a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION French Accent?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
As French is the common language of the legion, and is learned by rote does it have an identifiable accent.
That is to say if you were in conversation with a French national and they didn't know you were a legionnaire would they automatically know you were a legionnaire by the way you spoke, is the accent or the way you speak definable, and is it different from the national French military, for example if you served in Corsica would you absorb the Corsican accent. Is it even something you would notice?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
France being a multinational country, I don't think that you would get noticed too much once you have left the legion. Of course it's like anything (the language), it depends on the effort that you put into learning it. Some people don't make any effort at all. And then they are amazed, while still in the legion, why they get all the bum jobs and why they are always passed over for the interesting courses.
I have always kept quiet about being in the legion, except on here and facebook, even there I go under Steven Smith, so although I lived and worked in France for years, while out shopping or going into a bar no -one turned around and asked if I was an ex-legionnaire.
As for taking on the regional accent, I don't think that you ever totally lose your own accent. I would say it was more a question of adopting the expressions that would get you less noticed. If you were to use text book French, then there is no way that you would fit in.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
France being a multinational country, I don't think that you would get noticed too much once you have left the legion. Of course it's like anything (the language), it depends on the effort that you put into learning it. Some people don't make any effort at all. And then they are amazed, while still in the legion, why they get all the bum jobs and why they are always passed over for the interesting courses.
I have always kept quiet about being in the legion, except on here and facebook, even there I go under Steven Smith, so although I lived and worked in France for years, while out shopping or going into a bar no -one turned around and asked if I was an ex-legionnaire.
As for taking on the regional accent, I don't think that you ever totally lose your own accent. I would say it was more a question of adopting the expressions that would get you less noticed. If you were to use text book French, then there is no way that you would fit in.
Joe would you be able to recognize if someone speak legion French? Is there certain accents you get after time spent are there just certain expressions? Kurva being first you learn. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe would you be able to recognize if someone speak legion French? Is there certain accents you get after time spent are there just certain expressions? Kurva being first you learn. :)
I suppose if someone has the aire of ex-military about him and is speaking French with an accent, then yes I'd assume he was ex-legion. But other than that, no. There are certain phrases which would come out after a few beers, but none that come to mind at the moment. The easiest way to tell is when there are a bunch of them, on leave together, where the common language is French !
I haven't seen any comments from you on my channel recently, are you boycotting it? :oops: ;)