a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Foreign Legion Commander arrested

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
https://www.rt.com/news/331635-pegida-calais-legion-arrested/

Ex-French Foreign Legion commander arrested at anti-Islam rally, due in court on Monday
Published time: 7 Feb, 2016 11:59
Edited time: 7 Feb, 2016 12:49

""General Christian Piquemal, a respected former French Legion commander, is among the dozens arrested during Europe-wide protests against the ongoing migrant influx.

The arrest at the PEGIDA rally in Calais on Saturday was one of 20, and came as clashes erupted between the ‘anti-Islamization’ group and the police in the French port city. The troubles kicked off after the authorities canceled the planned rally.

The crowd booed the police, as they tried to get Piquemal and drag him away.

The former commander led the Legion from 1994 to 1999.

A crowd of 150 protesters gathered downtown with banners and slogans, among them: “This is our home.â€￾ They waved the French flag and sang the national anthem, only several days after the government had banned protests.

Piquemal, 75, tried to rally the group in support of PEGIDA’s right-wing cause.

He spoke to the crowd and was quoted by Le Monde as saying: “There are things that have to be respected, including the national anthem - the Marseillaise - when it is sung.â€￾

He slammed the police for not respecting the song and lamented how “France is in decline. I regret that you received these orders. You are forced to obey your orders, but you don’t have to behave this way in the field.â€￾

Far-right French politicians were also in attendance in support of Piquemal.

Read more
Supporters of the anti-Islam movement Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West (PEGIDA) hold posters depicting German Chancellor Angela Merkel during a demonstration in Dresden, Germany, February 6, 2016. © Hannibal HanschkeDozens arrested as Pegida anti-migrant marches sweep across Europe (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)
Piquemal was charged with “participation in an unlawful assembly which did not dissolve after warning.â€￾ Four people in his entourage were also charged with possession of weapons, including a knuckle-duster and a Taser gun.

All five will face up to a year in prison, and are due to appear in court on Monday.

“Some groups began to circulate in the city center, mainly far-right, neo-Nazi types,â€￾ Etienne Desplanques, a regional official, told AFP.

Although the police issued warnings to disperse, the crowd refused. This resulted in the use of tear gas and other riot gear. Several scuffles took place as arrests were made.

“We have had a series of arrests, in all about 20,â€￾ Desplanques said, adding that the number could be higher.

Despite tactics by authorities aimed at eradicating the makeshift and slum-like camps, some 3,700 migrants continue to live in the northern port city, in a camp just on the outskirts known colloquially as “the Jungle.â€￾

In the southern city of Montpellier, 200 people showed up to protest the migrant situation.

Across Europe, tens of thousands of people marched in 14 countries, which involved violent clashes.""

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sadly the UK is in decline. It is obvious to anyone of my age and I am not some bigoted right wing dinosaur. I am a proud veteran nothing less nothing more.
Our heritage is being destroyed on a daily basis as can be evidenced.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
For awhile there, I thought the UK was going to exit the EU. Would that be a good or bad thing in your opinion?

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
For awhile there, I thought the UK was going to exit the EU. Would that be a good or bad thing in your opinion?

It might be good for the EU which would be able to take more easily decisions concerning integration of member states into one big unit, it would certainly be very bad for UK economy : the Scotts would certainly leave the UK and go back to the EU !

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Normally I don't get involved in politics. I believe we should leave the EU. As a nation we have been adventurers and traders for centuries. We could go it alone and trade again within the Commonwealth. We have the skills and the entrepreneurs. There is no way that 28 different countries are going to agree on specific subjects. We no longer have control of our borders, we are subject to EU law which now takes precedence. The wretched 'human rights act' implemented by the EU means that we can no longer evict convicted criminals. Ministers within the EU are unelected. So we the British voter has no say. The accounts for the EU have not been signed off for over 23 years. Corruption is rife. It is simply a gravy chain. But even worse before most of you were born we were lied to by both Harold Wilson and Edward Heath. We had a referendum on a 'Common Market' as a trading enterprise within nations. I was mislead I voted for a trade agreement NOT loss of sovereignty. The other big lie is that the EU stopped war between the European nations. Nonsense it was NATO.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Normally I don't get involved in politics. I believe we should leave the EU. As a nation we have been adventurers and traders for centuries. We could go it alone and trade again within the Commonwealth. We have the skills and the entrepreneurs. There is no way that 28 different countries are going to agree on specific subjects. We no longer have control of our borders, we are subject to EU law which now takes precedence. The wretched 'human rights act' implemented by the EU means that we can no longer evict convicted criminals. Ministers within the EU are unelected. So we the British voter has no say. The accounts for the EU have not been signed off for over 23 years. Corruption is rife. It is simply a gravy chain. But even worse before most of you were born we were lied to by both Harold Wilson and Edward Heath. We had a referendum on a 'Common Market' as a trading enterprise within nations. I was mislead I voted for a trade agreement NOT loss of sovereignty. The other big lie is that the EU stopped war between the European nations. Nonsense it was NATO.

Over here in the America's, we have the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement, but nearly all people over here have not read what is actually in it and it is in a sense giving up many of our sovereign rights. It seems that a lot of other agendas are contained within so called trade agreements.

I believe the UK would be better off independent from the EU also, maybe not initially however. Initially it could be very bad, but in the long run it could turn out very good.

I often wonder if it was a planned provocation to send muslims into Europe. Sounds like conspiracy crap,yes, but I tend to believe it. They dilute and threaten the christian foundational beliefs. I know religion is a non-subject here, but I just wanted to mention this.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
It might be good for the EU (...)

The way things are going, it will not take long before many will leave ( being fed up to shout 'Heil Merkel' every day), anyway, the Techno-crap in Bruxelles, are sawing the branch they are sitting on... "Can't see the forrest because of the trees..."

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Sadly the UK is in decline. It is obvious to anyone of my age and I am not some bigoted right wing dinosaur. I am a proud veteran nothing less nothing more.
Our heritage is being destroyed on a daily basis as can be evidenced.

And our American heritage is threatened and is being decimated by our own elected president. Fifty percent of the American people agree and will defend our liberty and culture.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It might be good for the EU which would be able to take more easily decisions concerning integration of member states into one big unit, it would certainly be very bad for UK economy : the Scotts would certainly leave the UK and go back to the EU !

The Scott's are fiercely independent! And would tell the E.U, to feck off!

Fin109

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Over here in the America's, we have the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement, but nearly all people over here have not read what is actually in it and it is in a sense giving up many of our sovereign rights. It seems that a lot of other agendas are contained within so called trade agreements.

I believe the UK would be better off independent from the EU also, maybe not initially however. Initially it could be very bad, but in the long run it could turn out very good.

I often wonder if it was a planned provocation to send muslims into Europe. Sounds like conspiracy crap,yes, but I tend to believe it. They dilute and threaten the christian foundational beliefs. I know religion is a non-subject here, but I just wanted to mention this.

Perhaps the most important issue for Americans here should be the TPP, good thing to ready up on. Thanks for mentioning it. BS secrecy that is going to destroy us. Personally I don't care about the american way of life or whatever. Perhaps its where ive grown up but ive never known a real succinct american culture other than real poor black folks, deep south old guys, and rednecks. I'm not too concerned with "our way of life" being destroyed - I'm worried we are going to get increasingly shady like the passing of TPP, and we'll likely forever suck off big conglomerates. This is guaranteed with someone like Clinton (Or Trump, or Jeb, or... I've lost count.).

To be honest it makes me somewhat sad that the EU seems to have fairly low opinions within it of it. Seems fairly depressing - the idea of the EU to me always seemed like something worth fighting for. However I don't think it'll ever be a realization without more centralization honestly. Too much infighting and want for independence which is understandable.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom

GOOD ,TIME TO LEAVE , benefits to the UK being in the EU are far out weighed by the negatives , trade is the only benefit but that wont change if we leave , import / export duties on most goods are only around 8% and will balance out, Norway is not EU and does very well , the UK should take a leaf out of their book.

The Scott's are fiercely independent! And would tell the E.U, to feck off!

They could not sustain current standards of living without either England or the EU, North sea oil is worthless and likely to stay that way for years , the marxist SNP will soon destroy every small to medium business so to see how life would be as an independent see Romania.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
His daughter helped me with some advanced aspects of Francais and I helped her with English a few times while I was at 3 REI.
While at the "repos" on the island as "radio" (`RAS` chaque jour), I met his wife who was a very nice gracious woman.
He led by example and when I was around for the morning footings, despite a pronounced limp which I am sure caused him some pain, he ran.
He was in a tight spot career-wise when several Legionnaire disappearances, including a Sgt., occurred; All was eventually resolved (I was one of guys involved in sniffing out their locations) and he became General not long after.

I am surprised at his actions but we all change as we age.
Thanks for the post.

As an aside, I am in Grand Bahama for a bit. Any ex-Legion in the area? I have encountered other service types both active and not from other countries here.

Most viewed threads of the week