a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Fleet Protection Group

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Recently I have seen more and more photos of Legionnaires on French Naval vessels and was wondering if the Legion has something similar to a Fleet Protection Group. For example something like 43 Commando Fleet Protection Group Royal Marines Commandos (UK) or if they are just attached to vessel for individual requirements as and when needed. I have looked on the website and the usual information points but can’t seem to find the answer.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi De_Paynes,

It's always best to show us what you mean, for example the photos. No-one is putting your word into doubt, however, it would help us to give an opinion.
I would think that the photos that you have seen are of legionnaires getting on or off ship for either an exercise or a deployment. I haven't heard of anything about legionnaires doing fleet protection. It would be a big waste of man power, unless they were protecting the ship while it was at dock, but that would be a group of legionnaires per ship. So please send us the photos.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
2 REI (6 D.B.L.E.) do or used to do a méditerranéen exercises with the Yanks (Nimitz)
Thé port of Toulon, is where we ship out véhicules and matos, some times
I have photos of us doing the biz, with the air craft carrier in the back ground
Many changes in the french army in recent years

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
US Carriers used to have a detachment of Marines for Ship's Security, that was cut back long ago.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi De_Paynes,

It's always best to show us what you mean, for example the photos. No-one is putting your word into doubt, however, it would help us to give an opinion.
I would think that the photos that you have seen are of legionnaires getting on or off ship for either an exercise or a deployment. I haven't heard of anything about legionnaires doing fleet protection. It would be a big waste of man power, unless they were protecting the ship while it was at dock, but that would be a group of legionnaires per ship. So please send us the photos.
I will have to have a look abs find the photos but I’ll post them once I’ve have them.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Firstly thanks to all who responded and can I add that they don’t just served to protect the fleet they also have other functions and operate at a company level.
• Juliet – board and search.
• Kilo – assaults.
• Lima – ‘Joint Personnel Recovery’,
rescuing downed aircrew/British military
personnel/civilians in a hostile.
environment.
• Mike – additional force protection for
deployed Royal Navy/Royal Fleet Auxiliary
ships.

For example three seven-strong teams from Juliet were recently deployed in the Gulf aboard Her Majesty’s Ships Montrose, Kent and Defender as part of the effort to safeguard shipping in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider mission of general maritime security (such as intercepting drug-runners whose illegal trade funds international terrorism).

I knew it would be unlikely the Legion had something similar but this is also why I asked in another post about 2REP 3e CIE and to what extent they operate at an amphibious warfare company. Looking for transferable skills so to speak. I have my second vaccination and a PCR test coming up shortly so I will be able to travel freely and the amphibious warfare had never occur to me until somebody mention something recently. Apologies for the length of reply 😂

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I’ve don’t it myself both in the military and as a contractor. If it was for the Covid restrictions I would have traveled to France in December but as it stands I have to wait for a second Vaccination and a PCR test to travel. The civil world has been turned upside recently and the Legion is a far more stable option.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
French army regulars and the Legion are two différent things...even if the attempt to equalise the two is strong
A lot of leave way is given to the Legion...too much, imo
But then it wouldnt bé la Legion anymore

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I come from a British military background so figured that the Legion and RM will be night and day when trying to compare the two. It’s nice to talk to someone and get questions answered so thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Firstly thanks to all who responded and can I add that they don’t just served to protect the fleet they also have other functions and operate at a company level.
• Juliet – board and search.
• Kilo – assaults.
• Lima – ‘Joint Personnel Recovery’,
rescuing downed aircrew/British military
personnel/civilians in a hostile.
environment.
• Mike – additional force protection for
deployed Royal Navy/Royal Fleet Auxiliary
ships.

For example three seven-strong teams from Juliet were recently deployed in the Gulf aboard Her Majesty’s Ships Montrose, Kent and Defender as part of the effort to safeguard shipping in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider mission of general maritime security (such as intercepting drug-runners whose illegal trade funds international terrorism).

I knew it would be unlikely the Legion had something similar but this is also why I asked in another post about 2REP 3e CIE and to what extent they operate at an amphibious warfare company. Looking for transferable skills so to speak. I have my second vaccination and a PCR test coming up shortly so I will be able to travel freely and the amphibious warfare had never occur to me until somebody mention something recently. Apologies for the length of reply 😂
Last year, Bootnecks from H.M.S Montrose in the Arabian Gulf made the biggest drugs seizure ever. They used their RM chopper for recce and were the main boarding party which also included some matelots. My source the Globe & Laurel.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Last year, Bootnecks from H.M.S Montrose in co-operation with the US Coast Guard made the biggest drugs seizure ever. They used their RM chopper for recce and were the boarding party. My source the Globe & Laurel.
I was on HMS Cumberland in 2005 when two tonnes of cocaine worth £200m was seized after intercepting a speedboat during a routine patrol. It was a massive drug seizure for the time but the follow year HMS Southampton had a £350m seizure. HMS Montrose intercepted around 450kg of methamphetamine worth around £18m, during a counter-narcotics operation in the Arabian Sea if that’s what your talking about; she has also had several other drug busts this years including heroin. It happened more then people thinks but it’s a crazy just how much gets through. The helicopter would have belonged to HMS Montrose and had RN pilot but all the same.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I was on HMS Cumberland in 2005 when two tonnes of cocaine worth £200m was seized after intercepting a speedboat during a routine patrol.
Hmmm seizures that big usually doesn't happen after "routine control". Someone didn't pay racket or someone tried to do more than their quotas were. Or maybe it was part of planned arrest for public so it would look like there is real war on drugs going on.

It happened more then people thinks but it’s a crazy just how much gets through.
Nicely said.

Drug smuggling operation and dealing doesn't going on as most people think it does. It doesn't go as many movies show us and it doesn't go as it is presented for the public. OK maybe some movies give us glimpse of what's really going on.

BTW how did you catch up speed both with both that big? Did helicopter force them to stop?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Photos like this one.

Attachments

• 83460822-753A-4647-BFF4-952ECF77EC49.png
    83460822-753A-4647-BFF4-952ECF77EC49.png
    672.8 KB · Views: 7