a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitness & gym videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I mean not everyone who does martial arts thinks he's bruce lee 😄i like the history & Tradition. In real life I'm very Humble.. Even quite at times. Not loud or anything. On a piss up i like a good laugh but not aggressive. I bet big jonny would whoop my ass 😁😂

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Fact? really?
I have successfully used a shotokan block called the age-uke. I got the better of a lad (a corporal, he started it) outside a nightclub in Germany. Despite pressing no charges when the RMP showed up, this corporal decided to show up to my block later that night with a baseball bat to sort me out once and for all. Mid-swing I deployed a rising block, the bat bounced off my arm* and he fell over with the momentum of my charge. I then kicked him near to death with rage when he tumbled.

Karate works, just get the hollywood karate crap out your head mate. That stuff doesn't exist outside the movies.

*Yes, my arm stung a bit the next again day but I still managed to deploy to Sennelager on Monday.
I believe that you did successfully applied that block, but have in mind, that block you mentioned is natural defense reflects which would most of us apply in that situation. Did training that move helped you ... yes for sure. Some moves from Eastern martial arts (those I don't have high opinion of) can be usefully. But overall impression and real fight effectiveness of them is very low if not even negative with some of them.

Karate is not that bad. It's a sport where you have fights with stiff punches so I'm not that much against karate. There are many others which are much, much bigger BS.
Problem that I have with block you talking about is way its used in Karate. At least in the videos I saw they using it to block all kinds of punches and that wouldn't work in real fight. Age-uke would be useful against punch coming from top. (hamer like) also (as you discovered) its useful against hits with stick like objects.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I believe that you did successfully applied that block, but have in mind, that block you mentioned is natural defense reflects which would most of us apply in that situation. Did training that move helped you ... yes for sure. Some moves from Eastern martial arts (those I don't have high opinion of) can be usefully. But overall impression and real fight effectiveness of them is very low if not even negative with some of them.

Karate is not that bad. It's a sport where you have fights with stiff punches so I'm not that much against karate. There are many others which are much, much bigger BS.
Problem that I have with block you talking about is way its used in Karate. At least in the videos I saw they using it to block all kinds of punches and that wouldn't work in real fight. Age-uke would be useful against punch coming from top. (hamer like) also (as you discovered) its useful against hits with stick like objects.
dude... i used to train with a shotokan guy. was a third Dan he was very strong. seriously if he kicked you, you would go down. most people only train maybe 1 or 2 a week but this guy was a fanatic.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Ah.. Yes was there a few times 😁. Remember one time i was there the Royal Scots wrecked the place.
Dusa always likes to give his expert opinions on bodybuilding, martial arts & it's always negative.. Always the same.. Blah.. Blah.. 😆
I'm not expert, but I know thing are two about martial arts and fighting. Trained Kickboxing for couple years. Has several matches. Been in several street fights. Nothing to much , but much more then many regular guys did. So I have more than enough experience to separate BS martial arts from those who are real.
And I'm not always negative. When you post something which is not BS I'm praise that. For example Judo is real sh*t!
I bet big jonny would whoop my ass 😁😂
OMG ! :D read whoop as whip so I'm having picture of that scene in my head. Big Johnny dressed in leather staining over naked bend Sexpert and using his big ... S&M whip. :)

Whip.jpg

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm not expert, but I know thing are two about martial arts and fighting. Trained Kickboxing for couple years. Has several matches. Been in several street fights. Nothing to much , but much more then many regular guys did. So I have more than enough experience to separate BS martial arts from those who are real.
And I'm not always negative. When you post something which is not BS I'm praise that. For example Judo is real sh*t!

OMG ! :D read whoop as whip so I'm having picture of that scene in my head. Big Johnny dressed in leather staining over naked bend Sexpert and using his big ... S&M whip. :)

View attachment 5596
you can join in too dusa... 😘

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland

I agree with you in most cases of TMAs, it is largely crap. But like Sexpert, I enjoy the old-school history of it. And I think the reason of its general uselessness is the way its been taught (in the UK at least) for the last fifty years. There seems to be a lack of conditioning and pressure testing.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
dude... i used to train with a shotokan guy. was a third Dan he was very strong. seriously if he kicked you, you would go down. most people only train maybe 1 or 2 a week but this guy was a fanatic.

Know of a shotokan lad that would time your breathing during sparring, or 'kumite' as they like to call it. He's wait for you to empty your lungs then punch you in the throat. It was a learning experience :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
yes Ex-pongo is correct. i did read a lot of stories about the early days of karate in the UK, mainly 60s i think when the JKA sent their instructors over. was not like karate today. they really did train harder. same with Iwana ryu aikido. i trained with a guy who was often in japan in Iwama with Saito Sensei (rip). he said what we do in Germany is a joke, not like in japan.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Know of a shotokan lad that would time your breathing during sparring, or 'kumite' as they like to call it. He's wait for you to empty your lungs then punch you in the throat. It was a learning experience :)
yes.. i think it´s not what style you do but the people behind it. If you find a good Sensei you are very lucky.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ochi sensei i spoke to and he liked ex British soldiers. He was a very warm man who laughed a lot. He represents the JKA in Germany.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
i never met Bill pearl in person but i had 3 long telephone conversations with him in 2005. Really is a great man, very polite. Gave me some great advice. spoke about his time in the Navy too.
20160726_163411_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
i believe he was 56 in this video
he even invited me to train with him. honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.