a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast question concerning college degree

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Hello guys, some legionnaires have told me to hide the fact that I am a college graduate when I apply (hopefully in a maximum of 12 months) There is a little problem. I graduated high school 2013 and my passport issue date is 2016 and it is written in the passport that I am a student. Apparently, they will figure it out, no? That's one problem. The other one is that as an Egyptian it is against the law to leave the country without finalizing my situation with conscription. Now if I submit my conscription service/ medical waiver in both cases my qualification will be written in the document it will be as follows XXXXX who is a graduate of the faculty of arts have finished conscription. What do I do? Shall I not bring my conscription document? Wouldn't that put me in trouble in the legion? I can leave the country legally without having the document that's not a problem. Also, if I leave the document behind still a 2016 passport issued to me as a student who supposedly graduated from high school in 2013 will automatically tell them I am lying. Can't I use my college degree to my advantage? Like, I want to pursue a long fruitful career in the legion and I want to become an officer one day that's why I have a college degree. That is true by the way, I didn't try to leave Egypt until I get my college degree because I know one needs that to become an officer later after the first contract. Or they won't see it that way? Shall I just lie and say that I dropped out of college in the last year and not bring my conscription document? Would they terminate my contract if they figured out later that I lied? I am quite sure that in any scenario in the interview I'll be forced to eventually say that I am a college graduate. I am a little lost about that.
As always, thanks for reading in advance and any info will be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Only a moron would hide the fact that he has a degree or degrees. I have two. One in Exercise Science and my AA in Biology. Being scholastically and collegiately educated can only help you. It is a fact that boat loads of maniacs and braindead school drop outs make it past selection, for more reasons than 10... However, this doesn't insure particular specialties in the Legion and an education will be permanently in your file and that alone will dictate your future and what course and direction you will go.
Be an idiot if you like and hide the fact that you may be mildly intelligent or do not be ashamed of all you have accomplished and tell them in confidence of your accomplishments. I ordered my transcripts and had certified copied of my two degrees and had them notarized and brought them, they helped in everyway. So whoever told you, if they did, to hide the fact that you have a brain, is a nit wit to begin with.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Art student ?
It's not because i shit on the parade square and smiled. .dosen't mean it's not art. ..it's baroque

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hello guys, some legionnaires have told me to hide the fact that I am a college graduate when I apply (...)
Well... Over time this story of hiding your degrees, if you have ones, has become on the board like a ‘urban legend’. The rationale behind that is the more education you have, the more options on civvy street and the higher the risk of your deserting.
Although the reasoning might have some logic, in my view this is pure speculation. Sure that if you’ve got a PhD in quantum physics from the MIT, or an MBA from Stanford University, the recruiters will wonder why you want to join the Legion (or any other armed force for that matter), but otherwise having some education is probably more an asset than a liability. And by the way, the Legion is always interested in language skills.
To be very honest, in your case, the biggest hinderance is to be an Arab. The Legion is taking strong measures to avoid any possible infiltration by Daesh sympathisers. Let’s not forget that one of the Daesh killers who was seen on some videos executing hostages was a French citizen of Arabic descent and a former (decorated) legionnaire of 2e REI.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Yeah, I know what you mean but i am not exactly the average Muslim psycho, You know the first thing I tried when I went to France last time was pork meat :ROFLMAO: I quit this sick religion on november 2015 I still remember the day. I dunno what I am now but i do believe in God just not any sort of religion

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Keegan, the Legion has always taken Arabs, Algerians, Tunisians, Morrocans and even Egyptians. And so have the rest of the armed forces, police and gendarmerie included !
Sure, in the current context, caution is necessary, but you stand your chance, maybe more so than others.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
After the first 15, all beers taste alike, whatever the brand, whatever the temperature... True story.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Oh... I trust you on this. Never drink or drank 15 beers, so I’m a bit picky re quality...
Hahah. Pussy. :)

And no, little caporal is not right! Crappy brand of beer after 15 others still taste ... crappy :). It's just you don't giving F anymore about it. ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Keegan, the Legion has always taken Arabs, Algerians, Tunisians, Morrocans and even Egyptians. And so have the rest of the armed forces, police and gendarmerie included !
Sure, in the current context, caution is necessary, but you stand your chance, maybe more so than others.
Would learning diving help? I live by the sea and there are so many training centres that offer diving training certified by famous European diving schools at a price quite affordable

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Only a moron would hide the fact that he has a degree or degrees. I have two. One in Exercise Science and my AA in Biology. Being scholastically and collegiately educated can only help you. It is a fact that boat loads of maniacs and braindead school drop outs make it past selection, for more reasons than 10... However, this doesn't insure particular specialties in the Legion and an education will be permanently in your file and that alone will dictate your future and what course and direction you will go.
Be an idiot if you like and hide the fact that you may be mildly intelligent or do not be ashamed of all you have accomplished and tell them in confidence of your accomplishments. I ordered my transcripts and had certified copied of my two degrees and had them notarized and brought them, they helped in everyway. So whoever told you, if they did, to hide the fact that you have a brain, is a nit wit to begin with.

This is helpful to me as well. Thanks.