a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fut-futs are back

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Just like the topic says. I was in Castel a couple of weeks ago and this is what I heard from several people.

homercleese

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Are they the people who get promoted early and everyone hates?

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Why would they have fut-futs when they are supposedly full? From my military time, advance promotions were always done to "fill holes" regardless of whether the person was any good or not. What's the Legion's logic in this? Couldn't they take a switched on legionnaire that has already served in a regiment and just promote him a bit early?

norman

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I can't see what his wrong with "Fut-Futs". On joining (National Service) the South African Army in the 1980s about 30% (while still in basic) of us were taken away for NCO course, the top became Sgts. Then Corporals and L/Cpl we then joined the rest of the intake in passing out. We then spent around 6 months battle group training then deployed to the border 61st Mech.. Taking over from another NS company that had completed its NS. It seemed to work... if you have a guy who is jacked, why not make him an NCO?? Just a thought from a thick "Slope"

calauzarea

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Why would they have fut-futs when they are supposedly full? From my military time, advance promotions were always done to "fill holes" regardless of whether the person was any good or not. What's the Legion's logic in this? Couldn't they take a switched on legionnaire that has already served in a regiment and just promote him a bit early?

well since they cancel this and now brought it back - my thoughts are that it was better with than without.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Flash. I said exactly the same as you last night but didn't have the balls to leave it on. Great minds think alike.

So wanabbes listen up... It is tradition to salute the c*nt just before your size 12 rangers make contact with his balls. All will be forgiven then - honestly.... and even if it isn't it will be the most rewarding 10 days you will ever spend en tolle.

Lillegutt

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I guess I can see the problems with fut-futs.. Especially since they are on a fast-track program to get to caporal and then serve at castel (if I have understood it correctly). They train new legionnaires and recieve quite a bit respect. They don't have to do the shit jobs the first year they are in. This makes for a few grim faces amongst the legionnaires and premier classe legionnaires when they get to a regiment. Especially if they expect to recieve the same level of respect as a regular caporal that has been through the shit and the ranks deserves.

It's an "easy way out" and as far as I've understood is that in the legion nothing should be easy!

Murph

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Considering that a 1ere Class had on average 3 years service before getting his stripes and knows pretty much all they can teach you on a corporals course, despising these people who act like God's gift in Castelpiff- know feck all about how things work in their Reg, not to mention have no company speciality skills when they arrive - is natural thinking they are useless until proven otherwise!

Lillegutt

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Considering that a 1ere Class had on average 3 years service before getting his stripes and knows pretty much all they can teach you on a corporals course, despising these people who act like God's gift in Castelpiff- know feck all about how things work in their Reg, not to mention have no company speciality skills when they arrive - is natural thinking they are useless until proven otherwise!

My thoughts exactly!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If you stand back and look at this rationally boys, the truth is that it SHOULD be a very good way of building bridges between raw recruits and instructors in Castel-Bordel. That assumes of course that the would be fut fut has a single gram of compassion in him - which never appears to be the case.

The horrible truth (as Murph suggested in his God talk above) is that their sudden transformation from being a lump of dog turd (as are all raw recruits) to a being somebody with authority simply goes to their head.

It's a very sad sight to behold...

However the joy of being able to take the bitch around the back of the foyer and knock the crap out of her at a later date somehow makes the initial suffering worthwhile in my humble opinion. When you do get posted to your regiment, and are kneeling at your bed praying (as all legionnaires do of course) during a moment of severe depression when you have no more beer for example, it does give you something to actually focus your prayer on - "Please, please God, send that bitch here soon".

So - if they were out - and now they are coming back, is it safe to assume that the BPLE send them on a Motivational Training course before unleashing them - such as a quick tour of duty in the swamps on a "Thunderbirds are GO!" Zodiac in the 3eme for example - (and those that survive the spiders win a year back in the 4eme) ?.

Just an idea of course...

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
for those of you who think fut fut is an nice easy respectable way to make cpl
the fut fut is some one who did his instruction the one or two behind you he gets it for braking balls and can hardly speak french the two pol,s we had made it there job to try brake the brits make us desert we made two of there mates desert i kicked the shit out of the two pols in our local bar in marsselles 3 years later.
in instruction we had a fut fut sarg about the same serves as a cpl who did it the best way he through a young check lad out the window
the poor cunt was in a weelchair they said he jummed ...BULLSHIT
SO IF YO ARE THINKING OF GOING FUT FUT YOU WILL GET IT TIGHT AND FECK YOU

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Why would they have fut-futs when they are supposedly full?
Because this whole being full stuff is complete BS. There might be a lot of new recruits... but there seems to be a need for corporals and sergeants. And yes, there are also quite a lot of guys who are getting promoted "early" (early to me would be corporal before 3 years of service). This also depends on the regiment... In 2REI and 2REP it's normally between 2 and 4 years before they send you... Whereas those bloody wankers from 1reg, 2reg and 1rec generally go earlier.

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
The fut-futs do nothing good for Legionnaires or the fut-fut themselves for all the reasons already given. It was punishment to be assigned to Castelnaudary. Fut-fut is an incentive for an EV to stay. Who wants to do Instruction for two years in an environment in which only a combat company will do?? Fut-futs!! A fut-fut came to the REC.....he was sent back to Castel for the next CME. HAHAHAHA!! Sucker!!!!

andy bannerman

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As has been said if they are back I hope that they like taking a beating. When I did caserne Lapasset they had a mixture of guys about to finish their time and guys just getting into their... The three or four gods guys were ex rep and treated ev's like human beings but we still got a slap if we fecked up the rest of them were complete arseholes and DESERVED every kick and punch thrown at them and the best was Sgt G & Cpl T and he didn't give a shit what rank you were if you pissed him off you got decked and he was big enough no one fecking argued either

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Would never do it, for reasons entirely my own. I enjoy the sentimental reactions from the Anciens however :)

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Ahhh… The old “fut-futâ€￾ story is on again. It is probably one of the most difficult tasks in the Legion. Those who have a natural talent for leadership could be selected and have this opportunity proposed to them. From experience I know that very few of those who actually get this proposal refuse it.

Sometimes the selection is a failure and the guy is a total misfit, and in such cases the career is a very short one. Sometimes the guy is suitable and makes a good career.

Personally I was a “fut-futâ€￾ and after doing my time in 4RE I went to 1REC and the 3 ESC. It obviously depends on the personality of each “fut-futâ€￾, but in my case I have never experienced that anybody had a problem with my “pastâ€￾ or at least nobody had the balls to tell me directly. Anyway 18 months later I was on my way to my Sergeant course.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I have posted this before: some of the fut-fut's I have known had already a lot of combat under their belt. So why the denigration of them? Another in my Escadron had no combat experience, but the qualifications and he was also a good leader. I can understand the rancor if the fut-fut was an a.. hole, go then make it difficult for him.