniors see that and for some reason don't like pics.

One must always remain vigilant.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We all wish DCLXVI well and have congratulated him. He has turned the corner and started a new life. His wish to share his success is perfectly natural exuberance.

Never the less the key word is DISCRETION at all times.

I know a little about putting the lives of others in jeopardy. Sadly I have witnessed indiscretion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
For anyone, be careful what you put on line. In one way it's like getting your first girlfriends name tattooed on your arm surrounded by a heart. It's there for all to see and 5 years later instead of being called Sylvie she's now called Samantha. You can get it changed to look like Chinese letters surrounded by a heart but you are not fooling anyone.

Worst of all are those people who will amount to someone later on. Take for example a politician who got her knockers out for the boys at 18 in say Pataya, years later she is presenting herself for elections in her district. Or blokes doing a moony during a stag night. "Do you want this bum to be your next Mayor?"

For the military and I do insist I am not referring to 666 here, if you do something that is against the rules there is always someone there to film it. That's why the US have so much trouble from Iraq- guys taking pictures. Another example is the RM who put the insurgent out of his misery.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Honestly, I am not upset. It is good advice and I will use more caution, makes sense, it really does. Thank you everyone.

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
One of the best features of the tenue d combat in my day was the detachable velcro name tags... Th

OPSEC AND COMSEC ... and what goes on Permission 48hrs, stays on Permission 48hrs.

I think, like many, I considered treble six as a no hope and told him to give up and do something else with his life...

And then I thought about all of the advice I had when I told people I was off to France to join the Legion way back in the previous millennium and they said I had no hope, and told me to give up and do something else with my life....

Did he listen? Did we?

We are proud of you.

You will **** up. Everyone does. It seems above that you are quick to learn from it. That bodes well.