a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exercice régimentaire

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Stfu, before the Mods close the thread
Le Petit Caporal
Who cares. Why would they close a thread? Because of joke (BTW I think is good one), no they usually close thread when more than one people have some appropriate discussion.
This time is only me. If I did something wrong. Hurt honor of FFL and GCP, they can punish me. No need for closing a thread.

Anyway, is "STFU" some Scottish slang for " Can you please change the subject"?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Who cares. Why would they close a thread? Because of joke (BTW I think is good one), no they usually close thread when more than one people have some appropriate discussion.
This time is only me. If I did something wrong. Hurt honor of FFL and GCP, they can punish me. No need for closing a thread.

Anyway, is "STFU" some Scottish slang for " Can you please change the subject"?
It means (Scottish till forever understood) I could be wrong but I think that’s what it means.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I’ve made a lot of money on my laptop as a matter of fact, but I drink my coffee black. Also I was a wrestler from grade school through high school but I wore my headgear, never got into the whole a real wrestler has cauliflower ear but I’m sure I would hip chuck you A$$ while sipping my latte. Giving you a hard time 😂, but don’t be blind there is a lot of money for you on the internet. Buy sell trade, look around and see what your friends need find a source get it cheap and sell it to them at a markup. Don’t fall prey to any get rich scheme just like manual labor it takes hard work and dedication.
lol i never wore headgear got my shooting side ear chewed up, lesson not learned cause i still never wear headgear

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Groupement des Commandos Parachutistes; Commando Parachute Group. They're the Pathfinder element in French Airborne units; roughly functionally analogous to, in descending order of similarity: American Pathfinders, LRSD's, LRRP's, and Force Recon. Some consider them to be Tier II SOF; on par wi

Groupement des Commandos Parachutistes; Commando Parachute Group. They're the Pathfinder element in French Airborne units; roughly functionally analogous to, in descending order of similarity: American Pathfinders, LRSD's, LRRP's, and Force Recon. Some consider them to be Tier II SOF; on par with our Rangers. BAMF's, to be sure.
Very similar to the RM Brigade Battle Patrol Group- (Troop.) Equivalent to the Brit Para Pathfinders and as multi skilled in every way. Even possibly more. In Afghanistan they regularly rotated duty with the Pathfinder Pln.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Big Boy,

One of my claims to fame is that I have also done the AACC. Actually for those who have been on here for while will know that instead of joining my commando regiment which was based at RM Condor in Arbroath, Scotland, I decided to go South instead to Paris, fort de Nogeant to be exact.
I don't know if Robert mention's it, as I haven't had time to watch the full video, but the AACC is not only limited to USMC but also the Dutch can send officers and NCOs.

For those who don't know what the All Arms Commando Course is about, in a nutshell, It is open to all British (and those from other commonwealth countries currently serving in the brit military - which was my case). It is usually designed for those with a trade which are not on the current RM curriculum. I was a chef, although the RM had no shortages of cooks. There were also Navy and air force most with trades, but not all.

In my day it was 3 seeks beat up followed by 6 weeks at Lympston, although I have had a PM from Chas who informed that they have effectively increased the amount of time that you take to get your green lid. I'd just come back from my third, four month tour of Norway, two with AMF and last one with 59 ind. Royal Engineers Commando. So when I turned up at FdeN, I was fit.

But enough amount me. I deleted you post showing the DINOPs on the IQ thread after having left a subtle hint that you should find an existing post or create one. Remember that search function is your fourth best friend on here. (i) Anciens of the forum, (ii) Greens, (iii) Mods, (iv) search function (not necessarily in that order nothing better to do cropped.png).
1611886524359.png

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe,

Great respect for your AACcse and Green Lid. It is far from easy. You are correct the course time has been increased.

A question for you on the final 30 miler on Dartmoor did you do it by sections or individually and did you self navigate ?

All YOs' have to self navigate and undertake the course in faster times than the men.

I don't know what year you completed your course but when I joined the Corps in 1956 there were several former WW2 Cdos still serving with others from Korea and Malaya. In Korea under command of the US, 41 Independent Commando RM made several raids behind enemy lines destroying railways, munitions depots and raiding outlying islands.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
Hi Big Boy,

One of my claims to fame is that I have also done the AACC. Actually for those who have been on here for while will know that instead of joining my commando regiment which was based at RM Condor in Arbroath, Scotland, I decided to go South instead to Paris, fort de Nogeant to be exact.
I don't know if Robert mention's it, as I haven't had time to watch the full video, but the AACC is not only limited to USMC but also the Dutch can send officers and NCOs.

For those who don't know what the All Arms Commando Course is about, in a nutshell, It is open to all British (and those from other commonwealth countries currently serving in the brit military - which was my case). It is usually designed for those with a trade which are not on the current RM curriculum. I was a chef, although the RM had no shortages of cooks. There were also Navy and air force most with trades, but not all.

In my day it was 3 seeks beat up followed by 6 weeks at Lympston, although I have had a PM from Chas who informed that they have effectively increased the amount of time that you take to get your green lid. I'd just come back from my third, four month tour of Norway, two with AMF and last one with 59 ind. Royal Engineers Commando. So when I turned up at FdeN, I was fit.

But enough amount me. I deleted you post showing the DINOPs on the IQ thread after having left a subtle hint that you should find an existing post or create one. Remember that search function is your fourth best friend on here. (i) Anciens of the forum, (ii) Greens, (iii) Mods, (iv) search function (not necessarily in that order View attachment 6691).
View attachment 6692
yeah ok fair one i will look or the other member will who was a us marine engineer. just posted the video out of interest for the few us marines on here. at the end of the day i think this is a FFL website so i do not understand why a member always writes about RM Green Berets and the 1950s it bears no imformation for any young lads going to the Legion. the odd comment is ok but he posts it non stop i think we have got the message already. should be modern information about the legion today or at least from say the 90s upwards. I have seen some good info though about joining.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe Cosgrave,

Further to my post the All Arms Commando Course is now 17 weeks which includes 4 weeks of actually getting physically fit. Hence in fact 13 for the course. Some regiments do their own beat up for for the 4 prior to sending their men to Commando Training Centre Royal Marines.

The AACcse course squad just prior to my RM one had Capt. B. E. Trainor, USMC, Lt. Charles Belzille, Canada Princess Pat's and Captain Fernandez US Rangers. I have photos of them just after they completed the 9 mile speed march and looking suitably knackered.

Trainor became Maj. Gen Spec Ops in Vietnam. and then went into business. Charles RIP became a Lt. Gen and head of all the Canadian Armed Forces. As for Fernandez I have no idea whatsoever.

Old history now !

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hi Big Boy,

But enough amount me. I deleted you post showing the DINOPs on the IQ thread after having left a subtle hint that you should find an existing post or create one. Remember that search function is your fourth best friend on here. (i) Anciens of the forum, (ii) Greens, (iii) Mods, (iv) search function (not necessarily in that order View attachment 6691).
View attachment 6692
Fishy, caught my ear, Drill Instructors, like recruiters, are on what is called a B-billet. A B-billet is where when you have a certain rank and time in service you are required to do a billet outside of your MOS. I was screened and selected to be a recruiter, some are selected to become Drill Instructors. Both B-billets are a minimum 3-year tour, not a 2-year tour.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe,

Great respect for your AACcse and Green Lid. It is far from easy. You are correct the course time has been increased.

A question for you on the final 30 miler on Dartmoor did you do it by sections or individually and did you self navigate ?

All YOs' have to self navigate and undertake the course in faster times than the men.

I don't know what year you completed your course but when I joined the Corps in 1956 there were several former WW2 Cdos still serving with others from Korea and Malaya. In Korea under command of the US, 41 Independent Commando RM made several raids behind enemy lines destroying railways, munitions depots and raiding outlying islands.
Hi Chas, the 30 miler (48.3 Kms) which had to be done in under 8 hours, yes people you read correctly, was done by group. The YO's were supposed to do it in under 7 hours, but the weather was particularly bad, even by Dartmoor conditions, so they were group leaders.
I believe that if we had to navigate on our own, I would have still made it, having done twice the 55 miler on the Ten Tors competition when I was at St Omer Barracks doing my apprentice chef's course.

I read a book recently called Small wars in far away places 1611965341400.png It had a chapter in it about the Malaysian conflict. A very interesting read, especially the lead up to the Suez fiasco (politician wise :oops: :whistle:).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
yeah ok fair one i will look or the other member will who was a us marine engineer. just posted the video out of interest for the few us marines on here. at the end of the day i think this is a FFL website so i do not understand why a member always writes about RM Green Berets and the 1950s it bears no imformation for any young lads going to the Legion. the odd comment is ok but he posts it non stop i think we have got the message already. should be modern information about the legion today or at least from say the 90s upwards. I have seen some good info though about joining.
I take it that that was a dig at Chas. Let me tell you that Chas is a very respected member of the forum. As is USMCRET, so wind your neck in.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
I take it that that was a dig at Chas. Let me tell you that Chas is a very respected member of the forum. As is USMCRET, so wind your neck in.

Joseph Cosgrove:

1: No names were mentioned so this is your assumptions. It was merly my observations. my opinions.
2: I do not have to respect anyone who insults me openly .
3: Respect is one thing but people also play on it.
4: What has 1950s commando training got to do with a modern FFL in 2021 ? I am sure there are old comrades forums out there for that.
5: If i get kicked off here, so be it but you will not get new members to participate in threads with this sort of cherry picking you are doing. I am refering to a comment you made about adding new members but no one participates. I wonder why?? just something to think about. My last comments on this.
Have a nice day Joseph.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
As some readers may know I have had many former FFL friends. Joe, Tonny Hannant, RIP. Serge and Jock. Others are current members of the forum. I have a very great respect for the FFL and have met some personally, wining and dining ! In Haslemere UK, Guildford UK and in Paris France.

RM were alongside them at the Operation Musketeer fiasco where we noted their professionalism and this instilled my initial interest.

Some may also know that I landed up elsewhere having been offered the opportunity of serving in the AAF which I declined. Since several RM joined the FFL and vice versa, hence I considered that as well but took another path.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Joseph Cosgrove:

1: No names were mentioned so this is your assumptions. It was merly my observations. my opinions.
4: What has 1950s commando training got to do with a modern FFL in 2021 ? I am sure there are old comrades forums out there for that.
5: If i get kicked off here, so be it but you will not get new members to participate in threads with this sort of cherry picking you are doing. I am refering to a comment you made about adding new members but no one participates. I wonder why?? just something to think about. My last comments on this.
Have a nice day Joseph.
You won't learn will you? Take another two days to cool yourself off.
sorry, I forgot to press the "post reply"

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joseph Cosgrove:

Have a nice day Joseph.
1612211136183.png

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hi Chas, the 30 miler (48.3 Kms) which had to be done in under 8 hours, yes people you read correctly, was done by group. The YO's were supposed to do it in under 7 hours, but the weather was particularly bad, even by Dartmoor conditions, so they were group leaders.
I believe that if we had to navigate on our own, I would have still made it, having done twice the 55 miler on the Ten Tors competition when I was at St Omer Barracks doing my apprentice chef's course.

I read a book recently called Small wars in far away places View attachment 6693 It had a chapter in it about the Malaysian conflict. A very interesting read, especially the lead up to the Suez fiasco (politician wise :oops: :whistle:).
We had to do what we called a MCRES hump (My Acronym may be off) But on a Friday it would be announced your battalion had to undergo a Command General's Inspection. A CGI was no joke because they broke it out in several ways, a certain number had to be chosen for close order drill, some for the Alpha's Inspection, our dress green uniform, not the Blues, a certain number had to run a PFT, and the really unfortunate ones had to complete a 20+ mile, so long ago now it escapes me but near a 26-miler. If you were chosen for the hump you had X amount of time to complete the hump. Every aspect of the CG Inspection was Pass or Fail and the Battalion would pass or fail. Major stress. In the old days you had time to prepare, they still picked the names for each event, but by the time I retired it was a Friday or week notice at most.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
We had to do what we called a MCRES hump (My Acronym may be off) But on a Friday it would be announced your battalion had to undergo a Command General's Inspection. A CGI was no joke because they broke it out in several ways, a certain number had to be chosen for close order drill, some for the Alpha's Inspection, our dress green uniform, not the Blues, a certain number had to run a PFT, and the really unfortunate ones had to complete a 20+ mile, so long ago now it escapes me but near a 26-miler. If you were chosen for the hump you had X amount of time to complete the hump. Every aspect of the CG Inspection was Pass or Fail and the Battalion would pass or fail. Major stress. In the old days you had time to prepare, they still picked the names for each event, but by the time I retired it was a Friday or week notice at most.
Oh man, I remember CGI. Not to make the thread off topic, but top was always so stressed out about the damn thing that they made everyone else's life hell. Especially since I was a boot at the time, I got a whole lot of "training" during that time.