a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Foreign Legion watch

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Boy Boy,

Any watch maker can buy/ hire the legion franchise to put their logo on a watch.
No I don't think that the legion issues watches although there are some military watches in the stores which are brought out for reviews. No-one is going to take the risk signing one out.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
Hi Boy Boy,

Any watch maker can buy/ hire the legion franchise to put their logo on a watch.
No I don't think that the legion issues watches although there are some military watches in the stores which are brought out for reviews. No-one is going to take the risk signing one out.
Yes these below were starred items. Will get one of these. Good watch for any military.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Nice...a bit of shiny bling. Reminds me of military personnel carrying their cellphones (that were tracked by the apps being used) within their compound. Basic black is best, with a cover, waterproof, something that won't freeze to your wrist in the cold and something that can handle a few whacks and it should feel comfortable in the palm of your hand when you make a fist over it to knock someone's teeth out on the first punch.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
Nice...a bit of shiny bling. Reminds me of military personnel carrying their cellphones (that were tracked by the apps being used) within their compound. Basic black is best, with a cover, waterproof, something that won't freeze to your wrist in the cold and something that can handle a few whacks and it should feel comfortable in the palm of your hand when you make a fist over it to knock someone's teeth out on the first punch.
this looks like it was an issued one in WW1 for close combat in the trenches. can see it from the arrow & date. no watch on it though ;)
original.jpg

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
can get a Timex divers watch for under 45 quid. would do the job.
s-l1600.jpg

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
this looks like it was an issued one in WW1 for close combat in the trenches. can see it from the arrow & date. no watch on it though ;)
View attachment 6727
Terrible weapon, looking not so dangerous so kids use it not knowing how dangerous is. More dangerous than pocket knife. Don't use it unless you want to kill someone.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Terrible weapon, looking not so dangerous so kids use it not knowing how dangerous is. More dangerous than pocket knife. Don't use it unless you want to kill someone.
It was used by "special forces" commandos during WW2. They would often ditch them when they were captured as Adolph had issued his famous orders that all commandos should be executed.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
It was used by "special forces" commandos during WW2. They would often ditch them when they were captured as Adolph had issued his famous orders that all commandos should be executed.
yeah..but the one in the pic is from WW1

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Here's interesting short article about weapon. Interestingly they say "Sometimes, just the presence of brass knuckles can end a confrontation" . But they don't say what happens if confrontation doesn't end.
I really don't see how this weapon could effectively be used in war. Maybe those attached to knife or pistol and that is in civil war era or eventually WW1.
Also don't see it application on modern battlefields apart as torturing device. More or less all cold weapons except one good knife don't have place in modern armies.
Same with bayonets, rarely can imagen situation today for this weapon to be useful.
We all know that weight is problem for soldiers of today so I think I would rather bring with me several more rounds than this heavy piece of metal.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
Here's interesting short article about weapon. Interestingly they say "Sometimes, just the presence of brass knuckles can end a confrontation" . But they don't say what happens if confrontation doesn't end.
I really don't see how this weapon could effectively be used in war. Maybe those attached to knife or pistol and that is in civil war era or eventually WW1.
Also don't see it application on modern battlefields apart as torturing device. More or less all cold weapons except one good knife don't have place in modern armies.
Same with bayonets, rarely can imagen situation today for this weapon to be useful.
We all know that weight is problem for soldiers of today so I think I would rather bring with me several more rounds than this heavy piece of metal.
yeah but in WW1 they did trench sneaky beaky raids & in close combat a spade was used too. i could see a use for it.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
In a Memior from Major Dick Winter's from "band of brothers", he tells of of one of his men hitting a pow with those to debilitate him and he lay moaning for hours.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
I think the majority of forum members must have been in a bar fight at some time. I've had a certain type come towards me (more than once) either with a knife or one of these and told the fellow, you better know how to to use it because when I take it off you I'll use it on you and I would stand my ground and brace..I wouldn't advance but if the other guy did he had better have had his center of gravity just right. I think I was lucky that no one took me up on this. I've seldom seen brass knuckles used for defense, usually the opposite and there are some nasty variations on the design to scrape and poke with.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Just a little addendum to the above. I have a tattoo of a black jaguar with demon eyes made by a Hell's Angel guy freestyle. He said that each of his tattoos were recognizable as his yet different. At the time, prior to joining the Legion and in my early 20's I felt that if I was in a bar and I got into a situation that perhaps that tattoo (if recognized) could get me out of it. Nothing ever happened but I got pretty good at reading tats even before joining the Legion. When I was in Windsor, ON (in school) ..next to Detroit and a bit of a hub at the time, there were places that you didn't go into unless you had someone that vouched for you or you were just plain stupid. Although not the same thing, after the Legion and married, there were a few restaurants in Little Italy (NYC) that put me on edge but the food was good and the people were nice. While in Belfast a long while ago, my wife learned the hard way about watching what she said. In one restaurant/gastro-pub, she alluded to my "military experience" when I told her I noticed a few things about how and where certain people were sitting in the room. After her words I told her quietly to look at certain people that were previously ignoring us that now weren't. That night we were getting calls every hour and in the morning (after I told the reception what happened) we were taken off the register and moved to another (luxurious) location under different names. Ireland was part of her heritage and were there during a cease-fire where we were able to visit both sides (before all the white-washing took place) in relative safety. We had a great time overall and my wife got to appreciate the hidden side of her culture which she has never forgotten since.
To this day whenever we travel, I'm still observant regarding a lot of things (ie. the Putin walk (in context)) as well as people who can signal to one another in certain places..(pickpockets..)...etc. A little detail which may help some (or not), metallic or hard plastic credit cards can be made very sharp. Ordinary articles of clothing and simple, ordinary things in your pockets or nearby could possibly help you out of a bad situation...no need to carry nasty things like the above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
metallic or hard plastic credit cards can be made very sharp. Ordinary articles of clothing and simple, ordinary things in your pockets or nearby could possibly help you out of a bad situation...no need to carry nasty things like the above.
yes mate a rolled up newspaper or a pen. people in Escrima use it or teach it. however the below video is quite shocking. imagine this hitting your eyeball

Most viewed threads of the week