a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Army to replace marksman rifle

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Didn't know that. I don't know much about rifles anyway.

Interesting fact.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We should get the lady on the right to test fire these weapons. I don't know if any of you are familiar apart sexpert, Chas, Scouse, Mark and a few others, but the old SLR his a pretty good kick to it. And it's one of those old fashion rifles where you still have to look through the sights. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 4031
Yeah.. The good old SLR.. You had to use your marksmanship principles with this baby. I did fire the SA 80, the first Model. Very accurate but a lot of problems in the begining. My personal weapon was an SMG. Pea Shooter ...haha

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Yeah.. The good old SLR.. You had to use your marksmanship principles with this baby. I did fire the SA 80, the first Model. Very accurate but a lot of problems in the begining. My personal weapon was an SMG. Pea Shooter ...haha
The sterling?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As an army chef, it was our standard issue,
Remember when the infantry first got the sa80... I was attached to the Green howards (87) in Londonderry. Me with an SLR, they all had SA 80... LOL. Yeah people like Reme had SMG too. Was easier Jumping in & out a wagon with it. Swung round & smacked my face a few times...ouch

Still remember the LMG...LOL but the jimpy was fun to fire.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) It's worth noting the US is changing calibre soon to 6.8mm , I wonder what the Ministère des Armées think of that. (...)
Has this been confirmed? I heard that, although the 6.8×43 mm cartridge, designed by Remington, has better performance that the NATO standard 5.56×45 mm, the conversion to the new caliber had been put on hold, due to the large installed base of 5.56 caliber weapons.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Has this been confirmed? I heard that, although the 6.8×43 mm cartridge, designed by Remington, has better performance that the NATO standard 5.56×45 mm, the conversion to the new caliber had been put on hold, due to the large installed base of 5.56 caliber weapons.
There is talks about the caliber change, however its not the 6.8SPC made by Remington but another catridge that the researchers have developed. 6.8SPC is brilliant under 300m but past that 5.56 is ballistically better. Also 6.8SPC is designed for short barrels 12inch and under. This new round is supposed to be quite a cracker, better ballistics than a 5.56 but greater kinetic energy than 7.62 at 600m. Unfortunately not much has been released so most facts are hearsay and speculation.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
6.8 GP

More 6.8 GP

The 6.8 GP will work on the AR15 platform so all that would have to be changed is barrels and maybe magazines to convert them.

scouse arley

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
I remember in 1987 we took the SA80 out to Norway for trials. I think we were the first ones to put it to test in proper cold conditions. I may be wrong here but I don't think it lasted 30 on the range before the mags started cracking or falling out. But the worst one was on 1 lad the stock and furniture fell off 🤣🤣. That's when the Brig called the guys over told them very politely to collect their plastic pea shooters and go away lol and told the armoury to get the real weapons out and we all got our SLR's back very happy bunnies.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It's incredible that whoever designed the SA80 let it out of the factory before it was anywhere near developed. It has taken years to get it close to acceptable.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
We should get the lady on the right to test fire these weapons. I don't know if any of you are familiar apart sexpert, Chas, Scouse, Mark and a few others, but the old SLR his a pretty good kick to it. And it's one of those old fashion rifles where you still have to look through the sights. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 4031

As long as you know what you are doing, most modern rifles are are good for your basic infantryman.

https://dms.licdn.com/playback/C560...t=o2na4kK8NKmVicixzoExa3_CvUetF6P1cRZga3KjsDk

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Heard via the grapevine that 417s are busy being tested by the tireurs de précision (marksmen) of 13e DBLE at Camp du Larzac. Looks like it's a firm favourite with the soldiers already.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As it’s a 7.62x51 mm I'd guess it would only be used as a DMR, 1 per section.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Oh well, MAS 36 and MAS 49 both served me well in Algeria, as well as the MAT 49, of course. So what’s the point of all this fancy weaponry, is what I would like to know. Same with cars actually, why would anybody ever want a better car than a Willys jeep is what I can’t understand.

More sporty those days anyway.

Oh, well, I suppose I’m getting a bit old, yaaaawn.462246234623462446254626

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Oh well, MAS 36 and MAS 49 both served me well in Algeria, as well as the MAT 49, of course. So what’s the point of all this fancy weaponry, is what I would like to know. Same with cars actually, why would anybody ever want a better car than a Willys jeep is what I can’t understand.

Oh, well, I suppose I’m getting a bit old, yaaaawn.View attachment 4622View attachment 4623View attachment 4623View attachment 4624View attachment 4625View attachment 4626
you forgot this jonny ...haha

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Oh, well, I suppose I’m getting a bit old, yaaaawn.View attachment 4622View attachment 4623View attachment 4623View attachment 4624View attachment 4625View attachment 4626
I've got a MAS 36 , good fun , the modern stuff is far more accurate and many times better at putting down suppressing fire .

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Remember when the infantry first got the sa80... I was attached to the Green howards (87) in Londonderry. Me with an SLR, they all had SA 80... LOL. Yeah people like Reme had SMG too. Was easier Jumping in & out a wagon with it. Swung round & smacked my face a few times...ouch

Still remember the LMG...LOL but the jimpy was fun to fire.
I think anybody who served in the British army loved the jimpy. Our favorite! 😆