a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Army to replace marksman rifle

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I remember in 1987 we took the SA80 out to Norway for trials. I think we were the first ones to put it to test in proper cold conditions. I may be wrong here but I don't think it lasted 30 on the range before the mags started cracking or falling out. But the worst one was on 1 lad the stock and furniture fell off 🤣🤣. That's when the Brig called the guys over told them very politely to collect their plastic pea shooters and go away lol and told the armoury to get the real weapons out and we all got our SLR's back very happy bunnies.
Good one scouse. When I think back to Northern Ireland the SLR was our right arm! Later on in the Falklands it became immortal! Especially so for the Brit forces.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Oh, I nearly forgot, thank you Sexpert. We also had the catapult, of course, which was very efficient against entrenched fellaghas. I attach pics of our latest models, ca 1957:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Below a picture of the future precision rifle SCAR that has finally been chosen to replace the bolt action FR-F2. It will have the same caliber (7.62 mm). The generic term in French is Fusil de précision semi-automatique (FPSA). The weapon and related equipment will be supplied by a consortium of companies, in particular Belgian firm FN Herstal which produces the rifle itself...

1578526033757.png

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Made by Telefunken - Racoms (Germany) and OIP Sensor Systèmes (Belgium). No mention of how many rifles have been ordered but you can be sure the 2 REI will receive some and test... we test most of the new matos before the others.

Left hander version

At least it's European. Charles De Gaulle will be tuning in his grave.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Below a picture of the future precision rifle SCAR that has finally been chosen to replace the bolt action FR-F2. It will have the same caliber (7.62 mm). The generic term in French is Fusil de précision semi-automatique (FPSA). The weapon and related equipment will be supplied by a consortium of companies, in particular Belgian firm FN Herstal which produces the rifle itself...

View attachment 5654
More a DMR than a sniper rifle but should at least match an FR-F2 on accuracy , does the Legion have the PGM Hécate II / PGM 338 / Ultima Ratio?

Made by Telefunken - Racoms (Germany) and OIP Sensor Systèmes (Belgium). (...)
SCARs are made by FN Hertsal .

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Any idea who is producing the scope? Also is it adapted for left hand shooters. I only ask because it appears to me that the appui joue is fitted for a lefty.
That being said, I have no idea about this weapon; where the spent cartridges are ejected from and so forth.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) No mention of how many rifles have been ordered (...)
I read 2,600 copies to be delivered by 2021.

More a DMR than a sniper rifle but should at least match an FR-F2 on accuracy. Does the Legion have the PGM Hécate II / PGM 338 / Ultima Ratio ? (...)
Yes, definitely a DMR rifle, like the FR-F2 is/was. The “heavy sniping” rifle in .50 caliber remains the PGM Hécate II and yes, it's also in use in the Legion, not the others, as far as I know.

(...) SCARs are made by FN Hertsal .
Yes, definitely.

Any idea who is producing the scope? (...)
From what I've read, among the consortium of companies that won the tender, FN Herstal will supply the rifle itself and the regular telescopic sight, Telefunken-Racoms the night-vision scope and MEN the ammunition.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I wonder why Photonis didn't get the NV scope contract. So much for patriotism.
I have no clue. Don’t even know if they submitted an offer. Or maybe they were associated with a rifle manufacturer that wasn’t finally selected. Surprised also to see that the HK-417 wasn’t chosen. It made some sense, after the HK-416 was selected to replace the FAMAS. Could be political reasons, to “console” the Belgian who lost the bid to HK on that one.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

@Surfguy they are using S&B scopes, doubt they'll use the PMII's though. The variant they are adopting is the MK20 SSR, basically an accurized version of the SCAR-H (SCAR-17). France is the first country to accept the SSR as a general DMR out of all the trials they've submitted. Still very surprised they lost out to the 417/G28 family.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

@Surfguy they are using S&B scopes, doubt they'll use the PMII's though. The variant they are adopting is the MK20 SSR, basically an accurized version of the SCAR-H (SCAR-17). France is the first country to accept the SSR as a general DMR out of all the trials they've submitted. Still very surprised they lost out to the 417/G28 family.
Fitted with a 1-8 scope , quite low powered, definitely a DMR not a sniper rifle what ever the press call it , a new FR2 would possibly still have the edge on it for long range shots.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Fitted with a 1-8 scope , quite low powered, definitely a DMR not a sniper rifle what ever the press call it , a new FR2 would possibly still have the edge on it for long range shots.
Definitely, could easily make shots at 600+ very easily, definite potential to go out further with the right ammo, plus that long 20inch barrel really helps the 308.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
SA80 a very poor weapon indeed. Failed under cold weather conditions. Subsequently trialled by RMs' in desert. Used in Afghanistan by RMs' under warfare conditions and failed again. Universally loathed and men tried to obtain virtually any other weapon available.

In my day I had the superb and war proven Lee Enfield Mk 4 303 and then the even better SLR.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It certainly makes the mind boggle when you think that the Brit army invested X amount of money into a rifle without completely putting it through its paces.
The newer model is supposed to be better. I would trust this Corps in their Evaluation. The first sa80 was not good but it was very accurate. I only fired the first. Was easy to hit the target even with iron sights.