Feel like I am not fit enough. Please help

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Slovenia
Its a good advice some will have to learn it hard way, though lousic didn't chocolate make you thirsty ? I tried it once on a march and it just made the whole situation worse, I prefer apple its sweet and has juice.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Its a good advice some will have to learn it hard way, though lousic didn't chocolate make you thirsty ? I tried it once on a march and it just made the whole situation worse, I prefer apple its sweet and has juice.
Chocolate has the effect of being a substance to constipation, not always, Sweets and juices makes your thirstier my boy, i can understand the "refreshing" sensation it may have, but they seems to do the opposite effect on the bowels.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Rip the monkey off your back and make room for jesus Christ:) pffft...

OP
B
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Taiwan
hi all ! I am here to update my fitness progress .

I am now able to make 3700 metres in one go and after 5 minutes of rest I am able to follow up with 3700 metres more and finished off the last hundred metre with a final sprint , all in all took me about more or less than an hour depending on how fit i feel that day . I do this regularly 3 days a week as i don't recover fast enough to run an extra day . but instead of taking a day off i made some skipping rop
e excercise for 15minutes .

i climbed the stairs with rucsack instead of hills but after two hours i was too exhausted to continue further training . i pack 15kg on my backpack .

well i hope i am not too far away from the fitness requirement .

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
you need to get out on the hills with the back pack as per the training regime.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
5 minutes rest? Never go ballistic in the begining of a run, find your cruising speed and once you are all warm and breathing matches your paces, you can, toward the end accelerate.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just do some exercise especially after the festive season.

Chas a one time 'yomper' who can now be amused by every one else's efforts while dozing off.

Happy new year to you all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Taiwan
My training during the last two weeks .....

I made 3 runs last week and each time I jogged 7000 m in about an hours time. During the last running day ( Thursday ) I tested myself on the track and I was able to make 8000 metres in 45 minutes ( since I timed my run with a basic mobile phone I can't really keep track of the seconds precisely but I ran that 8km in 45 mins time to the best of my ability ! )

all other training stays the same
5x 20 push ups
3x 10 chin-ups
50-100 sits ups a day ( I tried to do them daily )

Rucsack walking the same except that I found a new " hill " which is actually a concrete drive way that's about 30 degree incline that stretched about 150 meters long ( my country is over-populated and over-industrialized ) surrounded by trees and bushes I walked up and down continously but instead of 4 hours I can only managed 2 hours to the best of my effort .) Weight stays the same 15 kg on my back , I intend to increase it a little more once I gain more strength. Sometimes I jogged my way down and do a sprint uphills with the backpack well I used up my energy faster then. Other things I did was that whenever I am out I carried my backpack everywhere even catching a bus , I do this to get myself accustomed to carrying weight on my back all the time.

This week .... I wasn't able to run as far and fast ( for example , today i did 2.5km in the morning and another 3.5 km in the afternoon.So was a little disappointed. I want to be able to make the same 8km trip in 45 minutes in all of my regular run every time ! Like I will be running with ease and make more progress before I booked a flight . I know it may not sounds like a good idea , but I want to attain that decent level of fitness as soon as possible.

I feel I am getting fitter than before yet still falling far behind .
Sorry I am just getting a bit worried, all I want is to leave here as soon as I can .

I've got everything ready now just my fitness needs to go up

LegionarHR

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
I was following this thread, i think that you are fit, dont bother yourself with counting how many km you can run and stuff like that, just run like maniac and when you feel good about yourself then go in legion, i wish you good luck :)

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I love this thread. I have so many things to say as I am graduating this spring with my degree in Applied Science as a personal trainer, but all you rambos know whats up, so I am offering no advice unless you are absolutely serious. hell I even mad hitsuji routines, haven't heard from him so he screwed it off I would imagine...better luck wasting someone elses time, YOURS.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
My training during the last two weeks .....

I made 3 runs last week and each time I jogged 7000 m in about an hours time. During the last running day ( Thursday ) I tested myself on the track and I was able to make 8000 metres in 45 minutes ( since I timed my run with a basic mobile phone I can't really keep track of the seconds precisely but I ran that 8km in 45 mins time to the best of my ability ! )

all other training stays the same
5x 20 push ups
3x 10 chin-ups
50-100 sits ups a day ( I tried to do them daily )

Rucsack walking the same except that I found a new " hill " which is actually a concrete drive way that's about 30 degree incline that stretched about 150 meters long ( my country is over-populated and over-industrialized ) surrounded by trees and bushes I walked up and down continously but instead of 4 hours I can only managed 2 hours to the best of my effort .) Weight stays the same 15 kg on my back , I intend to increase it a little more once I gain more strength. Sometimes I jogged my way down and do a sprint uphills with the backpack well I used up my energy faster then. Other things I did was that whenever I am out I carried my backpack everywhere even catching a bus , I do this to get myself accustomed to carrying weight on my back all the time.

This week .... I wasn't able to run as far and fast ( for example , today i did 2.5km in the morning and another 3.5 km in the afternoon.So was a little disappointed. I want to be able to make the same 8km trip in 45 minutes in all of my regular run every time ! Like I will be running with ease and make more progress before I booked a flight . I know it may not sounds like a good idea , but I want to attain that decent level of fitness as soon as possible.

I feel I am getting fitter than before yet still falling far behind .
Sorry I am just getting a bit worried, all I want is to leave here as soon as I can .

I've got everything ready now just my fitness needs to go up
You are doing well. Now just harden yourself mentally. There will be a lot of screaming in training! stay away from the booze / and the losers! Good luck.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yes, pretty straight forward. I am learning a few things in my interpersonal communications class and I think that it can help, should you want it too and should you allow it too. What I am and have been learning is that we have two types of friends, both are friends but have two definite places. We have FRIENDS and we have ACCOMPLICES. Both ARE friends. Friend(s) from Friend pile one are the ones who will support, care and propel you positively. Friend(s) from Friend pile 2 are FRIENDS who (Accomplices) are your friends who will get you into trouble, while posing as the friend. Best of luck and Seek your friends to help you and not your accomplices.

OP
B
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Taiwan
Flight booked on the 25th of March !

I am very happy to say that I now gained some confidence before I headed off to Aubagne .
Running has now becoming easier with increasing fitness and stronger calf muscle ,still trying to improve and I am now able to actually took off running at least one third of my jogging pace which means I am currently doing a several times of switching between jogging easily and running with some speed . I finished every run with a final sprint.

I haven't timed any of my runs more recently as the only thing I did was to concentrate more and more on speeding up my usual jogging pace per same/greater distance and add various quicker runs in between .

I hope that things will work out and that I have nothing to lose ,sorted out everything at home and managed to convince my mum that this is the only thing I can do to change my life and gives me a better future. This country where I live doesn't give me a chance. Thing is, unless born into a wealthy family in my country, life is not doing one any favor. Getting qualifications is costly let alone getting a decent job together with relevant experiences. I have no problem with it , but knowing that you'll be doing, for example, mixing cement all your life and learn nothing new til your 40 then gets fired with nothing left ended up desperate on the street is another thing .I certainly won't go down that path. There's no future , no security ,no unemployment-benefits to fall back on and the list goes on ...... situations works only for the rich and high social class who passed on their wealth and status to their kids and grand-kids sucking up more wealth buying off properties , the desperate horde only gets more desperate and there's no way out despite any amount of hard work, I can only expect to barely surviving in here. had I been able to climb up the ladder doing the petty job and improve my life year after year then I wouldn't mind . But that's not how it works here.

I am ready to take everything that will be thrown at me at Aubagne. As far as French language is concerned, I've invested much of my time learning French bought audio courses and make use of French radio on internet to learn the language. I traveled with some French nomads in their caravans while I stayed in Australia and that helped me a bit in developing the necessary elements when learning French. Five more weeks to go I am going to push it harder. Will miss my mum , she is the only person I care. Sad to leave my mum as there's no one else to look after her.

Lastly, this is probably the worst/hardest decision I ever had to made. There are times I doubt my decision if it's the right thing to do. If I had other options? I am also afraid that if I am only throwing myself into a worse situation? If I can never see my mum again? Inside of me there's so much fear boiling. I don't know, if, faced with hardship in the Legion will I still be able to think Legion is a better thing? Everything is so hard in life and the thought of leaving my mum behind is agonizing.

Maybe I am just worrying too much as it is still unknown whether or not I will pass the selection .... With all that's being said, I can only hope for the better.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Best answers
Home Country
San Marino
You sound like you are doing well. Have you been improving pushups and pullups too? Despite not timing yourself you will probably do well enough on the test if you have been consistent and pushing yourself.

Try not to worry about the unknowns in life and the Legion, you will undoubtedly be able to see your mom again so relax. :) You can travel after a certain amount of time in the Legion and RSM paperwork which you can read up about on other threads, though I think it's not worth thinking about as you are not even in the Legion yet. Your focus should be on staying mentally positive and realizing that what you see in selection or even basic training is not the Legion but the waiting room to the legion and so keep in mind that the real legion and legion lifestyle is what you will find in the regiment.

It will all be hard but my point is to not be discouraged along the way. We see so many guys drop out in selection or training before they really experienced anything of the real legion. Of course it will be hard but there are opportunities. Anything worth doing is difficult. All worthwhile rewards bring great risk.

So focus on the new opportunities to grow and test yourself and join something that will give you the opportunity to learn new skills, and a job with career potential. Though not everyone is cut out for the legion, the only way to know is to go and give it a shot. Your mom will be okay, you will see her again. Focus on yourself, if your mind is back at home you will fail and ask to go home or desert and then regret it. Pride in yourself and the pride you will see on your mom's face down the road will come by finishing whatever task you set out for yourself.

Now stop over thinking, stop worrying and stop second guessing yourself and go to it!

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Taiwan
View attachment 5045View attachment 5046

running in the woods

Monday 434 m x 20
Tuesday 434 m x 24

Thursday 434 m x 20 ( Always finished with final sprint near top speed at the last lap ,i tried to go all the way but hasn't been able to do that )

Friday 434 m x 10 ( half jogging / half sprinting near top speed )
Saturday 434 m x 10 easy run
Stride rate is about 2:30 to 3 mintues/lap in my usual jogging pace , the interval training i did during the weekend i struggled a bit to keep up after each sprinting .. I was almost at walking speed in recovering jogging ... :p

Daily strength training

100 - 125 push ups
30 - 40 pull ups
75 - 100 sits-ups

Same 15 kg pack march up and down hill ( can't put more weight as i had already wrecked a few back pack. Found one back-pack built for the army but only with 40lb of maximum load bearing capacity .....

Only two and a half weeks left . Hope there's even a bit more room for improving my fitness. Haven't been able to sleep well recently but that hasn't stopped me from training .I think people on this board have already told me everything I needed to know so this is purely an update but would still appreciate if there's some more tips about taking my fitness into a better level in two weeks time. Otherwise I 'll just keep practicing til I left. I am running out of breathe sometimes , maybe this is normal ?

PS I add one or two more running sessions at the end of the week because I am hoping to gain more speed endurance by training the intervals at a lesser distance. I read this somewhere on the fitness articles not sure if that helps but I tried it anyway .

PS Two weeks is a lots of pressures to try to achieve another level. Timed my run today and managed 2600 metres in less than 12 minutes.

Löken

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Dont change with that short time. Only focus now and it will be good.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Nations
Gonna agree with Löken...do not make any drastic changes right now.

Haven't been too many Taiwanese guys in the Legion. Make sure you emphasize the difference between Taiwan and China...not everybody understands or knows the history.

Check your inbox.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
View attachment 5045View attachment 5046

running in the woods

Monday 434 m x 20
Tuesday 434 m x 24

Thursday 434 m x 20 ( Always finished with final sprint near top speed at the last lap ,i tried to go all the way but hasn't been able to do that )

Friday 434 m x 10 ( half jogging / half sprinting near top speed )
Saturday 434 m x 10 easy run
Stride rate is about 2:30 to 3 mintues/lap in my usual jogging pace , the interval training i did during the weekend i struggled a bit to keep up after each sprinting .. I was almost at walking speed in recovering jogging ... :p

Daily strength training

100 - 125 push ups
30 - 40 pull ups
75 - 100 sits-ups

Same 15 kg pack march up and down hill ( can't put more weight as i had already wrecked a few back pack. Found one back-pack built for the army but only with 40lb of maximum load bearing capacity .....

Only two and a half weeks left . Hope there's even a bit more room for improving my fitness. Haven't been able to sleep well recently but that hasn't stopped me from training .I think people on this board have already told me everything I needed to know so this is purely an update but would still appreciate if there's some more tips about taking my fitness into a better level in two weeks time. Otherwise I 'll just keep practicing til I left. I am running out of breathe sometimes , maybe this is normal ?

PS I add one or two more running sessions at the end of the week because I am hoping to gain more speed endurance by training the intervals at a lesser distance. I read this somewhere on the fitness articles not sure if that helps but I tried it anyway .

PS Two weeks is a lots of pressures to try to achieve another level. Timed my run today and managed 2600 metres in less than 12 minutes.
Careful 2600m in 12 mins is not good. For those who remember the cooper, it was the minimum for a Cch 10 years of service

Most viewed threads of the week