a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Foreign Legion -187th Anniversary

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Surfguy, the date that you see the info, says 2017/03/10, it has it on the lien even. No worries though.
However, I would like to point out a bit of a dispute. Was the legion created in 09 or 10 March 1831. There is an original in the museum as well as other places. Now why did I put the an in Italic, because (I'm not trying to take anyone for a fool here) in those days everything had to be copied out by hand. So you did not just have one original but several.
So when the king - you will have to look all the history up to know which, gave the order to create a legion consisting of foreigners, he did give the order on the 09th of March 1831. However once the copy for the minister of the Armies, a copy for his own court, etc was drawn up it was not ready for signature until the 10th, the next day.
Is a King's verbal order law, in those days yes. Does a law become official only once it has been signed by the authority, today yes.

One thing that you can count on, on your corporal's course if you write the 9th no point, if you write the 10th one point.

So yes the legion will celebrate tomorrow it's 187th Birthday.

Last edited: