a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeling this out

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have been lurking on the forum board for a little bit and I have learned so much from all of the posts. First, I must thank all of the active members for providing an enormous amount of knowledge to people like me.

I served in the U.S. Marines for 8 years and decided to get out to pursue a degree. I loved my time in the military but the first few years I did have a few rough spots while I was still trying to adjust to military life. I am currently a nursing school student and while it may be tough at time, I do enjoy it. I have two more years left until I graduate and have been thinking about going for a master's degree after finishing my four years of study. I have been thinking about reentering the U.S. military but it is rather difficult to reenter once you have left once and I started looking up some information about the French Foreign Legion.

I have seen so much information about the Legion lifestyle, some about jobs, but I really have never heard anything about the health care side of the Legion. I do not want to turn my introduction post into a question, but if anyone has any information about this it would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize for the rather short introduction but I don't feel like boring anyone with my life story. Thank you for reading my post and I hope you have a nice day.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi Rusty Dust. Welcome!
I think once you are in Legion would take care about your health. You will go to Legion doctors for smaller stuff and if you have to go to civil hospital that's covered with your insurance. Right guys?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Rusty Dust and welcome to the forum. Lest's say that you joined the Marines at 18 served eight that's 26 and are currently doing 4 years of nursing training making you 30 when you finish. It will be a pretty bad waste to throw away your masters in the legion. Unless of course you wish to carry on with the medic side.
Otherwise I would recommend that you try to re-enlist with the US marines. If you don't think that you'll be up to scratch for re-enlisting (physically), then it would be the same for the Legion. Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Joe, he would have to join the Navy if he wished to be a Nurse. The Marine Corps does not have its own organic Corpsman, they are in the Navy, just assigned to Marine Corps Commands. HA! They thought they joined the Navy but in reality, many and I do mean many Corpsman spend their entire time in Marine Corps Units. Or, he could join the Army or Air Force. The latter, the Air Force, is not very keen on taking in Marines, especially Marines who spent 8-years in the Corps. Air Force = Low Stress, the Marine Corps, well, Stress is our middle name.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello Rusty Dust and welcome to the forum. Lest's say that you joined the Marines at 18 served eight that's 26 and are currently doing 4 years of nursing training making you 30 when you finish. It will be a pretty bad waste to throw away your masters in the legion. Unless of course you wish to carry on with the medic side.
Otherwise I would recommend that you try to re-enlist with the US marines. If you don't think that you'll be up to scratch for re-enlisting (physically), then it would be the same for the Legion. Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

I appreciate your advice, I thought my degree would help me in the Legion but I guess it will not. I do wish to work in the medical field for the military but I'll have to see. Once again, I greatly appreciate your advice.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Joe, he would have to join the Navy if he wished to be a Nurse. The Marine Corps does not have its own organic Corpsman, they are in the Navy, just assigned to Marine Corps Commands. HA! They thought they joined the Navy but in reality, many and I do mean many Corpsman spend their entire time in Marine Corps Units. Or, he could join the Army or Air Force. The latter, the Air Force, is not very keen on taking in Marines, especially Marines who spent 8-years in the Corps. Air Force = Low Stress, the Marine Corps, well, Stress is our middle name.

I always liked the Corpsman, little rough around the edges at time but some of the best people I spent time with. I took a look at the Air Force website not too long ago and they really aren't keen on taking prior service. I guess I'll contact the Navy next. Hopefully I can get a FMF position, I know it is all "Needs" based but maybe I can be given a duty station of choice.