a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From A to Z

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm not sure what letter comes before A, but that is where I am at, and Z is the Kepi Blanc. Living in a homeless shelter, working two jobs (not complaining). Started the legionare training that was posted on another thread. I joined the forum to become more acquainted, got a lot of good feedback and tough love. Offended a veteran, which I am sorry about. This is a whole new world to me. The cigs got to go and soon, or my window is going to close. I believe this can be achieved in my life. Hard work, discipline, commitment, sacrifice, a little bit of good fortune. I'd like to learn more about the different regiments within the Legion and the ranking system. I'd like to learn the slow March and the legion songs as well. Today I left the shelter at 530, did 30 pull-ups 50 pushups ran 30 sprints, swam 20 laps 30 sit-ups 20 dips and hiked for an hour and a half with my backpack. I need to start saving my money, and absolutely have to quit smoking. I swam underwater about half a lap, which is going to need to be 2 laps to make it. Going to do another 50 pushups tonight after work. Tommorrow run for an hour and a half. 30 pull-ups 50 pushups. 20 dips, and 30 sit-ups. Saturday I hike from 6 till 2 with 50 pounds until I have to leave for work. Told my one boss about my desire, totally supportive. Job waiting for me if it doesn't work out. Mentioned to my second boss about going to Europe next year. Waiting a little bit to say why, but making a plan just in case I don't make it. Need to save 10,000 in the next 9 months. Called some freighter ships to see if I can travel to le Havre by sea. That is where I am at, whichever letter comes before A, and the Kepi Blanc is the letter after Z.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Galgano,

The alphabet doesn't end with the Kepi blanc, that is the first hurdle (which you would know if you had done my easy crossword - posted on here). Other wise you will be the same as the Amazing Ryan who did his instruction and is now selling info on line.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Galgano,

The alphabet doesn't end with the Kepi blanc, that is the first hurdle (which you would know if you had done my easy crossword - posted on here). Other wise you will be the same as the Amazing Ryan who did his instruction and is now selling info on line.
Joseph,

I thought about what you said here, and I slept on it. I didn't want to hastily respond. You are absolutely 100 percent right. The Kepi Blanc is the beginning of my journey, not the end. Your a good man, and I sense you want the best for me. Thank you

Galgano

Last edited by a moderator:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what letter comes before A, but that is where I am at, and Z is the Kepi Blanc. Living in a homeless shelter, working two jobs (not complaining). Started the legionare training that was posted on another thread. I joined the forum to become more acquainted, got a lot of good feedback and tough love. Offended a veteran, which I am sorry about. This is a whole new world to me. The cigs got to go and soon, or my window is going to close. I believe this can be achieved in my life. Hard work, discipline, commitment, sacrifice, a little bit of good fortune. I'd like to learn more about the different regiments within the Legion and the ranking system. I'd like to learn the slow March and the legion songs as well. Today I left the shelter at 530, did 30 pull-ups 50 pushups ran 30 sprints, swam 20 laps 30 sit-ups 20 dips and hiked for an hour and a half with my backpack. I need to start saving my money, and absolutely have to quit smoking. I swam underwater about half a lap, which is going to need to be 2 laps to make it. Going to do another 50 pushups tonight after work. Tommorrow run for an hour and a half. 30 pull-ups 50 pushups. 20 dips, and 30 sit-ups. Saturday I hike from 6 till 2 with 50 pounds until I have to leave for work. Told my one boss about my desire, totally supportive. Job waiting for me if it doesn't work out. Mentioned to my second boss about going to Europe next year. Waiting a little bit to say why, but making a plan just in case I don't make it. Need to save 10,000 in the next 9 months. Called some freighter ships to see if I can travel to le Havre by sea. That is where I am at, whichever letter comes before A, and the Kepi Blanc is the letter after Z.
My advise if you do and did what you say in your post above, hit the road my freind any army any country train a bunch of guys to get to a level, from what you are saying your standard of fitness will be fine to get you in if you can pass all the other hurdles as for regiments aim high in the sky their is only one regiment to aim for and that should be for all potential persons looking a joining don’t forget you volunteer to join the Legion if given the offer at the end of training and you have come out well then you would be offered to volunteer to parachute.
Homeless and down on your luck will have given you good skills don’t put yourself down and get to intrenched in all the internet stuff if your heads right you feel fit and no a bit of basics French hit the road and go knock on the door.
I no things have changed from my day but others might have different views I say go and let’s see Joe turn you green in the future, just respect the old soldiers as sometimes people forget and start to dish guys that only were giving advise based on their PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and we are all different 👁

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My advise if you do and did what you say in your post above, hit the road my freind any army any country train a bunch of guys to get to a level, from what you are saying your standard of fitness will be fine to get you in if you can pass all the other hurdles as for regiments aim high in the sky their is only one regiment to aim for and that should be for all potential persons looking a joining don’t forget you volunteer to join the Legion if given the offer at the end of training and you have come out well then you would be offered to volunteer to parachute.
Homeless and down on your luck will have given you good skills don’t put yourself down and get to intrenched in all the internet stuff if your heads right you feel fit and no a bit of basics French hit the road and go knock on the door.
I no things have changed from my day but others might have different views I say go and let’s see Joe turn you green in the future, just respect the old soldiers as sometimes people forget and start to dish guys that only were giving advise based on their PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and we are all different 👁
I truly appreciate the encouragement Papillon. Makes me want to work even harder. Thank you.

Galgano

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I truly appreciate the encouragement Papillon. Makes me want to work even harder. Thank you.

Galgano
Like I said forget the work harder get your ass to France and chance your luck at the Legion Roulette Wheel as it seems to be completely different from my day, yes I watched many a guy have a haircut and a trip back to the station to go home! But also some right misfits getting in I would class myself as the latter 😂.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Galgano,

Homeless and down and out has made you no doubt 'street wise' which can be a useful asset.
Go for it as soon as you can and good luck in all your endeavours.

If I was a recruiter I would definitely look at you for all sorts of reasons.

Think positive.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Chas, Papillon...

You guys are awesome!!! I'm so pumped right now. A couple of updates. I opened a savings account and will be setting aside money each week. I ran for an hour yesterday, and did the pull-ups, sit-ups, pushups, dips and swam. Today I did the chalestetics again, but I work a 10-12 hour shift and the pool was super crowded so I didn't swim really, but I did the underwater swim. Four strokes got me halfway. I could have went further but didn't want to run into the woman who I was sharing a lane with. The smoking is a huge problem, it's destroying my ability to run and swim properly, but I bought a pack of shorts instead of 100's, to lessen my nicotine dependence. I have been practicing my French with the Haitians at the shelter and my work. My Italian is rusty, but my Spanish is improving. I want to learn German and Russian as well. I want to arrive in France by Sea, but I havent gotten any responses from the freighter companies, yet. I am going to have to figure that out. I figure 6 to 9 months of savings and I should be in a good financial situation. When I do arrive in France, I'll go to Nantes. The legion has a recruiting center there.. How could I go and not see the island fortress of Castle St. Michael. Tommorrow I'm going to ruck from 6 until 2 before work. I work seven days a week, and train six. Sunday I don't workout because I work from 9 to 24. I certainly am a misfit, and an army of misfits certainly 💜 would be a good fit. I want to do recon in the parachute regime, being trained as a scout/sniper. I have done 5 tandem jumps before, and a long time ago completed a firearm safety course. I chose a different path in life, but there were some payoffs, aside from the consequences. When I was homeless on Pilgrimage in Bosnia, I was eating pomegranates and acorns I found in the woods, navigating by celestial orbits. The sun in the morning and evening, and the stars at night. Every night I would setup a makeshift camp and fill my sleeping bag with leaves to fend off the winter frost, and light small campfires to fend off the wild beasts. I love tracking and counter-tracking, and am pretty descent at both. I guess I'm just going to have to spin the wheel!!! If I go radio silent for a few weeks, it means I am taking my stuff to the next level. God bless.

Galgano

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Chas, Papillon...

You guys are awesome!!! I'm so pumped right now. A couple of updates. I opened a savings account and will be setting aside money each week. I ran for an hour yesterday, and did the pull-ups, sit-ups, pushups, dips and swam. Today I did the chalestetics again, but I work a 10-12 hour shift and the pool was super crowded so I didn't swim really, but I did the underwater swim. Four strokes got me halfway. I could have went further but didn't want to run into the woman who I was sharing a lane with. The smoking is a huge problem, it's destroying my ability to run and swim properly, but I bought a pack of shorts instead of 100's, to lessen my nicotine dependence. I have been practicing my French with the Haitians at the shelter and my work. My Italian is rusty, but my Spanish is improving. I want to learn German and Russian as well. I want to arrive in France by Sea, but I havent gotten any responses from the freighter companies, yet. I am going to have to figure that out. I figure 6 to 9 months of savings and I should be in a good financial situation. When I do arrive in France, I'll go to Nantes. The legion has a recruiting center there.. How could I go and not see the island fortress of Castle St. Michael. Tommorrow I'm going to ruck from 6 until 2 before work. I work seven days a week, and train six. Sunday I don't workout because I work from 9 to 24. I certainly am a misfit, and an army of misfits certainly 💜 would be a good fit. I want to do recon in the parachute regime, being trained as a scout/sniper. I have done 5 tandem jumps before, and a long time ago completed a firearm safety course. I chose a different path in life, but there were some payoffs, aside from the consequences. When I was homeless on Pilgrimage in Bosnia, I was eating pomegranates and acorns I found in the woods, navigating by celestial orbits. The sun in the morning and evening, and the stars at night. Every night I would setup a makeshift camp and fill my sleeping bag with leaves to fend off the winter frost, and light small campfires to fend off the wild beasts. I love tracking and counter-tracking, and am pretty descent at both. I guess I'm just going to have to spin the wheel!!! If I go radio silent for a few weeks, it means I am taking my stuff to the next level. God bless.

Galgano
For some reason dial me out of this one sometimes I get a strong smell of 💩 down wind whatever you do well good luck but something tells me this is more park bench or bus shelter pass time well you could just go and prove me wrong but like I said over and out!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
For some reason dial me out of this one sometimes I get a strong smell of 💩 down wind whatever you do well good luck but something tells me this is more park bench or bus shelter pass time well you could just go and prove me wrong but like I said over and out!
I'm 38 years old man. I can't afford to be homeless in Europe again. A few months to get my sh$t together is what I need for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Here is a resource for you and it is pretty much free.

Also, this is a preparation package for Marine Corps Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. USMC OCS is no joke takes 110% effort from the OCS Candidate

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Galgano, that is really inventive to think about getting on a freighter to travel.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Galgano, that is really inventive to think about getting on a freighter to travel.

You are putting in some really hard work, don't over do it and end up injured or get shin splints. Shin Splints take a long time to recover from the injury and you're 38 so any injury could be your demise.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was going to go dark on the forum for awhile, but I have some good news. I just landed a job working for the city. I should be able to move out of the shelter soon, and normalize my training. I want to thank USMCRET for all his advice, and support. As for the freighter you can pay and go as a passenger.