French Foreign Legion: a few questions.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Ireland
Hello it's me again a 20 year old guy from Ireland :),
So I made my mind up got my "French vocabulary" which I will learn for next two months I also know some basic French from my school. When it comes to all the tests I'm not worried however I will still practice some IQ questions. I realized that if someone wants to join the Legion he should keep it to himself not even say it to parents less than the day of departure since the'll call you a psycho.

Anyways few questions,

Should I mention my degree? To be honest it's like a fart in space, so I guess i'll only mention it if asked.
I know two languages fluent English/Polish so I'll mention that for sure.
Physical tests I'm not worried at all I've been doing serious training for my sports tournaments in martial arts so I know how to prepare well.
And the motivation I'm worried I wont be the one they look for however I'll understand that since not everyone is made for all professions.
Thank you guys for reply.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Wherever you go, people will always show favor to those who are humble, competent, and sincere. Initially, I thought I was in great shape, but I was advised to train specifically for pull ups and proper form, Luc-Léger, and long distance running.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) I realized that if someone wants to join the Legion he should keep it to himself not even say it to parents less than the day of departure since the'll call you a psycho. (...)
I think you are wrong about that. You should inform your family about your intentions and prepare them for that. If you are in good relations with them and if you know that they wouldn't get in your way.
As for others... it depends where you live. But usually it's better to keep that info for you and person's really close to you. Talking from personal experience-mistake (no matter I still didn't go)
(...) Should I mention my degree? To be honest it's like a fart in space so I guess i'll only mention it if asked.
I know two languages fluent English/Polish so I'll mention that for sure. (...)
Languages are surely a plus, as for degree I don't know, but I guess it couldn't be minus. They would ask you roughly about your life so you would have to say about time at college anyway ... so...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
So ? And the questions are? I mean from those that you haven't already answered yourself. :)
What you have to try to understand is that this can be compared to a job interview in some ways. But in other ways it is completely different.
You will be asked about your education, what are you going to do? Lie ? :rolleyes:
They will ask you what languages you speak, being Polish and living in Ireland, Lie? (it may be a good idea to add that you have been trying to learn French since x amount of months - or you could always lie again).
All these answers (or lies) will be noted down. And the next day or a couple of days later you will be called back into the “gestapo”'s office and asked the same type of questions but in a different manner. If you have lied and you see that you have put your foot in it, there is no coming clean afterwards. Lying means the door.
You either lie about your life history and learn it off by heart or you tell the truth. Everyone has something to hide or prefers not to tell about it, just make sure that you are consistent.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
No reason to keep having a degree quiet , how did you manage to get a degree at 20? whats it in ? it appears you have no bad past / history so you should be entirely honest , as has been mentioned already concentrate on fitness and French language.
I can understand you not wanting to tell friends and family about your intentions , no doubt some of them will try to dissuade you from joining , better to drop them a line when you are in France.

OP
A
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Ireland
It was 3 years engineering degree actually at one of the best university in Ireland I was just put a class to front admin mistake when I came here by school.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
It was 3 years engineering degree actually at one of the best university in Ireland I was just put a class to front admin mistake when I came here by school.
That proves you able to study and see things through so I`d get stuck into learning French and spend the rest of your time fitness training , if you have no illness/ bad teeth and have good eyesight then everything is in your favour.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What? Wait, how old you were when finished high school? Is I know engineering degrees usually take 4 or even 5 y.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Mechanical level 7 I will be 21.
Damn! In my country is 5 F-ing years. I was at mechatronics, Menged only to finish 2 years in 4 years time . They make it so hard It was new section at my college so they don't quite knew what they doing. so they mixed hardest courses from mechanics and electrotechnics. (electronics). It was total waste of time for me Then I wasted another 5 for economics (finished). If I went for FFL right after high school I would now missing 2 years for full pension. Instead I'm still wasting my time. :(

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Damn! In my country is 5 F-ing years. I was at mechatronics, Menged only to finish 2 years in 4 years time . They make it so hard It was new section at my college so they don't quite knew what they doing. so they mixed hardest courses from mechanics and electrotechnics. (electronics). It was total waste of time for me Then I wasted another 5 for economics (finished). If I went for FFL right after high school I would now missing 2 years for full pension. Instead I'm still wasting my time. :(
I did a FdSc, BSc(Hons) and a MSc in 4 years :)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
So grab your gym bag and go. If I could, I would literally leave tomorrow. But I have to fulfill my debts to society first.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I've been to college here, but it is expensive. I did learn quite a bit though, specifically about human biology, philosophy, language, and history.

Most viewed threads of the week