a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food

RussUK

Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Just posting this out of interest as I can't seem to find it anywhere on here. What's the current situation with food and meals in the Legion? What kind of stuff will they feed you & how many meals a day do you get?

Not expecting 5 star food or even 3 meals a day but just wanting an idea what to expect! Read plenty of books on past history just wondering if it's changed or is it still bread and water?

Heard you lose a lot of weight in training is this down to not getting fed enough?

Thanks in advance,
RussUK

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
You get enough food for your organism to function, and it has to function top speed. But you feel hungry because you only have what is necessary to function : no soda, no lollipop !

And you lose weight, which in the end is very good for your health and for your ability to perform as simple exercises as a very fast Parcours d'obstacles.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
You will get a typical French breakie, Coffee, black or with some milk in it, or milk chocolate, a piece of baguette, 15 grams of butter, jam about the same amount and that's it until lunch. You will get served the right amount of calories, with the means of collective cooking, then dinner, same. During the Instruction, the change of alimentations and your habits of eating shite in between, will takes its toll and you will lose that extra useless couch potato fat you are so used to. Once through this horrible experience, if you make it to a Regiment, you can have a 9 o'clock snack, at the company club, of course, you pay, to keep you happy and alive until lunch. and in the afternoon, you can still find something to stuff your face with, until dinner.
The food in the Legion, may not be your mother's cooking and anyway, you are there to serve France, in the Legion, so you eat what the host serves you.
I hope this answerd your question.

P.S.: ignite your next BBQ with your book(s). Water and bread... Was that Jenning's “Mouthful of cocks?â€￾

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I Should add, during the basics, everyone are equally hungry,stealing food for your own comfort is like selling your mates to save your own skin, a deadly sin!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I Should add, during the basics, everyone are equally hungry,stealing food for your own comfort is like selling your mates to save your own skin, a deadly sin!

We had one guy stealing a salami from the kitchen supply room. I don't even want to relate what his punishment was. BTW, we all had to be present while he was punished. I suppose to teach everyone a lesson.

warwick

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We had one guy stealing a salami from the kitchen supply room. I don't even want to relate what his punishment was. BTW, we all had to be present while he was punished. I suppose to teach everyone a lesson.
I guess there are many things you can do to a man with a salami stick if you try hard enough, but please... tell us it wasn't that...

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
During operations, you can have to move fast and far away from the kitchen ! We then eat rations. But what happens when the operation is longer than foreseen and you don't have enough rations ?

In 2 REP we had an excellent sergeant who trained our group of ‘young legionnaires’. He took us for ‘a three days walk’ through Corsica, and kept us walking during 4 or 5 days. The first day, I finished dreadfully hungry, the next time I had taken with me dry meat and chocolate... and all of us survived. In Mali, none of my comrade died from hunger despite the fact that operations took days and days.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I guess there are many things you can do to a man with a salami stick if you try hard enough, but please... tell us it wasn't that...
I bet it was, knowing the Legion sense of humour.

We caught one once all over a bloody Mars bar, he almost got lynched not about the choc bar, but stealing it.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
We caught one once all over a bloody Mars bar, he almost got lynched not about the choc bar, but stealing it.
Different rules in that world mate. Nearly kicked the life out of a guy for stealing a packet of tuna off me!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Aye Pongo. If I remember rightly, after the lads ie the cadre had finished with him, he didn't last long after that. I believe he asked to go civil, mainly for the sake of his health.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Somebody told me, that at Camerone Day you can see the meals form all over the world, because Legionnaires come from all over the world and it's their day to prepare the celebration. From Polinesia to .... can't remember where but a circle around the world it is/was !
(wonder if there is a sarma place LOL)

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Somebody told me, that at Camerone Day you can see the meals form all over the world, because Legionnaires come from all over the world and it's their day to prepare the celebration. From Polinesia to .... can't remember where but a circle around the world it is/was !
(wonder if there is a sarma place LOL)
You could yes, as with the singing, but the main meal is imposed and what you do after that day, no one cares and the cooks are relaxing. :)

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Thoughts of food, here's just an example of what you could may have to swallow. Camerone at Fort de Nogent, this is for the already enlisted, if you are a wannabe, you also get to enjoy the same meal, but apart. :)

View attachment 4544

There are restaurants here that charge a hell of a alot for something like that here. Impressive.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Not everyday food though, but when it get's to celebrate, i can tell you, the cookies are well worth many Michelin stars just for the work put in. The guy in white is one of the cooks, he's Romanian, a great and good friend of mine, the guy looking at him is Cambodian, yet another good friend and the guy pinching the food, French, aye good mate of mine and one of the buglers, when i served at Fort de Nogent recruiting 98-02.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
Not everyday food though, but when it get's to celebrate, i can tell you, the cookies are well worth many Micheline stars just for the work put in. The guy in white is one of the cooks, he's Romanian, a great and good friend of mine, the guy looking at him is Cambodian, yet another good friend and the guy pinching the food, French, aye good mate of mine and one of the buglers, when i served at Fort de Nogent recruiting 98-02.

Understandable, but still damn impressive the work that is put in.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Best Meals I ever had in any military that includes the Brit Army were at Camerone and Christmas

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don Pedro,

In the Regiment for a 9 o 'clock snack at the company club........you really wanted to say; 'country club'.

Pour encourager les autres, qui maintenant sont les wanabees,