a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exercice régimentaire

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
La Légion doesn't teach you French. You have to take it upon yourself to learn it. I slacked off in this area, cause I'm a moron, and focused more on the combat side of things. Now I'm busting my hump to catch up. I have books and the internet.
Moral of the story. Learn some French before you come if you can.
That's a bit surprising. In almost all documentaries dedicated to the Legion (including the one you were in ;) ) we generally see a sequence of new recruits at the farm being given French courses. I understand that it's a very rudimentary type of language teaching, but there is some. Needless to say that to be proficient you need to work by yourself after the course in the classroom. If you want to make a career in the Legion, learn the language quick. That's also a criterion for the cadre to evaluate your motivation.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That's a bit surprising. In almost all documentaries dedicated to the Legion (including the one you were in ;) ) we generally see a sequence of new recruits at the farm being given French courses. I understand that it's a very rudimentary type of language teaching, but there is some. Needless to say that to be proficient you need to work by yourself after the course in the classroom. If you want to make a career in the Legion, learn the language quick. That's also a criterion for the cadre to evaluate your motivation.
Correction, they sit you down and teach you some conjunction at the farm. But it's hardly a French class. Being that I didn’t speak French and that the class is in French and you have very little sleep, I learned nothing.
Actually the past 2 weeks in the infirmary I've learned waaay more then I did at the farm. But really focus on just trying to think in French and talk in French it will help even though it's really hard to express yourself when you don't have a vocabulary.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I see what you mean. What about being paired with a native French speaker to learn the language? Is it still something in place and was it of any help?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I see what you mean. What about being paired with a native French speaker to learn the language? Is it still something in place and was it of any help?
If your groupe has native speakers then you can pick their brains. I'm not saying everyone did as badly on French as me but the anglophones were definitely the slowest to learn it.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Ok. Well... Now you know what your priority is, if you want to make a career in the Legion. Learn the f*cking language... Not that hard. Think about your Asian, Russian or Arab camarades who don’t even use the same alphabet. Good luck anyway.

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
I came in 5th cause I don't speak French. But the REP needs guys always so you will get in no matter what. 3rei is the hard one to get to.
I just got done doing fts which is your training here to go to your unit and we got trained by the Gcp. These guys are amazing they really stepped up to make sure that we knew our stuff. To be in the gcp you have to be 2 years of service in and generally a corporal. There is a 30k 11kg run you need to pass them a bunch of knowledge tests just to get selected. There a selection every year. It's not an easy thing to do. Oh you have to be under 34 years old, so I can't go.
Thanks for the Info sir, been looking for the age limit of GCP everywhere. And also it was really inspiring to see you achieve your goals sir in that documentary

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the Info sir, been looking for the age limit of GCP everywhere. And also it was really inspiring to see you achieve your goals sir in that documentary
Although everyone wants to join the REP and then go on to GCP, I'd advice you to concentrate on getting in. No need to bother the recruiters with how much you want to get to the REP, they've heard it all before. Your biggest worry will be to convince them that you are going to stay long enough to get to a regiment.
No point in trying to convince me on the forum (I'm already convinced that you'll make it:).) And besides, once you are accepted, they (the recruiters) have nothing more to say about which regiment you will end up in.
What I would advise you is, if you are asked which regiment you would like to go to, then yes, you can say the REP, and in the same breath add, that you will be willing to take any regiment that is available as long as you get in.

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Although everyone wants to join the REP and then go on to GCP, I'd advice you to concentrate on getting in. No need to bother the recruiters with how much you want to get to the REP, they've heard it all before. Your biggest worry will be to convince them that you are going to stay long enough to get to a regiment.
No point in trying to convince me on the forum (I'm already convinced that you'll make it:).) And besides, once you are accepted, they (the recruiters) have nothing more to say about which regiment you will end up in.
What I would advise you is, if you are asked which regiment you would like to go to, then yes, you can say the REP, and in the same breath add, that you will be willing to take any regiment that is available as long as you get in.
yes sir

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
yes sir, well i just like to have a goal in mind to strive for

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
When my mate joined REP, out of their FTS group of around 25 guys, 8 got lost their TAP. Broken ankles and hips, and general oofs. So there is also that, also GCP is extremely selective and small, the chance of getting in is very scarce and you are probably only looking at getting in a decent whack into your contract or signing on again.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When my mate joined REP, out of their FTS group of around 25 guys, 8 got lost their TAP. Broken ankles and hips, and general oofs. So there is also that, also GCP is extremely selective and small, the chance of getting in is very scarce and you are probably only looking at getting in a decent whack into your contract or signing on again.
What is GCP?

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What is GCP?

Groupement des Commandos Parachutistes; Commando Parachute Group. They're the Pathfinder element in French Airborne units; roughly functionally analogous to, in descending order of similarity: American Pathfinders, LRSD's, LRRP's, and Force Recon. Some consider them to be Tier II SOF; on par with our Rangers. BAMF's, to be sure.

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
I
I thought I'd given you a goal: concentrate on getting in. In order to do that, you must pass the physical tests, learn some French and keep a low profile in Aubagne,
I'll be happy just to get in, and whatever regiment they put me in sir, as long as I do grunt-ish work im a happy man

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
2-3 years from now mate, im physically ready, just need time to save money
Well good luck, I’m not sure how familiar you are with go fund me but I’ve heard of people using it to get out of bad situations. Write up a good story let people know you are trying to better your situation who knows 2-3 years might turn into 2-3 months.