a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitness & gym videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Its sad when adults think about children as retarded grown adults.
although the 5 main food groups are the basis so not so bad to teach kids this in school. I remember in i think 1972 we got free school milk. we sat together and drank a bottle of milk. then the Tory gov stopped it.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
although the 5 main food groups are the basis so not so bad to teach kids this in school. I remember in i think 1972 we got free school milk. we sat together and drank a bottle of milk. then the Tory gov stopped it.
Don't get it this one, can you explain?

Sohito

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
I actually did squats for the first time today. My 1 rep max is only 210 lbs :(

And what's Your bodyweight? It gives more perspective on the lifts.

If You just started with squats, I would rather say to avoid 1RM, like dusaboss mentioned. 2-3rep maxes are safer, from there You even can calculate 1RM, if You really need it for percentages. Safer way to go for testing are "two pops"- do 2 reps and increase the weight until You can't perform 2 reps. Another thing is, that for starter it may not be necesarrily important what are Your maxes, while there is probably a lot of space for body's adaptation to the movement. I did by myself a lot of 5x5 (that was always my favourite way to go with all compounds), but most important thing is full range of motion. When You build up to feel comfortable with specific weight for 5x5, increase it by few lbs (5 for example) and do it until You feel comfortable with that new weight at 5x5. Then You increase again. For me it was always good to throw in few weeks of fewer reps (2-4), or few weeks of 8-12 or even 15 reps here and there. In my case full range of motion at squats caused crazy improvement in running pace, too.

Here's the story: Guy from my job, who is 49yo and weights 155lbs, improved his bench press from 110-120lbs to 185-190lbs in 1-1.5 year, by doing 5x5 and occassionally going lower with reps for few weeks. After increasing weight by 5lbs, he did 5x3 or 5x4, and built that to 5x5- then increased the weight. Never trained before, beside playing some amateur football (soccer), casual running (he's naturally good runner, like whole his family) and probably like 1 year in the army 30 years ago... Anyway, chest was his main focus (2x per week 3 exercises + 1x per week one exercise), especially that he has some pains here and there, while going heavier with squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure about his shoulder press, though. By the way, he also got pretty strong back- built pullups from 3 to around 12, I believe (almost full range of motion, just no locking elbows) and does dumbbell rows with 70-77lbs.

P.S. USA provides the world with huge amounts of sources for training, especially military one- thanks to the internet.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don't get it this one, can you explain?
was just saying some of the nutritional advice we got in school was not that bad really looking back on it now. They made sure each kid got a bottle of milk and a straw :). some people were poor in them days. Then the Tory Government stopped it to save money. I mean i remember a guy telling me they had to use hot water on their cornflakes because they never had milk at home. I was lucky because my father was a Butcher always had enough to eat.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
talking of food just put the Grill on. some meat and salad is what i need. Just opened a cold Corona. Great weather today.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
No one in my family takes sugar because of the cost before nutritional reasons. .Porridge with a tea spoon of Jam, usually raspberry (we made it our selves) for breakfast
Egg ,beans and chips with a shove of healy bread most day's.
Chicken rosat on sundays

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
No one in my family takes sugar because of the cost before nutritional reasons. .Porridge with a tea spoon of Jam, usually raspberry (we made it our selves) for breakfast
Egg ,beans and chips with a shove of healy bread most day's.
Chicken rosat on sundays
i still love Beans.. hell cowboys swore by them :D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Scotland is the worlds biggest consumers of beans par person
Used to grab me a bottle of milk and Macentyre's rolls from some one's door step on my way to skive school....tin of beans and a pack of lornes in my haver sack, instead of jotters and crap. Head down the Woody (island) where the Rozz never go. ..Some times, if i had a braw day at the stores, i would treat my self to a bottle of Iron Bru or Pale Ale. .the bevvy i would get from the cattle market bar store. Pass thru the sky light and heave up to my fat useless wannabe buddies a couple of crates of this and that.
If the auctions were on. ..we would crash out in the Hay loft. Smoking what ever.
Living dangerously and on the edge, has always been my thing. ..You either have it or you dont. Aye, wits and guts is what it's all about. Fighting the System begins before puberty in my case. Torie baw bags

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Scotland is the worlds biggest consumers of beans par person
Used to grab me a bottle of milk and Macentyre's rolls from some one's door step on my way to skive school....tin of beans and a pack of lornes in my haver sack, instead of jotters and crap. Head down the Woody (island) where the Rozz never go. ..Some times, if i had a braw day at the stores, i would treat my self to a bottle of Iron Bru or Pale Ale. .the bevvy i would get from the cattle market bar store. Pass thru the sky light and heave up to my fat useless wannabe buddies a couple of crates of this and that.
If the auctions were on. ..we would crash out in the Hay loft. Smoking what ever.
Living dangerously and on the edge, has always been my thing. ..You either have it or you dont. Aye, wits and guts is what it's all about. Fighting the System begins before puberty in my case. Torie baw bags
I used to do a milk round before school drunk loads of milk. Then the Milk man would drop me and my brother off at home, fry up then my mother always made him bacon sannies ..would then drop us off at school. hanging on the back of the van fag in mouth teachers looking at us ..good times. The milk man got out of order one time and slapped my brother around the ear. my old man punched him in the face. so that was that. was just a kid at the time. also remember i did a paper round, the boss was an ex Argyll. Eddy Milcreest (think that was the spelling). good guy but you could not BS him. Did stick up for us though when customers came in complaining. top man. Not sure what rank he was but definetly an ex senior rank. W02 i think.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Had 3 paper rounds at the same time at one time
..morning Evening and sunday
Did the tatties, berries too
Car washing
Cut grass
Hôtel waiting at the Station Hôtel
Poached salmon
Tele phone boxes
Caddie
Rob pubs and clubs
No limits
Almost never attended school
Then i got done

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Had 3 paper rounds at the same time at one time
..morning Evening and sunday
Did the tatties, berries too
Car washing
Cut grass
Hôtel waiting at the Station Hôtel
Poached salmon
Tele phone boxes
Caddie
Rob pubs and clubs
No limits
Almost never attended school
Then i got done
caddie yes at Gleneagles Auchterarder .. met sean connery. pro celebratory golf.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
And what's Your bodyweight? It gives more perspective on the lifts.

If You just started with squats, I would rather say to avoid 1RM, like dusaboss mentioned. 2-3rep maxes are safer, from there You even can calculate 1RM, if You really need it for percentages. Safer way to go for testing are "two pops"- do 2 reps and increase the weight until You can't perform 2 reps. Another thing is, that for starter it may not be necesarrily important what are Your maxes, while there is probably a lot of space for body's adaptation to the movement. I did by myself a lot of 5x5 (that was always my favourite way to go with all compounds), but most important thing is full range of motion. When You build up to feel comfortable with specific weight for 5x5, increase it by few lbs (5 for example) and do it until You feel comfortable with that new weight at 5x5. Then You increase again. For me it was always good to throw in few weeks of fewer reps (2-4), or few weeks of 8-12 or even 15 reps here and there. In my case full range of motion at squats caused crazy improvement in running pace, too.

Here's the story: Guy from my job, who is 49yo and weights 155lbs, improved his bench press from 110-120lbs to 185-190lbs in 1-1.5 year, by doing 5x5 and occassionally going lower with reps for few weeks. After increasing weight by 5lbs, he did 5x3 or 5x4, and built that to 5x5- then increased the weight. Never trained before, beside playing some amateur football (soccer), casual running (he's naturally good runner, like whole his family) and probably like 1 year in the army 30 years ago... Anyway, chest was his main focus (2x per week 3 exercises + 1x per week one exercise), especially that he has some pains here and there, while going heavier with squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure about his shoulder press, though. By the way, he also got pretty strong back- built pullups from 3 to around 12, I believe (almost full range of motion, just no locking elbows) and does dumbbell rows with 70-77lbs.

P.S. USA provides the world with huge amounts of sources for training, especially military one- thanks to the internet.
I am 162 lbs, 5'10

Sohito

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
I am 162 lbs, 5'10

Can you translate this in regular measurements like kilograms and centimeters?

178cm and 73,5kg. What means, if properly executed, 210lbs is 1.3 of Your bodyweight. That's pretty strong for start, even if 162lbs is not that heavy. You served, You stated that You can handle soldier responsibilities, so You know best what You need. Getting stronger will never hurt, though.

P.S. For squats, good benchmark next to 1RM is number of good repetitions (ass to grass), of weight equal to Your bodyweight.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
178cm and 73,5kg. What means, if properly executed, 210lbs is 1.3 of Your bodyweight. That's pretty strong for start, even if 162lbs is not that heavy. You served, You stated that You can handle soldier responsibilities, so You know best what You need. Getting stronger will never hurt, though.

P.S. For squats, good benchmark next to 1RM is number of good repetitions (ass to grass), of weight equal to Your bodyweight.
My strength ration compared to my weight has always been very good. Performance matters most to me.

The training I am doing now is certainly doing what it needs to do. After another month this cycle is done, then I will do another testing, and then formulate a new cycle to meet new demands

Status
Not open for further replies.