a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feel like I am not fit enough. Please help

Reaction score
Home Country
Taiwan
Hi all, i have been a regular visitor to this website and am myself a wannabe. Just hope you guys wouldn't mind i can ask a few questions about my fitness level :

I have spent a couple of weeks preparing myself physically, following Stoeng’s training program and is now on my second month of training.

Do the recommended pull ups 30 and now 75 push ups before going to bed. all seems to be easy for me and the 50sits ups between the runs as well.

However, my running don't come as easily as i thought it should.

I marked out a 300 metres long trail in which i do my regular run. I run about 14 - 20 lapses which counts for 4200 metres minimum in 40minutes then i did my 50 sit ups then i proceed to do another 14- 16 lapses sometimes 20 in 45 minutes time .... in a day i totalled the running distance between 8.2km to 12 km.

Now i have found it really difficult to complete my runs all in one go. I have to stop and catch a breath accompanied with a short walk before i hit another 300metres running ( the short walks i did are outside my running zone, right at the end of the 300 metres trail just so that I make sure i do the running properly and complete the 300m and do at least 8 km at the end of the day within one and a half hours )

One thing though, i do my running in the afternoon say at 5:00 pm, because that's when I have the most free time to do my training.hope it does not matter too much.

Also, i used 9 kg ( the best i can organize ) to do the walking, not always during the weekend but rather unregular because i don't recover fast enough but i do tried to jog /walk with 9kg backpack to compensate the lack of sturdy bag and insufficient weights.still stick to that 4hours walking.

My question is how am I doing physically? Am i up to scratch or still a long way away? Mentally i am sure the Legion is where i need to go and i have been working hard over the last few years to get enough money for a flight to France.

I hope you can throw me some useful advice. I hope i am doing ok and if i m near the fitness requirements of the Legion please let me know as it will boost my morale greatly. :)

Ps i am 5'9 tall, 31 inseam legs, i know my legs are short but hopefully it won't give me problem on running, weigh 67-68 kg. Got decent arm strength, perhaps short legs are my disadvantage? I don't have enough muscles on my legs or what? Or am i doing fine?

Pps i am worrying about the cooper test, if i have to run 2600m in 12min i really don't know how i am going to make it. I did a test myself and i failed miserably.but i kept trying and i never stop running.

Thanks

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
You should have gone for long runs, not repeating 300 meters, you sux because you are now getting used to doing the same surface. No up or downs just flat, no endurance. So get yourself to go for runs in the street or wherever you live and can. Up stairs and hill sides can do.

SEIRAN

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Running in bursts like that won't really build your endurance, which is what you need. To put it in perspective, a good 10km run is usually considered to be 50 minutes or less, and you're doing 8km in an hour and a half. Run as much as you can without stopping, then try to run longer during the next session. Don't try running for speed at the start, just run until you can't run anymore. Once you get into it and know that you can run a certain distance, try to run it faster than before. It's the same with anything - the more you do it, the better you'll get. Train as you would for the real thing. There isn't a single test in any army I'm aware of where candidates are required to jog 300m, walk around a bit, then jog 300m again, etc.

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Be careful. Ice down your shins. Take lots of rest. No more than 2 days a week to start long runs or youll get injured and **** it up

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
H
Pps i am worrying about the cooper test, if i have to run 2600m in 12min i really don't know how i am going to make it. I did a test myself and i failed miserably.but i kept trying and i never stop running.

Thanks

Cooper test has been replaced with the beep test (luc leger) practice that.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Exactly be patient and train slowly don't rush it, for running to long runs without stopping slow down if you can't continue the pace until you rest a little, learn how to breath properly, and 4.2 km in 40 minutes I can walk that fast its very slow. As for walking 9 kg is fine for beginning keep at it until you are fitter, and if sittups and push ups etc are too easy increase the number a little until its an effort.

But if you can join an boxing gym, karate club, judo club or football if you train with other people you will see how fit you are.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Get out in the hills with a pack on your back and go for a long long walk as far as you can . Wearing I might add a good pair of boots that fit and some old clothes. Till your sweating like a pig,
build your stamina and endurance, If you make the Legion you will be doing lots of this,

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Hi all, i have been a regular visitor to this website and am myself a wannabe. Just hope you guys wouldn't mind i can ask a few questions about my fitness level :

I have spent a couple of weeks preparing myself physically, following Stoeng’s training program and is now on my second month of training.

Do the recommended pull ups 30 and now 75 push ups before going to bed. all seems to be easy for me and the 50sits ups between the runs as well.

However, my running don't come as easily as i thought it should.

I marked out a 300 metres long trail in which i do my regular run. I run about 14 - 20 lapses which counts for 4200 metres minimum in 40minutes then i did my 50 sit ups then i proceed to do another 14- 16 lapses sometimes 20 in 45 minutes time .... in a day i totalled the running distance between 8.2km to 12 km.

Now i have found it really difficult to complete my runs all in one go. I have to stop and catch a breath accompanied with a short walk before i hit another 300metres running ( the short walks i did are outside my running zone, right at the end of the 300 metres trail just so that I make sure i do the running properly and complete the 300m and do at least 8 km at the end of the day within one and a half hours )

One thing though, i do my running in the afternoon say at 5:00 pm, because that's when I have the most free time to do my training.hope it does not matter too much.

Also, i used 9 kg ( the best i can organize ) to do the walking, not always during the weekend but rather unregular because i don't recover fast enough but i do tried to jog /walk with 9kg backpack to compensate the lack of sturdy bag and insufficient weights.still stick to that 4hours walking.

My question is how am I doing physically? Am i up to scratch or still a long way away? Mentally i am sure the Legion is where i need to go and i have been working hard over the last few years to get enough money for a flight to France.

I hope you can throw me some useful advice. I hope i am doing ok and if i m near the fitness requirements of the Legion please let me know as it will boost my morale greatly. :)

Ps i am 5'9 tall, 31 inseam legs, i know my legs are short but hopefully it won't give me problem on running, weigh 67-68 kg. Got decent arm strength, perhaps short legs are my disadvantage? I don't have enough muscles on my legs or what? Or am i doing fine?

Thanks

2600m isn't too bad, shows potential.
Your BMI says you are of a healthy weight, but I'm dubious of that chart.

Basically, if you want to improve, you need to try something different. Your body has become complacent with your current program. Try running continually at a slow pace (slow pace means you could chat to a mate all run if you fancied) once a week. Get some mileage into your wheels.

If you want some free personal training advice, PM me. It should help and it will help me out too (gives me practise of writing training programs) also means we're not cluttering the thread and pissing off any Legionnaires.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
You are pissing me offski! Joking. What i fail to understand, the guy lives on the Westcoast of Taiwan and have a 13 000 feet (3000and some meters) mountain east of his town. And works on a 300 meters track... Ok if he can't make it out of the town due to work during the week, week ends? Online war games?

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I will never again offer solutions or advice. Tough luck. I know all the other rambos will have an answer for you, my crystal ball remains unclear..

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
Get out in the hills with a pack on your back and go for a long long walk as far as you can . Wearing I might add a good pair of boots that fit and some old clothes. Till your sweating like a pig,
build your stamina and endurance, If you make the Legion you will be doing lots of this,

Martin,forget chewing raw seaweed,standing on your head with a lightbulb in ones mouth or sleeping on broken glass in the nude...hit those hills young man (with sac a dos of course)

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Martin,forget chewing raw seaweed,standing on your head with a lightbulb in ones mouth or sleeping on broken glass in the nude...hit those hills young man (with sac a dos of course)

So thats where im going wrong. I was following Mon Lieutenant into the hills with crys of en avant allez

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I will never again offer solutions or advice. Tough luck. I know all the other rambos will have an answer for you, my crystal ball remains unclear..

why not? you are the most qualified out of us all to offer advice in this subject mate

Reaction score
Home Country
Taiwan

Thanks a lot for the advise

Reaction score
Home Country
Taiwan
Exactly be patient and train slowly don't rush it, for running to long runs without stopping slow down if you can't continue the pace until you rest a little, learn how to breath properly, and 4.2 km in 40 minutes I can walk that fast its very slow. As for walking 9 kg is fine for beginning keep at it until you are fitter, and if sittups and push ups etc are too easy increase the number a little until its an effort.

But if you can join an boxing gym, karate club, judo club or football if you train with other people you will see how fit you are.

Thanks I know what i've done wrong , I am rushing it that's true . And I have never been a runner my all life , probably because I've been working in basic manual works I find it easier to cope with upper body strangth training .

Reaction score
Home Country
Taiwan
Running in bursts like that won't really build your endurance, which is what you need. To put it in perspective, a good 10km run is usually considered to be 50 minutes or less, and you're doing 8km in an hour and a half. Run as much as you can without stopping, then try to run longer during the next session. Don't try running for speed at the start, just run until you can't run anymore. Once you get into it and know that you can run a certain distance, try to run it faster than before. It's the same with anything - the more you do it, the better you'll get. Train as you would for the real thing. There isn't a single test in any army I'm aware of where candidates are required to jog 300m, walk around a bit, then jog 300m again, etc.

I have never been a runner all my life . So starting with a 300 m distance was the best I can do at a time as I wasn't even able to go beyond 300m in one go . The idea is to gradually increase my running capability . I am starting to pick up the pace and am able to run 1700 m without stopping .... so i've noticed I am becoming a better runner . Still my question remains simple , how and how long before I will be able to hit that " 10 km good run within 50 min " ?

I've tried that preparation program for 2 month , My upper body strength and core is doing well , I mean I can do the prescribed 30- 40 pull ups , 50 sit ups and 100 push ups
but still can't run at a satisfying distance and speed .

Thanks all for all ur kind replies :)

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Three words after this sentence I am writing and they are all you need to succeed:
MIND, BODY, CONNECTION.

twitch

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My advice is almost always wrong, but: as you said your upper body and core is good to go. For your legs and your lungs it really will help if you do them at elevation. The extra resistance is good for the leg muscles and the thinner air will condition your lungs to be able to perform with less oxygen. Then when you get to France and are made to run, your lungs will feel like they have more oxygen than they even need, and your legs, used to steep grades, will have a lot more spring in them. Again though, by all means ignore this advice if you thing I'm sabotaging your goals.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Well run 5-10 times a day those 500-1000 m, for example you run one tour end then rest perhaps walk until you feel good and do it again, and perhaps one more time, and later in the day do one more running circle. Or something similar no one say's you have to run all your km in one go, run several times a day if you can only run 500 m you can run that 5 times in one training circle. Important part is that you become comfortable with running not the distance, as for how long will it take its impossible to tell, everyone is different but there is a saying Rome wasn't built in one day, but they weren't exactly sitting on their buts doing nothing either.

Three words after this sentence I am writing and they are all you need to succeed:
MIND, BODY, CONNECTION.

Internet is the most important one out of them :D

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I have never been a runner all my life . So starting with a 300 m distance was the best I can do at a time as I wasn't even able to go beyond 300m in one go . The idea is to gradually increase my running capability . I am starting to pick up the pace and am able to run 1700 m without stopping .... so i've noticed I am becoming a better runner . Still my question remains simple , how and how long before I will be able to hit that " 10 km good run within 50 min " ?

I've tried that preparation program for 2 month , My upper body strength and core is doing well , I mean I can do the prescribed 30- 40 pull ups , 50 sit ups and 100 push ups
but still can't run at a satisfying distance and speed .

Thanks all for all ur kind replies :)

"... how long before..." No one says you have to be able to do 10 kms in 50 minutes, if you can manage 3.2 kms in 12 minutes, you will be reasonable fit to manage 8 Kms inunder an hour. So keep on working on your running, chose a circuit that includes uphills of all heights, remember, going uphill, keep your cruising speed (and breathe, even if you are going to sound like a steam train) and downhill, you recuperate the maximum of the effort(s) you gave in going uphill.