a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flying out today

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Flip flops were non existent in our day's
I can only think that when they do their contre-visit (medical), in Aubagne or Castel, one of the Docs noticed the state if the feet of the EVs. So now you should join up with shower slippers, if you should forget or not know about them, then you will be like everything else, issued a pair on arrival.
What is worth noting is that an EV should not leave Aubagne (or wherever he joined up) or nowadays Castel, in a worse condition than when he joined up.

I don't mean to change the subject... but St Michel is coming up. I'm already working on a video for my traditions playlist, if anyone should like to offer a thumbnail (legion orientated) with the Arch (yes he did hold that dizzy title) Angel Michel slaying a dragon - in the air SVP :cautious:, it will be considered.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I can only think that when they do their contre-visit (medical), in Aubagne or Castel, one of the Docs noticed the state if the feet of the EVs. So now you should join up with shower slippers, if you should forget or not know about them, then you will be like everything else, issued a pair on arrival.
What is worth noting is that an EV should not leave Aubagne (or wherever he joined up) or nowadays Castel, in a worse condition than when he joined up.

I don't mean to change the subject... but St Michel is coming up. I'm already working on a video for my traditions playlist, if anyone should like to offer a thumbnail (legion orientated) with the Arch (yes he did hold that dizzy title) Angel Michel slaying a dragon - in the air SVP :cautious:, it will be considered.
Here's one Joe:

Michael dropping into to Calvi with a bottle of Kroney to close the foyer (not sure if Lily Marleen is still used - but it starts with a trumpet).

Even got a REP insignia - nice touch...

St Michael copy.png

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As if she could leave us...duh

I think that was just a very hesitant peek over the parapet LPC.

You know - just to make sure there wasn't a medieval trebuchet loaded with a barrel of flaming tar and pig tripes ready to launch.

COME BACK SHIRLY ! Tu nous manques - (pas énormément c'est vrai), mais il n'est jamais trop tard pour se faire de nouveaux amis.
Je promets d'être un bon garçon.
Honnêtement.
Tu peux me faire confiance mon pote - I'm a doctor.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That is great, it isn't legion based, however it's a start.
In order not to change the theme, notably is the 'G Man' in or not? I'll transfer my request to my video thread (along with my latest video - uploaded only yesterday evening).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That last post was one that I had put on here for LPC's photo's of st Michel. I forgot to press the post reply :oops::rolleyes:. Kro, I like it a lot.
index.php

If you could get him with a 'chute (not deployed obviously -there's no point in being angel, an arc angel in fact {there are only 4 of them} if you need to use one) a ventral and move the REP insignia over his left breast, a little bigger perhaps and I'll use it. Perhaps not as the thumb nail, more as a slide 16:9 for the legion celebrations.
If anyone has anymore ideas, please put them on my video page. I can't use the Lili Marleen song because of copyright.
Perhaps just the ventral. and a beret.

Last edited:

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That is great, it isn't legion based, however it's a start.
In order not to change the theme, notably is the 'G Man' in or not? I'll transfer my request to my video thread (along with my latest video - uploaded only yesterday evening).
I was only having a laugh Joe - Krony and all. It wasn't meant to be serious.

If you do need something decent however give me a shout. We've got an in-house graphic art studio here that could tidy up any ideas you've got.

Regarding "G Man" - who knows?

If he did walk the walk and wasn't tossed out at Nogent he should be on a train to Aubagne Thursday or Friday from memory.

If he gets there it's then anybody's guess. EVs get thrown out from about day 3 onwards, but if he gets to rouge that could be up to 4 weeks as you know.

If he does get to Castel, the earliest we could hear anything would probably be 4 or 5 months later (unless external comms are allowed now during instruction).

That's a lot of IFs.

Shame he didn't show us his cum face in front of the gates. Things would have been a little more solid.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I was only having a laugh Joe - Krony and all. It wasn't meant to be serious.

If you do need something decent however give me a shout. We've got an in-house graphic art studio here that could tidy up any ideas you've got.
The whole point of the exercise is that it's not just me, mate.
I like the idea of Mick and the trumpet with the bottle of kro, the ventral, the beret and the REP badge, a lot. Perhaps flying over a scene from indochina (I don't want to give too much away).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Regarding "G Man" - who knows?

If he did walk the walk and wasn't tossed out at Nogent he should be on a train to Aubagne Thursday or Friday from memory.

If he gets there it's then anybody's guess. EVs get thrown out from about day 3 onwards, but if he gets to rouge that could be up to 4 weeks as you know.

If he does get to Castel, the earliest we could hear anything would probably be 4 or 5 months later (unless external comms are allowed now during instruction).

That's a lot of IFs.

Shame he didn't show us his cum face in front of the gates. Things would have been a little more solid.
if he gets to Castel, they are allowed out once they have their kepis.
There is a cyber café in town. they are then allowed to buy telephones - from the foyer:love::ROFLMAO: which they are allowed to use from time to time, at the chef de section's discretion.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Using the IP address to trace a location for a roaming phone isn't always reliable. If he is using his roaming service it will often display his home IP address. I'm quoting from a Quora message board here, but this seems to be the consensus:

"IP addresses can roam, but they rarely do since the expense and complexity to do so generally exceeds the benefit. In mobile phone networks, a foreign mobile network will typically “tunnel” your traffic to your home network so that will get an IP address on the home network. This is traffic-inefficient, but makes per-kilobyte billing and settlement between the two networks more clean."

However if you are logged onto a local wi-fi service the content IP address will be local, while your user registration IP address will be your home address. The screenshot Voltigeur uploaded seems to indicate content uploaded on a wi-fi network in Nice, France from a phone registered in the USA.

So chances are our friend Galgano is indeed in France, but whether he's swanning around on some sort of religious pilgrimage or peeling spuds in Fort de Nogent only time will tell!
I had several private conversations with him and I think he is being genuine, hope he is. No one on the forum has attempted to join in quite a while.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Flip flops were non existent in our day's
Post Schitum : i had the Féria de Nîmes to do with...and flooding and electic cuts and no fkn water... lucky for me i only drink beer
Hope you have it all back on by now. In Louisiana we had a major Hurricane hit at the end of August, I was without Power and Internet for over a week. In some areas they still do not have power. Hurricane Ida came in as a Category 4 or 5, winds over 200 mph were recorded in gusts, the sustained winds were around 150 mph.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
if he gets to Castel, they are allowed out once they have their kepis.
There is a cyber café in town. they are then allowed to buy telephones - from the foyer:love::ROFLMAO: which they are allowed to use from time to time, at the chef de section's discretion.
Yes of course Joe - it was the same in my time. We got an outing or two to Castel after the kepi marche but always accompanied by a section fut fut or higher (who was also the banker). It was only the last week before affectation from memory that we got a free run without having a nanny (I think it was called "carte blanche" at the time) - but the MPs were always around.

I'm not sure I get the telephone thing to be honest - it sort of defeats the whole object of disappearing from the face of the Earth - especially for the runners.

"le Cafard" bites deep during the early weeks of instruction as we all know, and it would only take a moment of sentimental stupidity to make the journey they are on totally pointless to a large degree.

I'm guessing the foyer phones are €10 burners (the old Nokia type) with no photo or video capability ? If not, I've totally lost the plot.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I had several private conversations with him and I think he is being genuine, hope he is. No one on the forum has attempted to join in quite a while.
I think he's genuine too USM and I do hope he's in the system somewhere. It's true however that he's not typical Legion material (the "Orthodox anointing oil" and "strangely artistic photo" episodes for example). It's easy to see why he may be considered to be a Walter.

Going back 10 years + there were many more shoot'em up and gungho types on the forum. Many of them said they were going, so a lot of effort was put in by us ex-cons to steer them on the right path. Most turned out to be dreamers of course and just disappeared down the deep hole they had dug for themselves.
If you say your walking through the gates on Tuesday you can't appear on the forum on Wednesday - so it was a case of Harakiri for the most part.

Personally I'm far happier with far less but far more "balanced" wanabees.