a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exercice régimentaire

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Sexpert,
as you said it really does depend on the mission. Fluvial used to take up 3 weeks which is riding along the river between Surina,m or Brazil, mainly to resupply the Gendarmes and as an act of presence. The long marches are called ;profond' which means deep. These can take up to 30 days and you are completely autonomous. A real pain in the butt.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sexpert,
as you said it really does depend on the mission. Fluvial used to take up 3 weeks which is riding along the river between Surina,m or Brazil, mainly to resupply the Gendarmes and as an act of presence. The long marches are called ;profond' which means deep. These can take up to 30 days and you are completely autonomous. A real pain in the butt.
30 day patrols are a long haul

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
CA? What the f*ck is that?
We are the company that does heavy weapons ie machine guns, anti-tank missiles, and sniper teams.

(...) What's your specialty, Bill?
I'm a machine gunner. I was trying for the tireur d'élite (sniper) but I lost my spot due to my knee injury. I'll try it again next year I think. But right now I'm on “stage infirmary”. I'm going to be the major the stage I think 🤔 🤣

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Are the anti-tank missiles still MILAN? What's the sniper rifle and caliber. Machine guns, type and how many?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Are the anti-tank missiles still MILAN? What's the sniper rifle and caliber. Machine guns, type and how many?
I'm not to sure on the amount of specific tactical info I should be giving out on the internet. Some you have been there and if it was in the last ten years, I assume, it hasn't changed much, except maybe the replacement of the FAMAS by the HK.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Buffalo, with all the changes happening in the regiment, where is the company now. Are they still in blue sports shirts?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was a fut fut, went to 3REI and then the REP, it's up to you if you get respected or not.
Were you already fluent in French before you joined the Legion? Or what was your level of French when you joined the Legion.

I've heard many bad things shout how the fut fut caporals duck but I've also heard about guys who did it and had great careers. In my mind I think it's there for a reason and should be treated as a privileged.

On that, I wonder if there is ever a time where no one does fut fut or do always have someone. Are there more than one per group or section?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
La Légion doesn't teach you French. You have to take it upon yourself to learn it. I slacked off in this area, cause I'm a moron, and focused more on the combat side of things. Now I'm busting my hump to catch up. I have books and the internet.
Moral of the story. Learn some French before you come if you can.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Were you already fluent in French before you joined the Legion? Or what was your level of French when you joined the Legion.

I've heard many bad things shout how the fut fut caporals duck but I've also heard about guys who did it and had great careers. In my mind I think it's there for a reason and should be treated as a privileged.

On that, I wonder if there is ever a time where no one does fut fut or do always have someone. Are there more than one per group or section?
Tom, I could hardly string two words in French when I joined.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
In my time they taught us some French during instruction.
After thirty days we were not allowed using any other language but French during service hours.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We had basic lessons during training nothing to difficult like holding up objects and repeating the name and some other basic words, we soon found out that the Scandinavian guys were real good at picking up languages so we stuck close if they went left we turned left also, but I found it tough regardless but think we had lessons most weeks!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
We had basic lessons during training nothing to difficult like holding up objects and repeating the name and some other basic words, we soon found out that the Scandinavian guys were real good at picking up languages so we stuck close if they went left we turned left also, but I found it tough regardless but think we had lessons most weeks!
We also had French lessons. My chef de section was an Italian..?
When I was in the 5 RE General Picqumal sent out a note de service saying that all the MDRs had to have French lessons. So I was sittng in a classroom, Cch Kepi noir with bleu bites polacks learning the verb avoir until Major Falco heard about it. o_O o_O:ROFLMAO: