a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game, Set and Match

Legion-eire

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Just a quick word to let all interested know that I passed out of Aubagne yesterday with my Certificat de Bonne Conduite in hand, 5 years done, back to civvy street.

Thanks to all who've corresponded with me or interacted through message threads over the few years I've been a member.

It'll probably sink in in stages, from now until the end, but at the moment it just feels a little surreal.

I'll most likely linger on here but in a more passive sense, reading and keeping up-to-date with news.

Cheers,

Dermot

O

Ossis. O

Unregistered
Well done mate...hold your head up high.Make sure you store everything in a safe place.Its only with the passing of some time that you will realise just how valuable it all is.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Good luck and good times with family and friends. Hope you adapt (well at least sort of) to civy life quickly.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Just a quick word to let all interested know that I passed out of Aubagne yesterday with my Certificat de Bonne Conduite in hand, 5 years done, back to civvy street.

Thanks to all who've corresponded with me or interacted through message threads over the few years I've been a member.

It'll probably sink in in stages, from now until the end, but at the moment it just feels a little surreal.

I'll most likely linger on here but in a more passive sense, reading and keeping up-to-date with news.

Cheers,

Dermot
Fristly congratulations mate well done for staying the course. Secondly you should have stayed in there is feck all in civvy street

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Many congratulations on staying the course with honour and fidelity.
You are now a member of an exclusive club.
Finally when you are much older you will recall those days with pride.
Well done indeed and enjoy the future.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dermot, give civvy street a try and when/if you get pissed off, go back. There's stages in the legion: the first couple of weeks, the first year, the first promotion, the first five years. You are now a trained legionnaire, if it doesn't work out go back. BUT don't leave it too late. Well done mate, where those that could not hack the heat, you came through. Joe

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Legion-eire, we haven't always seen eye to eye but all the respect in the world for what you have achieved. Now you will need time to find the ground, it was difficult for me. And for a lot of others.
I had to get back in for one last fling to straighten myself out, and hopefully close the door. Reserve forces might be an option. Or triathlons.
Speak again sometime.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Congratulations! Enjoy the "freedom" and the best of luck, whatever you choose to do in the future.

Legion-eire

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Thanks, lads, for the kind words. Civvy street can be a ruthless place but, for the time being, I'm looking forward to the different challenges it's undoubtedly already preparing to throw my way! Stay safe and well, one and all!

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
So what's next? Any thoughts? Travel, back to the financial sector, a trade, the 9 to 5, start a family? Maybe even a book is in your future! ;)

I'm sure you'll succeed in which ever industry you do decide to follow on in. You seem that type of guy.

I'm curious to know, how do you feel? A sense of Liberation, or do you feel like you're stepping away from a great big family? Is there that large a 'bond'? Is there any pain at the thought of not still being in the Legion??? Compared to five years ago you must feel as though the entire world is now your oyster. Excuse me the cliche. Or at least the English & now the French speaking worlds anyway. That must feel fantastic.

You must know some fellow Legionnaires who've recently left. I'm curious to know, if you yourself know, if all feel as free, if all find the transition an easy one. Depending of course on years of services, & perhaps areas of service? No? Feel free to chime in old farts. I guess it is the same as when one is leaving civilian life for a life in the military & it is a question of character.

And congratulations, by the way.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
So what's next? Any thoughts? Travel, back to the financial sector, a trade, the 9 to 5, start a family? Maybe even a book is in your future! ;)

I'm sure you'll succeed in which ever industry you do decide to follow on in. You seem that type of guy.

I'm curious to know, how do you feel? A sense of Liberation, or do you feel like you're stepping away from a great big family? Is there that large a 'bond'? Is there any pain at the thought of not still being in the Legion??? Compared to five years ago you must feel as though the entire world is now your oyster. Excuse me the cliche. Or at least the English & now the French speaking worlds anyway. That must feel fantastic.

You must know some fellow Legionnaires who've recently left. I'm curious to know, if you yourself know, if all feel as free, if all find the transition an easy one. Depending of course on years of services, & perhaps areas of service? No? Feel free to chime in old farts. I guess it is the same as when one is leaving civilian life for a life in the military & it is a question of character.

And congratulations, by the way.
To answer a few questions hell never leave , he may have done his service but if you scratch below the surface he will always be a brother Legionnaire. Hell succeed in whatever he does because all us old farts are Doers dont whing and whine like some. They just get on with it,
Anyway what ever road you choose to travel down best of luck.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Good luck in your future Legion-eire. Hope you haven't become “inapte civilâ€￾ and in such case, just go back before it's too late ! Needless to say you're welcome to keep contributing to the forum in any case.

O

Ossis. O

Unregistered
Legion-Eire,a word of warning! You are now officially a 'Walter Mitty' magnet.Stay calm and do not panic,there is nothing you can do to avoid these strange individuals.They come in all shapes,colours and sizes.More times than not they are harmless.A few words of encouragement and a quick smile will normally defuse any awkward situation.;)

funkyNights

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Congrats, ah I can only imagine the feeling when you walk out of the legion's gates for the last time ;D

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Congrats, ah I can only imagine the feeling when you walk out of the legion's gates for the last time ;D
Funky it's a strange feeling: "I've done it", "I'll miss me mates", "what's it like in civvy street now?" and the hardest question of all to answer when you go home: 'what was it like?' Sum up five years of hardship, being pissed off, being let down, mates coming through at the last minute, disappointments, 'it's not my turn for guard' "your on the next cadre course" and so on. you will be asked to sum five years (or more) in five minutes, not easy.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Funky it's a strange feeling: "I've done it", "I'll miss me mates", "what's it like in civvy street now?" and the hardest question of all to answer when you go home: 'what was it like?' Sum up five years of hardship, being pissed off, being let down, mates coming through at the last minute, disappointments, 'it's not my turn for guard' "your on the next cadre course" and so on. you will be asked to sum five years (or more) in five minutes, not easy.

Like I told him, the Legion is a "I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone."-type of experience. :D

I usually tell people that, smile and walk away.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Like I told him, the Legion is a "I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone."-type of experience. :D

I usually tell people that, smile and walk away.
Moi aussi je regretted en rein