a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitness & gym videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yup..squats are a great exercise. Most young guys in the Gym avoid them but will do leg press, pros & cons. . but if you can squat then do them.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yup..squats are a great exercise. Most young guys in the Gym avoid them but will do leg press, pros & cons. . but if you can squat then do them.
I actually did squats for the first time today. My 1 rep max is only 210 lbs :(

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I actually did squats for the first time today. My 1 rep max is only 210 lbs :(
It does not matter, weight is relative. what is heavy for one guy might not be for another. I have seen guys just start in the gym and they could lift more than some long time trainers. I think higher reps are better for legs but again one mans meat is another mans poison. I did programmes like the 5 x 5 and i did not like it. I got stronger but i felt some aches and pains. my knee and lower back. I never do any max weight and low reps now. even upper body higher reps. Higher for me being 10-15. Squats are great with around 12-15 or even 20 reps. some of the old school guys did the 20 reps squat programme. I also see young dudes in the gym trying to bench press way too much weight. They end up struggling and doing a partial rep. The injury risk is just not worth it. I feel the muscles working with good clean reps with a meduim weight. If you are going to go heavy i think pyramid training is the way to go even if you do 5 x 5 the first two sets should not be max.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tom Platz was the king of squats.. he did heavy weights for insane reps. don´t recommend his training methods though...LOL

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'll probably so what you recommended, but the point of the lifting heavy was to increase my over all strength with the major compound exercises. I can perform my "soldier tasks" like carrying heavy things orpeople, I just want to do that better

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'll probably so what you recommended, but the point of the lifting heavy was to increase my over all strength with the major compound exercises. I can perform my "soldier tasks" like carrying heavy things orpeople, I just want to do that better
yes i know what you are saying bro... read Brawn from stuart mcrobert i posted a link on here. Abbreviated training with compound lifts

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
A note book in french is called a Cahier in french. ..Quair in my part of the Scottish highlands (Auld Alliance / Vielle Alliance obliged)
Adds : pronounced the same

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
notice the bar positions of each of them. Ed Corney has excellent form (in my opinion) Arnold always said he had trouble with back squats so he did a lot of front squats too. Depends too if you use a high bar position or low bar. sounds meaningless at first but you will find out when you experiment what works for you.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
on a serious note..potatoes always got a bad name. I love Potatoes. oranges, turkey, milk, broccoli, carrots, banana, potato, beans, whole grains, fish all good food.

Status
Not open for further replies.