a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First part of my introduction. Joining next year.

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Good morning to everybody,

I'll introduce myself. My name is Luis, I was born in Switzerland (Baden) in 1986 but I moved with my parents and sister to Spain (Mallorca) in '91. My father is from Indonesia and my mother is Spanish. I have 2 different nationalities (spanish and Swiss). I speak/write perfect Spanish, Catalan, Dutch, German, Swiss-German dialect and my English is mid-good but not perfect. Sinds We had no more family here in Spain, my parents were working the whole day and I took care of my little sister after school, I started to cook when I was 6 and helping at home, every day doing some household chores. My father was a very disciplinary person (something that I'm very greatful).

I went to highschool but I left on the 3rd year and started studying at the Auto Mechanical school. I ended the 3 years but here in Spain you can't even survive with a mechanic's salary so I did not my fourth year. During my years at the mechanical school, I worked on summer seasons as a waiter so I could financially help at home (Mallorca is a seasonal Island and in winter is everything closed and you get better paid as a waiter rather then a mechanic). After finishing my study, I kept working as a waiter in summer and in winter I made some construction work, repairing some cars/bikes or anything I was able to do to get some cash. I turned 17, left my parents house and rented a flat with a friend, kept working in summer as a waiter and in winter doing some different jobs (I shall explain later why I left my parents house).

The winter of 2004 I struggled to get a job, so I thougt that the next winter I had to try abroad (switzerland) I lived there for about 5 months but never found a job so I went back to spain. I kept working just on summers and winter doing nothing becuse of the lack of money. Just realize to have a salary of 1100E and having to pay 500€ for an appartament or 400€ for a room and keep in mind that in summer you pay twice to be able to keep the appartament/room in winter. You get payd 426€/month if you are unemployed with that money you have to pay electricity and monthly bills so you barely have any money left to do anything. It gets even worse after the 2008 economically crisis.

In october 2009, I decided to go to Holland (Amsterdam) and I was lucky enough to find a full time job so I kept working until April 2012 when the company went through the 'suspension of payments' procedure. After trying and not geting another job I decided to go back to Spain.

I will write the remaining part later on. I will explain you my joining reasons, why I'm trying to join now and why I never joined the Spanish military.

Please apologize for my English.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi mate and welcome to the forum. I'd watch out on giving out too much personal information.

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
So, I will continue with the story.

In Summer season 2012 I went back to Spain and worked for the next summers doing different jobs until 2015. During the winter 2014 - 2015 I was also able to put some money together and get my Personal Trainer certification. After trying I got offered some very low paid gym jobs so in 2015 I finally got a got permanent season job at a reception in a very good company. I still had some problems to get some stability because of the long unemployed winters. I'm not someone who puts the money on the top of the list but without money in civil life you have no chance.

In 2017 I was at home sleeping around 2am (I had some days off), I woke up because some drunken neighbors (appartement just next to me were rented for young hotel animation workers) were making a lot of noise hanging around, breaking some glass bottles, breaking car mirrors and finally were bumping a old man. At the end I got in a fight with some of them and at the end just left. My next day at work they just told me that I got fired because I got in a fight with some animators of the company and threaten them with a knife. The judgment was a few months later and they never appeared there. So I lost a permanent job in September 2017 and sinds then I'm having troubles to get a job.

That's what I have to tell about my life.

Like I said I'm the first part, I left my house because of a bad relation with my father. When I was around 15, got in a closed hotel with some friends and just took some stupid things like a disco mirror ball, we were hanging out at the bar and drinking everything from the bar and that kind of stupid ideas. There are hundreds of hotels here, and in winter, everything is closed, it's like a ghost town. When there is nothing for young people and the winters are so long, stupid ideas come's up. The hotel we got in was already open so we didn't even broke in. Finally we were caught by the police and I had to do 50 hours of social work, helping cleaning strees etc. That's the reason because I never was able to join military here, one srupid action and you are out. At this point also started the bad relationship with my parents. I,ve never been very close to my parents. Was never good enough for them.

I also would like to tell you that I always made sports sinds I was 7, judo, taekwondo and later MMA, fitness, running etc

Part 3 is on the way....

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello PrivateFiction and welcome to the forum. It was me that changed part one from italics to normal type. The only thing worse (in my opinion) than a long drawn out introduction, is a long drawn out intro in italics :) But as I said that is only my opinion..:whistle:
Do heed Snafu's warning of not offering up too much information.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Id also reccomend not writing your whole life story, its unnecessary. Short sweet and to the point. Dont need to go into every detail.

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Thank's for your quick reply and advice I apreciate it.

Once done I will end my story short and to the point.

So my first and most impotant reason to join the legion is to have a second chance in my life and get stability. I also always wanted to have a family and someone or something to fight for sinds i've never been very close to my parents (only family I really have or had...).
The discipline and the straight way the Legion has in doing everything is also another important reason to join, sinds I really have a lack of direction in life.

I'm getting in shape and working hard to be mentally and physicaly ready to join next year and hope to be 1 of the 10 that get's selected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
I would like to thank to all administrators and members of this forum. I'm arriving to my first year of service. I'm enjoying this experience and new life style here in 2 REI, unfortunately what happen to "mon chef d'équipe" last Thursday. Kind regards to all of youIMG-20211111-WA0042.jpg

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I would like to thank to all administrators and members of this forum. I'm arriving to my first year of service. I'm enjoying this experience and new life style here in 2 REI, unfortunately what happen to "mon chef d'équipe" last Thursday. Kind regards to all of youView attachment 7328

Congratulations man!! I hope I'll be able to follow your example soon. My condolences for your chef d'equipe.

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
I would like to thank to all administrators and members of this forum. I'm arriving to my first year of service. I'm enjoying this experience and new life style here in 2 REI, unfortunately what happen to "mon chef d'équipe" last Thursday. Kind regards to all of youView attachment 7328
Great news, I wish you the best, I hope that I will soon be on my way to the Foreign Legion.